Vintage Book Group discussion

Breakfast at Tiffany's and Three Stories
Breakfast at Tiffany's > Breakfast at Tiffany's

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Catherine (vintagefrills) | 132 comments Mod
Hi everyone, we're now moving to this lovely book. Discuss your views on the book here. We'd also love it if everyone could watch the film again so we can discuss the two together.

Porcelina | 55 comments Hi all. I was lucky enough to be given this book by a friend for my birthday last year, so I have just quickly re-read it over the last few days to remind myself why I liked it!

** spoiler alert **

First of all, I was surprised when first reading it that the book is a collection of short stories, with "Breakfast at Tiffanys" being the first. The other two stories are much shorter than the 99 pages of BAT, and are "House of Flowers" and "A Diamond Guitar".

I LOVED the short story. So much better than the film, and for many reasons. First of all, it's set in the early 1940s, 20 years earlier than the film. And this makes more sense to a lot of the character's lives and traits, and just fits so much better. It also makes it that much more shocking that Miss Golightly has a double bed (!) and unlike the film where it's glossed over and the male lead is made out to be the 'whore' instead, her sex life is not left to the imagination in the book - it's real and gritty and we're meant to be shocked at her lack of morals. What surprised me most about the book though was the ending was so much better than the film - why would Miss Golightly settle down with the rather boring narrator, or even look in his direction in that way? She has her eyes on the horizon always, and it's fitting that she heads off in to her own personal sunset at the end, leaving Mr Writer to look after the cat. I like the way that the character in the book was also making efforts to better herself - learning Portugeuse, basic cooking etc. A recognition that learning skills will get her further, whereas again in the film, the character doesn't grow as much.

I should be upfront and say that unlike most people, I am not really a fan of the BAT 1961 film starring Audrey Hepburn. I love the iconic outfits, and who doesn't like a bit of Moon River, but her character is a little pathetic. Unable to do basic things like support herself, cook or clean house, or have enough intelligence to realise that passing messages to a prison inmate is a little fishy, Miss Golightly is not an aspirational character for women. Somehow, in the book she came off a little better and a little more likeable, despite her more apparent lack of morality.

As for the other short stories, I enjoyed them very much too - they stick with you afterwards, and I am a big fan of the short story genre anway.

message 3: by Fay (last edited Mar 24, 2013 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fay (fayc) | 30 comments Mod
This book is truly lovely, up until the other day I had never seen the movie nor had I delved into Capote's pages. I have almost finished and will be reviewing soon.

Moon river - new love for this song!

I hope you are all enjoying this book - a very good palate cleanser!

F x

Just finished the book, going to re-watch the film before I share my thoughts. Xxx

Can I just say how much I prefer the book to the film. I'm not a massive Audrey fan anyway. (Sorry!)

The book was brilliantly written and far more gritty than the film. It's very interesting that in the book the narrator is not a love interest which is where I think the film goes very wrong,

Porcelina | 55 comments Catherine wrote: "Can I just say how much I prefer the book to the film. I'm not a massive Audrey fan anyway. (Sorry!)

The book was brilliantly written and far more gritty than the film. It's very interesting that ..."

You are so right!

message 7: by Fay (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree with Catherine very much especially with the lack of love for Hepburn. I do however have a slight crush on the male lead in the film!!!!

Apparently Capote wanted Marilyn for the role and hated the film. Not surprised as they changed everything. They made the gay male narrator her love interest?!? Love the outfits though! :-)

message 9: by Fay (new) - rated it 5 stars

The outfits were great! I can understand why he disliked the movie so much as the true essence of the book was lost.