Gillifans discussion

Who is Gilli?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new)

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Adorable bolshie northerner, or figment of a genius author's imagination?

message 2: by Macky (new)

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments I soooo want Gilli to be real. He is one of those characters who really made me care about him, I've always scoffed at people who get so involved with fictional characters - it tends to happen a lot with TV soap characters - but I have to admit Ive becomes bit of a fan girl around Gilli, there's just something about him that makes me believe that he is out there causing havoc with his two daddies, stropping and nursing his sore bum! I want to hug him and make it all better... Eeeek, its official - I am a ( slightly more mature) fan girl!!!!!

message 3: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new)

Danni | 136 comments Mod
I wonder if Gilli seems so real because we can recognise that little bit of Gilli inside all of us (so to speak)!

message 4: by Macky (new)

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments You could be right Danni, I think we all have those insecurities deep down. Gilli just opens them up and wears his them with his heart on his sleeve and I think that makes him (as a character) far more real. :)

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina (whitemooony) Danni wrote: "I wonder if Gilli seems so real because we can recognise that little bit of Gilli inside all of us (so to speak)!"

I guess that might be a reason. LOL

But I'm not that bratty! No way! :DDD

message 6: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new)

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Tina wrote: "Danni wrote: "I wonder if Gilli seems so real because we can recognise that little bit of Gilli inside all of us (so to speak)!"

But I'm not that bratty! No wa..."

Of course not!

message 7: by Macky (new)

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments Tina wrote: "Danni wrote: "I wonder if Gilli seems so real because we can recognise that little bit of Gilli inside all of us (so to speak)!"

But I'm not that bratty! No wa..."

Who Miss sweet and innocent!! Not at all. lOL:D

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina (whitemooony) Hmpf! :D

The lie detector says: Yes, she is... :D

message 9: by Annika (new)

Annika (annikac) | 34 comments A lot of work went and still goes into it to make Gilli seems like a real person (with the online diary and all) and he surely comes across as one. I think that's also a reason why you get so totally emotionally invested in his story. But I don't think he's real (In case he'd be real, could you imagine Shane and Dick giving their approval to publish or Gilli doing it behind their back?). It would be interesting to know who's the author and if he/she has maybe published something else

message 10: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new)

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Annika wrote: "A lot of work went and still goes into it to make Gilli seems like a real person (with the online diary and all) and he surely comes across as one. I think that's also a reason why you get so total..."

Much as it devastates me to say it, I think you might be right. I don't like the idea of it being an author that writes other stuff - I just want it to be our Gilli. Even if the story is made up, I do like to think that the 'author' is at least part Gilli.

Btw - do you guys pronounce it Gilli or Jilli?

message 11: by Macky (new)

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments Danni wrote: "Annika wrote: "A lot of work went and still goes into it to make Gilli seems like a real person (with the online diary and all) and he surely comes across as one. I think that's also a reason why y..."

I sadly have to agree too. I want him to be real but I reckon he's probably a very clever figment of someone's wonderful imagination* sigh*.
I pronounce it with the G... Never thought of it as Jilli but I always pronounce Gillian as Jillian. Perhaps its because he's male and Jilli wouldn't feel right? Interesting quezzy Danni. :)

message 12: by Danni, Spoogegirl / Mrs Brown (new)

Danni | 136 comments Mod
Macky wrote: "I pronounce it with the G... Never thought of it as Jilli but I always pronounce Gillian as Jillian. Perhaps its because he's male and Jilli wouldn't feel right? Interesting quezzy Danni."

Yeah, I go for the G too. But I did wonder, what with the Gillian thing.

Another thing that makes me think Gilli is not real (sigh, I don't like saying that) is that he said he was named after a fictional character, but that he has changed the names of Dick and Shane in his diaries to protect identities. If he exists, I would very much doubt he is actually called Gillibran - there can't be that many Gillibrans around for him to protect his anonymity, can there? Am I overanalysing? Yeah, probably.

message 13: by Annika (new)

Annika (annikac) | 34 comments I' going for the G as well. And I don't think you are overanalyzing.
I must say kudos to the author for all the effort he puts into these books. That's rather exceptional today...
I think the release dates are rather suspicious as well even when he has an explanation for it on the blog.

message 14: by Annika (new)

Annika (annikac) | 34 comments Assuming he's not real does not diminish me enjoying the books as well. Indeed if he'd be real, maybe I would have grabbed the next flight to GB already and forcibly removed a screaming and hitting Gilli from Shane :-D

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie | 27 comments I just finished book 4 (gilliflowers) and want to start all over again!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Macky wrote: "I soooo want Gilli to be real. He is one of those characters who really made me care about him, I've always scoffed at people who get so involved with fictional characters - it tends to happen a lo..."

I feel the same as you do.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Julie wrote: "I just finished book 4 (gilliflowers) and want to start all over again!"

Do you know if he will write more books? I will never be done with them?

message 18: by Annika (new)

Annika (annikac) | 34 comments On his (fictional?) blog he announces maybe two more. Check it out here: http://www.gillibran-brown.com/diary.php

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I sure hope he does. I wonder if these stories are true or not? I can't get enough of Gilli.

message 20: by Macky (new)

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments One of the best series ever and I think Gilli will definitely return, just hope its soon. I'm like Julie I could read them all over again and will in the future. Just got 50 thousand unread books waiting on my kindle first. Lol! :D

message 21: by Julie (new)

Julie | 27 comments I just started reread this am lol

message 22: by Macky (new)

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments Julie wrote: "I just started reread this am lol"

Great stuff! Say hello to our lovely lad will you? :D

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Virginia. Poor Gilli. He sounds real to me. I hope he posts everyday.

