UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Which books would you make into a film or TV series?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica (last edited Mar 18, 2013 08:37AM) (new)

Veronica | 3 comments Definitely The Women's Murder Club by James Patterson should be made in a series for UK TV. It would be brilliant, based in Brighton. The 4 main characters should be played by

Lindsey - Suranne Jones or Angela Griffin
Claire - Lesley Sharpe or Holly Aird
Jill - Emilia Fox or Anna Friel
Cindy - Emma Roberts or Billie Piper

Others possibilities could be Lenora Critchlow, Natalie Gurnede, Nicole Stephenson, Faye Ripley, Joanne Froggett - So many talented actresses in this country, we are spoiled for choice.

1st to Die. 1st to Die (Women's Murder Club, #1) by James Patterson

message 2: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments I'd love to see Graham Hurley's Faraday books made into a series in the UK. I know there was talk but the powers that be wanted to change too much so he went for serialising it in France instead - not too far from the original setting which is Portsmouth but I think it's a shame nonetheless. I may be biased being as I come from Portsmouth though!

http://www.grahamhurley.co.uk/sunday-...

As for who to play the main characters - I'll have to have a think about that!

message 3: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I guess I'm not allowed to chose my own books... no?

Ok then "Sandman Slim", like Lee Child's Jack Reacher but with demons instead of drug dealers.

message 4: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments All of Georgette Heyer's R/R!!!

message 5: by Guy (new)

Guy Portman (guyportman) I'd have to think about it. There are a few books that shouldn't have been made into films that spring to mind.

message 6: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Since I read a lot of fantasy I am not sure I'd like to see any.

If anything - a PROPER amazing version of American Gods

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Darren's Undead books would translate to film wonderfully

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

The trouble with TV adaptations of my favourite books is that I am often disappointed with them. I loved reading the Cadfael books some years ago, and got excited when I heard that they were going to be televised. I hated them though, they messed around with the stories so much that they spoiled them. I did like Derek Jacobi as Cadfael though - I just wish that the episodes had been better written...

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments Karen (Kew) wrote: "The trouble with TV adaptations of my favourite books is that I am often disappointed with them. I loved reading the Cadfael books some years ago, and got excited when I heard that they were going to be televised. I hated them though, they messed around with the stories so much that they spoiled them. I did like Derek Jacobi as Cadfael though - I just wish that the episodes had been better written... "

I agree - except that although I did like Derek Jacobi as Cadfael, he wasn't portrayed as I had pictured him.
Prior Robert was as I imagined though.
What really annoyed me about the adaptation though was the stories being altered, some episodes not even based remotely on any of the stories, and changing the names of the characters.

On the whole I have not enjoyed seeing books that I have enjoyed made into films or TV series.

message 10: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine  | 4585 comments I agree Karen,if i have read the books,i don't watch the tv programmes.I find myself shouting at the telly when things don't match the book.But i also don't read the book if i have seen the film or tv programme first.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim | 22034 comments Which books would I like to see made into a film or tv series?

MINE!!
That way I could prove to people that excessive wealth would not spoil me, and at the same time I could come over all highbrow and artistic, claiming as how my infinitely precious work has been debauched by the whims of ignorant directors

message 12: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 3 comments Jim wrote: "Which books would I like to see made into a film or tv series?

MINE!!
That way I could prove to people that excessive wealth would not spoil me, and at the same time I could come over all highbrow..."

Lol

message 13: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I've said here and there that I'd like to see Alison Buck's Abiding Evil, Cornelius Harker's Words to the Wise Saga (yep, all of 'em!) and Andrew Barrett's Dead Trilogy made into films. Mind you, that was before I read The Third Rule - so that one too, please!

message 14: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (melcom) I agree with Veronica, I'd love to see The Women's Murder Club made into a series.

I can totally see Karen Rose's novels making it on to TV or Film soon as the characters are all connected in one way or another.

message 15: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) M.A. wrote: "I agree with Veronica, I'd love to see The Women's Murder Club made into a series..."

