Traditional Fantasy discussion

New Members Begin Here > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.L. (last edited Mar 19, 2013 05:44AM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 26 comments Hi

I am Alex and I like fantasy, amongst other genres. I read a lot, fantasy wise I like Terry Pratchett, Tolkein, Dragon Age, Neil Gaiman and some indie authors, always on the look out for new recommendations.

I also read historical fiction, history, mystery, histoical romance, erotica, classics and sci-fi.

I also write dark adult fantasy romance/erotica and will create a thread.

message 2: by John (new)

John Hancock (johngregoryhancock) | 60 comments Mod
Hi. I'm John and have read scifi/fantasy/horror/thriller fiction since I was about 10. Since I'm 54, that's a lot of decades. And I read a lot. When I was a kid, I checked out the public library limit -- 14 books at a time -- which I deposited in the front carry basket of my bike, and kept coming back to get more.
Professionally, I've been a graphic artist/information graphic artist/designer. But I always wanted to write. My book is in the self-promotion thread.

also, I draw celebrities on twitter if they tweet me. I've got 92 so far, and a huge backlog.

You can find the celebrity drawings, and my brushes with greatness here:

http://www.artsprocket.com

(not really a book promotion, just a glimpse into who I am)

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen (escapeartist) | 19 comments Hi, I am Karen and have been reading Sci Fi/Fantasy since I fell in love with Mythology in grade school. I am 70 now, so like John, I have read my share of books and comics. I also read historical fiction, straight fiction and non fiction. It's hard for me to name a favorite author because there are so many whose books I still reread.

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Bloom | 1 comments Hello, I'm Bonnie. I have always loved fantasy being hooked on Terry Brooks first. I just finished the George Martin series "Game of Thrones" and loved it. I am always looking for more adult fantasy books. My favorite author would be JRR Tolkein.

message 5: by John (new)

Welcome, everyone! we hope you'll enjoy hanging out here!

message 6: by Simon (new)

Simon | 1 comments Hi I am Simon, I have enjoyed reading Authors like, Terry Brooks and Anne Mcaffery. I especially like reding books in a series as I enjoy getting to know the characters.

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments Hello everyone, I'm Shannon. I first fell in love with traditional fantasy when I read "The Hobbit" at the age of 6 or 7. I've been an avid fan since. Like John I used to checkout the maximum number of books at the library, but I've also built up quite the personal collection of books.

I'm also a fan of reading history, nonfiction, foreign language and historical fiction.

message 8: by John (new)

Shannon wrote: "I'm also a fan of reading history, nonfiction, foreign language and historical fiction."

Another book hoarder at an early age! we rock!

but, this is where we diverge... I don't enjoy historical fiction all that much. Similarly , I also don't have patience for "alternative history" tomes.. they usually are extremely long, and boring, because they have to spend so much time explaining how the world is different, they forget to tell us a story.

It can be done well, but its not my cup of tea.

message 9: by Angel (new)

Angel Wilkinson (gabismom) | 3 comments Hello everyone. My name is Angel. I am a little obsessed with Tolkien. I have also love Mercedes Lackey, Terry Brooks, and Anne McCaffery (just to name a few) since a young age.

I am excited to chat and learn about new books to read!

message 10: by John (new)

Angel wrote: "Hello everyone. My name is Angel. I am a little obsessed with Tolkien. I have also love Mercedes Lackey, Terry Brooks, and Anne McCaffery (just to name a few) since a young age.

I am excited to c..."

welcome! them's good authors to obsess about.

message 11: by Angel (new)

Angel Wilkinson (gabismom) | 3 comments Adam wrote: "I agree! Have you read PC Hodgell?

God Stalk (Kencyrath, #1) by P.C. Hodgell"

No I haven't. But I am always looking for new stuff.

message 12: by Christian (last edited Apr 03, 2013 11:59AM) (new)

Christian  Forrest (sweetranger) | 2 comments Hello, My name is Christian and I live in Grosse Pointe Michigan, I love to read Fantasy and Myth, but I also read a lot of Military History. As much as I love fantasy I have a hard time finding books that aren't a let down in some way or are overtly geared to the YA audience. My favorites beyond JRRT are Hobb, GRR Martin, and Jack Vance whom I have recently just discovered. I have also enjoyed Ursala LeGuin, Susanna Clark, and Glenn Cook. I look forward to reading books by Guy Gavriel Kay as these have been highly recommended to me.

message 13: by Whitney (new)

Whitney | 16 comments Wasn't sure what thread to put this in. Since there's a few Terry Brooks fan here I thought I'd post the link to RSVP for his live GR video chat on the 29th: http://www.goodreads.com/event/show/8...

message 14: by John (new)

Adam wrote: "I agree! Have you read PC Hodgell?

God Stalk (Kencyrath, #1) by P.C. Hodgell"

good grief. the paperback version of that is over a hundred dollars. no kindle version. So, I won't be reading that one.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

HI all i'm Keith, I've only been reading fantasy for about four years. I read mostly Vampire related books Anne Rice mostly. Then the day came when i picked up the Hobbit for a change WOW I'm hooked, from there i went to lord of the rings,The Silmarillion. Then i picked up on Steven Erikson I'm on Toll the Hounds at the moment (loving it). I have marked an awful lot to read so have my work cut out just need the time lol. I look forward to speaking to you all about all the wonderful fantasy books your reading cheers for now Keith.

message 16: by John (new)

welcome, Keith!

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan farnworth (tweetybugshouse) Hi my name is jan and I like anything that got dragons, elves a fairy or to my favorite is terry brooks

message 18: by John (new)

Jan wrote: "Hi my name is jan and I like anything that got dragons, elves a fairy or to my favorite is terry brooks"

welcome!

message 19: by Shannon (last edited Jun 25, 2013 11:46AM) (new)

Shannon (eurolinguiste) | 22 comments John wrote:
"Another book hoarder at an early age! we rock!

but, this is where we diverge... I don't en..."

I definitely see where you're coming from and I agree that they can drag on a bit, but that's not to say there aren't a few good and interesting ones out there. I do prefer non-fiction history to historical fiction, but I've enjoyed some historical fiction.

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie Holder | 1 comments Hi I'm Katie. I've always been an avid reader but just recently (last couple years) have fallen in love with sci-fi fantasy. Just in the last year or so I've gained the courage to read Terry Brooks, his books have always seemed so overwhelming to me only because there are so many. I have to say though I love them! After reading The Magic Kingdom series I started The Shannara series I'm only on the second book but I am really really enjoying them. I'm looking forward to discussing these books with you as I make my way through them.

message 21: by John (new)

Katie wrote: "Hi I'm Katie. I've always been an avid reader but just recently (last couple years) have fallen in love with sci-fi fantasy. Just in the last year or so I've gained the courage to read Terry Brooks..."
welcome, Katie!

message 22: by Debb (new)

Debb (bobbsta) | 1 comments Hi

My name is Debb. I started reading fantasy when I was introduced to David Eddings. Unfortunately he hadn't finished the second 5 books and the ones after. Very long waits and trying to save for the hardbacks! I then started on David Gemmell, Marion Bradley Zimmer etc. my all time favourite is Anne McCaffrey' dragon series - I adore them and read them at least once a year. I was lucky enough to be given a 30th edition of DragonFlight by my lovely Hubby which is limited to 1000 copies and signed and numbered by Anne herself. It is hidden away, never been read and drooled over by friends.

message 23: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Cardin | 19 comments Hello Debb. Good choices in books there! I am long time Eddings and McCaffrey fan too.