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina (whitemooony) Aww... Gilli is back. :) Thx for the link.

message 25: by Macky (new)

Macky (mactut) | 142 comments Big grin!! :)

message 26: by Lbarra (new)

Lbarra Oh i really hope Gilli is real, however unlikely that may be, the stories & blog will remain so in my head. :)

message 27: by Abrooks (new)

Abrooks | 5 comments I in my heart of hearts, believe he is a real Person. I Do believe in Gill's I Do I Do. Of course I am a dreamy idealist and extremely naive! :)

message 28: by Angela (last edited Apr 07, 2014 05:39PM) (new)

Angela | 9 comments I'd love him to be real. He's so naughty and endearing and utterly hilarious at times, but he's also got an emotional depth and sensitivity to him. At times you just want to cuddle him up tight. Though I can see why his naughty butt gets spanked so much. Please let him be real.

message 29: by Amber (new)

Amber | 5 comments Although I love Gilli in the story I hope he isn't real especially when reading Achilles and the Houseboy. I think his character seems so real because they all including Shane and Dick are flawed characters. They seem real in that they aren't perfect and you really can see things that happen between them really happen. Gilli has a way of drawing you in with emotions. I also can't really see Shane EVER allowing the books to be published if they were real.

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen | 89 comments I've read all of Gilli's books months ago. Sadly, I miss him so decided to re read the series again.

I know there is a question of whether he's a real person or a fictional character. I believe that he is a real person and that he needed this diary as a way to sort out all of his feelings. I also believe that Shane and Dick did give their permission.

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori Horne | 20 comments Gilli is a real person; we've exchanged emails with each other. It's fun to keep up with him through his online diary although he hasn't been that active lately but he has said that he's slowly starting to work toward the next book. I wouldn't expect it sooñ though.

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen | 89 comments So I've just re read all of Gilli's books and diary entries for the second time. I really love reading his stories. They are filled with raw emotion, angst and laughter. I feel as if I'm his friend (or could be if we met in real life)! My fear is that he won't continue to write. He is very talented and I'm not sure he realizes it. Does any one think that Shane, Dick or Leo have read the books?

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mic0610) | 28 comments I feel the same way that we could be friends if we met in real life. I don't think Shane or Dick reads his books out of respect for his privacy. I really hope he finishes Revelations. He's been very sparse with his diary entries lately too.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm sure he will continue writing knowing he has fans waiting for his next book. I love Gilli so much! I can't wait to see what Revelations holds. I feel like none of them would read the books. I don't see them as the "sit down and read" type. They have other interests and business that hold their attention elsewhere.

message 35: by Mary (new)

Mary Pat Michelle wrote: "I feel the same way that we could be friends if we met in real life. I don't think Shane or Dick reads his books out of respect for his privacy. I really hope he finishes Revelations. He's been ver..."

Hi, new here. I don't think the duo has any respect for Gilli's privacy. After reading Christmas at Leo's, I think they simply are too dismissive of our hero's interests to bother reading his writing.

message 36: by Andy (new)

Andy (AndyMore) | 17 comments Aaah the million dollar question... i want to believe he is real and that there is a Dick and a Shane and all the others, of course he needed to change their names, but still... i wonder if they let him write the books as a way of catharsis... (assuming they exist)
if they aren't real, well then i need to know the name of the author because frankly his work is epic- not only for the books but also for the diary that is like another book in itself!

message 37: by Cheryl (last edited Jan 21, 2016 02:44PM) (new)

Cheryl | 346 comments Me too, Andy. If Gilli writes under another name, I'd want to know about it. There's an authenticity to his books that makes me think that at least some of the experiences are real. In one of his diary entries (can't remember which one) he talked about getting permission from D&S to attend a two day heavy metal outdoor concert (he mentioned the name), and I Googled it out of curiosity. In fact, there was a concert on the dates he mentioned (in his diary). So at the very least - he does his research!!
It appears that whenever he's going to write a book, he takes down the diary entries (from his web page) for the period the book will cover, so apparently he
uses the diary entries he's already written to refresh his memory about what happened during that time period.
I just started re-reading Fun With Dick and Shane, and I will say that
I think Gilli uses his diary as the basis, then embellishes. As my
dad use to say, "Never spoil a good story with facts."
If Gilli and his Daddies aren't real, then all I can say is that he has
one hell of an imagination.

message 38: by Andy (new)

Andy (AndyMore) | 17 comments Cheryl wrote: "Me too, Andy. If Gilli writes under another name, I'd want to know about it. There's an authenticity to his books that makes me think that at least some of the experiences are real. In one of his d..."

i didn't pay attention to that thing about his diary entries... but yeah if he is another writer and not 'Gilli' than he does a hell of a research... i've come to think maybe he does exists, he does live in a m/m/m d/s relationship, but like all good writers he embellished his stories to make them more entertaining. Anyway, i love the books, the story, if they are real i'm happy they are still together in 2016 and counting. if they are not real then i want a lovely HEA for the end of the series ;)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I know I said previously I don't think he is real, but after þinking about it for awhile I believe he may be a real person. You are right, too many facts and detail.