Forgotten Realms discussion

forgotten Realms Sundering D&D fifth edition

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Schosser (mshazer) The world of forgotten Realms is changing to the 5th edition of D&D Sundering. my reading in to the forgotten realms have been limited to Salvatore. I have also never played D&D so if some one could explain how the Forgotten Realms are link to D&D and why they change with each edition of the game i would appreciate it.

message 2: by Steven (new)

Steven (stevenschend) | 12 comments Mod
FR existed in Ed's mind a long time before D&D existed, but it became far more than a place for Ed's stories once D&D came along. It became the setting for Ed's games and he wrote articles for DRAGON magazine for early D&D material all set in the Realms.

When TSR wanted to add another game world to its roster, they tapped Ed (as a frequent DRAGON editor/contributor) and he sold the Realms to TSR to be able to write game materials and novels. In the 30+ years since that time, many many more authors have had their hands in the Realms, but it all starts with Ed Greenwood--and even Bob Salvatore will tell you that.

Does that answer your question, Michael?

message 3: by Reggie (new)

Reggie | 1 comments The simple answer as to why the Realms change with each new rules editions is marketing.

To add a small bit of history, in case you missed it, Forgotten Realms was added to the D&D universe by game company TSR. In-game dates were established early on, beginning around 1355 (Dale reckoning - some smart person can correct me if my memory is off). Each new release of the Realms would increment the in-game year by one or so years and some game supplement(s) would tell the players what happened during that time. This went on even after TSR went under and D&D came under Wizards of The Coast. The reason was to continue to add new content in order to attract players to buy new stuff. Speaking for myself, this worked (and my wallet suffered).

The big change came with D&D 4.0. WotC decided, for whatever reason, to simplify the Realms (such as killing off most of the deities), wreck the land to change the maps, and jump way far in the future. Basically making it virtually unrecognizable to the old TSR era players. I don't know for sure, but I suspect they thought (maybe correctly) that the Realms "as they were" would not attract new players. As for D&D 5.0, I have no idea what prompted that change. After I saw 4.0 I decided to stick to the old school Realms and haven't bought any new Realms modules or books (not that they're bad, just of no interest to me).

Hope that helps.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Tharp | 28 comments Not sure where this topic should be, but is the Fall of Mystra portrayed in a novelization? Was there a big series (a la War of the Spider Queen) that began the spell plague and describes the repercussions?

I know it mentioned and explored in Transitions (The Ghost King by R A Salvatore), but Drizzt is just such a small part of the Realms.

Any help would be appreciated...Thanks.

message 5: by Graham (new)

Graham | 3 comments Michael - There isn't a stand alone series that I'm aware of that documents the fall of Mystra. The Haunted Land trilogy talks about Mystra's death and the impacts in the world so that may be worth reading.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Tharp | 28 comments I have seen that around, and will, now, definitely pick it up. Thanks Graham.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane | 3 comments The trilogy by Thomas M Reid explains the how and why of the fall of Mystra. It has characters from other series, which would be helpful to read beforehand, but not entirely needed.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael Tharp | 28 comments Which Trilogy by Thomas M Reid? I just picked up the Haunted Lands Trilogy (Unclean, Undead, Unholy), by Richard Lee Byers.

Will start that after i finish the Last Mythal by by Richard Baker.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane | 3 comments The Empyrean Odyssey

message 10: by Diane (new)

Diane | 3 comments Gossamer plain, Fractured sky and Crystal mountain

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Tharp | 28 comments OH Nice. Thanks Diane

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Tharp | 28 comments So, I just read that the Sundering, Book one: Companions By R A Salvatore will be a "new" Drizzt book and will pick up where the Last Threshold left off.

I hope this one offers a better fate for our intrepid Drow.

message 13: by Val (last edited Jul 12, 2013 07:54AM) (new)

Val Panesar | 33 comments So does the Spellplague totally happen off-scene? I always wondered when reading the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy if that were the case.

edit: ignore that, I missed the answer about the Empyrean Odyssey. I may have to look into reading that. Thanks.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael Tharp | 28 comments The Spellplague, The death of Mystra, all of these seem to be taking place far and away from DRizzt (except Cattiebrie being rendered incapacitated by it. I had heard the Empyrean Trilogy deals more with the spell plague and the fall of Mystra.