UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (new)

Rick Brindle I'm sending my book out to reviewers, but some are asking for the file to be sent as an epub. Does anyone know a good epub converter to download from the internet that won't have a virus or anyhtng else nasty attached to it?

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments Calibre - http://calibre-ebook.com/

Bear in mind that the results can depend on what you're converting it from. The simpler the original file is, the better. If you use Word 2007, save the document as a .doc file rather than a .docx file.

If you're signed up to Smashwords, just download the epub file from there.

message 3: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I think you can do the same from the kdp bookshelf. You can certainly down load a file of your book and save it to your hard drive, just not certain if its an epub file. You do it at the preview stage.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2336 comments I did mine with Kobo, and that was straightforward
(we had a useful chat about this in the Writers' Cafe recently)

message 5: by Rick (new)

Rick Brindle Thanks for the info, downloaded calibre, and also from smashwords.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara Boyd (saraboydauthor) | 1412 comments I used Caliber, it's really good. For smashwords I followed their manual, the one you can download for free.

message 7: by Rob (new)

Rob Godfrey | 91 comments When you've done the conversion you can have it checked here: http://validator.idpf.org/
You simply upload your file (its easy to do) and it checks it for you. Once its passed this validation you can be pretty sure it will be accepted by most ebook sellers (valid for ipad, kobo, nook, etc).
The error messages are pretty hard to understand but more often than not its just little typos that need fixing.

message 8: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments I'm glad of this info as well. I've been confused about epub for a while, but then again I get confused about light switches as well!

message 9: by Rick (new)

Rick Brindle Damn things, give me a candle any day!

message 10: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Yeah, I can't be having with these new word processors either. What's wrong with a rock and chisel, I ask you?

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments We'd still be waiting for your book if you wrote with a rock and chisel Tim.

Eh-up. We are!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments And editing would be a pain...

message 13: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "And editing would be a pain..."

Polyfilla...

message 14: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments And for writing on the road, I use a pebble...

message 15: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) Michael wrote: "The simpler the original file is, the better..."

You're even better off saving it as an HTML document. That can strip out some of the hidden goodies Word injects into the file. It's also easier to edit by hand to fix global problems with the ePub.

Remember that an ePub is little more than a zipped collection of HTML files. When you validate it and get errors, you can unzip the ePub, fix the individual files with errors, then re-zip it. It's easier than starting over from the source document every time.

message 16: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Tim wrote: "And for writing on the road, I use a pebble..."
An iPeb?

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments iRock lol!

message 18: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments You SO do! ;)