Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > New added books don't show up in search

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lorre (new)

Lorre | 69 comments I've added 3 new books yesterday and tried to add them to the existing series but when I search for the book to add it to the series it can't find it.
Even today, a day later, it still isn't working.
When I type the 3 books in Search I don't get these books in the result but when I go to the author's pages those 3 new books are in the list of books written by the author.
I guess it must be a glitch?
I've written the 3 books down so I can keep trying till I can add them to the series.
Anyone else had this problem?

message 2: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments This is because of the fact that the search software is being updated. Vicky has a good explanation as to why this is happening.

Try searching by ISBN/ASIN, and that should work.

message 3: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments It's part of the new search function testing that's being done. If you're a member of the Feedback group you've been pointed at the new search index which is not being rebuilt as often as the old one. Newly entered books won't show up when you search for them until the new search index is rebuilt or unless you search for them by ISBN.

message 4: by Lorre (new)

Lorre | 69 comments Thanks for answering! I am a member of the Feedback Group but I didn't think of looking there for an answer cause it was about adding books.
All 3 books are from indy authors and are not published yet so they don't have isbn or asin numbers yet.
I guess I'll have to keep trying every day till it works.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) I'm pretty such most cache issues do not take longer than 72 hours to get refreshed/updated. If it takes longer than that, I'd worry (when the search not being messed with, my newly added books were taking 10-30 minutes at most to show up).

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments It sounds like they're still working on the new search index, so it might be a few more days of back and forth. You can add a dummy ISBN like 0000000000 to each book in order to search for it from the series page, then remove the dummy ISBN once you're done; I've done that a few times when the search engine's been wacky.

(Search indexes are like cached pages from a front-end standpoint, but run on a different process. Usually the search index updates every ten minutes. That's why it's so noticeable right now with the new search under development!)

message 7: by Lorre (new)

Lorre | 69 comments Thanks for the tip, Cait, about adding a dummy isbn.
I won't be needing it now cause after 3 days the books finally showed up in the search.