Gillifans discussion

Gilli's saddest moments

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new)

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Well, we could probably write an entire essay on this, but here's just one to start us off.

When Gilli brings sandwiches to Shane at the building site and he looks at Shane with the men he works with and he says about himself 'I felt small and insufficient and wished I hadn't come...I didn't really have anything to engage his interest, except perhaps my body.'

And then he makes us smile again with his witty observations about the perils of falling over as an adult, and that travelling miles to bring someone a packed lunch is 'just too gay' to mention it to Dick. True Gilli style.

message 2: by Macky (new)

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments That's a hard one but I know that it was when he mused on wanting Shanes love that he touched me to the core:

" What did I want? It sounded such a simple question, but it wasn't . I wanted wat he so readily gave to Dick. I wanted his love and I wanted it spoken to me the way he spoke it to Dick. I wanted to read it in his eyes and feel it in his touch"

That sums it all up for me and never Fails to make me cry... I'm doing it now as I'm writing this! Soppy sod :)

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tina (whitemooony) Oh... there are so many sad moments. I guess I never cried more while reading a series.

I need to re-read Gillis diaries soon, than I can fill this thread with his sad moments... :)

message 4: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Spence | 3 comments When Dick and Shane have their domestic partnership ceremony and Shane just drags a completely rumpled Gilli to it with no forewarning. That broke my heart.

message 5: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new)

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Marsha wrote: "When Dick and Shane have their domestic partnership ceremony and Shane just drags a completely rumpled Gilli to it with no forewarning. That broke my heart."

Marsha, I think that may possibly have been the very saddest moment ever. That was when I added Shane to my hit list. Achilles was just heartbreaking.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (mingaboxer) | 5 comments Marsha wrote: "When Dick and Shane have their domestic partnership ceremony and Shane just drags a completely rumpled Gilli to it with no forewarning. That broke my heart."

I agree - I think this is the moment that made me really dislike Dick and Shane most. I guess on some level I see why they did it the way they did but still...just so heartless. :(

message 7: by Laura (last edited Mar 19, 2013 12:07PM) (new)

Laura (mingaboxer) | 5 comments Gilli's Valentine's Day diary entry broke my heart too. One day! The poor boy wants one day of romance - is it too much to ask?!? This part especially broke my heart:

I was thinking about making a special romantic dinner tonight, but I’m not going to bother. They make no effort for me so I’m not making one for them. Romance isn’t romance when it only flows one way, so they can fuck off. I’ll make a run of the mill ordinary business class dinner because that’s my job and it’s what I get paid for. Sod it. I’m crying now. It’s time to go and do some housework instead of sitting here feeling sorry for myself. Valentine’s Day is stupid anyway. It’s like Shane says, just a cynical commercial ploy to guilt trip people into buying overpriced useless stuff.

Poor baby - I just want to smother him with flowers and chocolates and love! Someone should!

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina (whitemooony) *sniffs*

I remember that so well. :(

message 9: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Spence | 3 comments It just could've been handled so much better. Discussing it with Gilli (and dealing with the resulting tantrum :) having a private ceremony between the three of them, whatever. It didn't have to be romantic but SOMETHING. Just him being able to dress appropriately would've been something. Geez!

message 10: by Marsha (new)

Marsha Spence | 3 comments Laura wrote: "Gilli's Valentine's Day diary entry broke my heart too. One day! The poor boy wants one day of romance - is it too much to ask?!? This part especially broke my heart:

I was thinking about makin..."

I know! I read that too! It's so sad; I know he loves them but I'm really not sure why!

message 11: by Macky (new)

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments I was really touched when he went to the graveyard, after seeing his mum and their day at the seaside, where he found the unknown soldiers grave. I thought it was so poignant.

message 12: by Annika (new)

Annika (annikac) | 34 comments The whole CP thing was really bad. And then there are some small moments I consider extremely sad.
Like when he recognizes, that his best friend Lee is slipping away. It isolates Gilli even more and makes him more dependent on Dick and Shane.
When he calls his mother and Kelly answers the phone, asking whom he is. I thought this really a really awful moment.
Penny telling him: "Let's hope you'll die first then." Knowing someone dislikes you so much that this person wishes you to die...
When Leo suggests to send Gilli for training to break and make a nice little obedient, submissive bitch out of him in and Shane laughs about it and says he'll seriously consider it. That's so awful I wanted to strangle them both but especially Shane for laughing and saying he'll consider it. Apart from that I'll think it goes against D/s relationships, relinquishing power to the D must be an act of freedom and not because someone broke your will.
When Shane kicks Gillis ass for the birthday present (the racing car event) he presented Dick with. I think this was an act of jealousy by Shane and a really ugly one. Gilli might get green sometimes but he does not hurt his partners emotionally by it. Shanes jealousy is deadly.
When Andrea slaps Gilli on Shanes birthday party for spilling wine on her during an episode. You wouldn't slap someone in the face you consider a friend or at least the partner of a friend, a person you respect. Apart, she must have noticed that something isn't right, she slaps him anyhow. Way of public demonstration about Gillis status in the eyes of Shane and Dicks friends. The fact that Shane makes Andrea apologize to Gilli only in private makes me suspect, that they did not set her right on the party which somehow justifies her actions and therefore the way she thinks about Gilli.