It was, in America. It lasted one season (2007-8). Angie Harmon was the lead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women...

message 16: by Sam (last edited Mar 22, 2013 09:31AM) (new)

Sam Kates I'd love to see a faithful version of Clive Barker's Imajica. I used to be skeptical about film versions of my favourite books - anyone seen a really good adaptation of a Stephen King novel? - until Jackson did LOTR

message 17: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Hey Sam- nip into the Book Recommendations for this month - you're a star!

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam Kates Ignite wrote: "Hey Sam- nip into the Book Recommendations for this month - you're a star!"

Hey, Ignite - I've been lurking. :-)

message 19: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments You can't lurk! Come out at once! You'll get all dusty in the corner.

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam Kates A little dust never hurt anyone (at least, that's my motto when it comes to housework). Besides, I'm fascinated watching readers discuss something I've written. I wouldn't want to put them off expressing their honest views by clumping about in my size nines.

message 21: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Fish | 103 comments Karen (Kew) wrote: "The trouble with TV adaptations of my favourite books is that I am often disappointed with them. I loved reading the Cadfael books some years ago, and got excited when I heard that they were going ..."
Are you aware that there's a theatre version doing the rounds now? Middle Ground Theatre (who adapted Columbo for the stage a couple of years back) are doing Virgin in the Ice with Gareth Thomas (of Blakes 7) as Cadfael.

message 22: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Fish | 103 comments I'd love to see Asimov's Foundation trilogy made into a TV series. I know they've been optioned for films, but the structure is wrong for the big screen. They should have been done by the BBC in the late 1970's. Mind you, the BBC radio version is good (apart from the sound effects).

message 23: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments The book I've just finished - 15000 Feet Below by indie Mads Sorensen would make a brilliant film. It was told in a way that made it very easy to visualise.

message 24: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown | 4128 comments Sam wrote: "A little dust never hurt anyone (at least, that's my motto when it comes to housework). Besides, I'm fascinated watching readers discuss something I've written. I wouldn't want to put them off expr..."

Wasn't Howard Carter killed by dust when he opened up King Tut's tomb? :)

Back on topic. I read the Cadfael books after watching the TV series, and I thought the books to be a let down. You can't please everybody.

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (vanessaakadumbo) | 8703 comments Having just read our Andrew's Dead trilogy, I think that would make a great film or programme.

message 26: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I agree Vanessa. that's what I said about Elgar!

message 27: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments I think the Rivers of London series should get adapted sooner rather than later.

Midnight Riot
Moon Over Soho
Whispers Under Ground

The author has written a whole series of blog posts about casting ideas, as well. I hope this does happen one day.

message 28: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Andrew wrote: "I think the Rivers of London series should get adapted sooner rather than later.

Midnight Riot
Moon Over Soho
Whispers Under Ground

The author has written a whole series of blog posts about casti..."

Here here. If you haven't listened to them, the audiobook versions are brilliantly narrated too. Just waiting on book 4 to hit audible...

message 29: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments And don't forget, they are by the guy that gave daleks the ability to go up stairs...

message 30: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Mr Stairlift?

message 31: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments That's him!!!

message 32: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Friend of Mr Zimmer. Mind you, he was framed!

message 33: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments And a lovely bloke he is too!

Also, the Brenda and Effie books by Paul Magrs would make a brilliant TV series.

Never the Bride
Something Borrowed
Conjugal Rites

And at least another two whose titles escape me right now...

message 34: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) I think a one- or two-part TV adaptation of The Smoke would be interesting. The slimming-down process to put it onscreen would probably take care of some of the more annoying aspects of the book.

message 35: by Robert (new)

Robert Franks | 150 comments I would love to see Faerie Tale being a nerd for mythology, celtic mythology (Ok ok fairtales) being a personal favorite. Well defined characters, a plot that fairly races along, and beautifully researched

message 36: by Emma (new)

Emma Faragher | 301 comments I'm one of those people who gets frustrated with TV/ film adaptations of books that I like. Some of them are very good but often the characters just aren't how I imagined them, or they take the characters and change the storyline for some reason.
Saying that I'd love to see Kelly Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series. I read a lot of fantasy and that seems to translate either very well or very badly and much of it has too much sex and/ or violence to be marketable (or viewable at all, I do not wish to actually see much of what I read in these books, it would be far too embarrassing)