The Psychology Reads Community discussion

▶️ Psychotherapy > Background Discussion for Deadweight

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 18, 2013 10:27AM) (new)

Nicholas wrote: "I would really be grateful if this novel was reviewed in this capacity by those knowledgeable in the field."

Nicholas,

I have experience in clinical psychiatry and psychoanalysis. Remember that I am not an MD. (I can't take your insurance, either.) I just bought your book at Amazon, and will look at it in the near future. I am leading a book-read at "Fans of British Writers" through the end of March.

In what format would you like to review your book at Psychology group? Thanks for the free book and the great suggestion!

James

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicholas wrote: "The novel is only available as a Kindle Novel. I hope this is what you meant by format, James."

No. It is a Kindle book, of course. I meant to ask you how you want to review your novel. What format of communication can we use for our discussion? Is a book-read good? Is a discussion thread in a folder better? Would you like to use questions and answers? Thanks!

James

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 25, 2013 11:42AM) (new)

Nicholas,

I think that an ongoing discussion for your book is best because time pressure wouldn't be helpful. The novel is rich with expansive descriptions and abstract characterizations that are best discussed after consideration and reflection. I want to title the discussion, "Discussion of Deadweight, An Introspective Novel of Thoughts and Emotions". I want to use categories for the novel as entertainment aspects such as introspection, emotions like fear and sadness, personality, and endurance.

What categories would you like to use for the mental illness part of the discussion? I suppose that you would like to see clinical evaluations, but should they be psychoanalytical, psychological, or psychiatric? I suggest an ecclectic approach to the categories taken from these three disciplines. I hope that you can provide a starting set of categories for the group to develop along with the discussion. Your input is requested!

Thanks again for the book suggestion!

James

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 27, 2013 02:41PM) (new)

Nicholas,

Thanks for the response! It is exactly what I wanted to know!

I wasn't exactly sure how to clinically approach Deadweight. I wanted to ask you as the author about how psychoanalysis, psychology, and psychiatry would apply to our discussion to limit the science and increase the art. I now see that you want a holistic approach to the characters to see their humanity. Of course, concepts from any of the three Ps as they relate to the characters would be discussed from beneath the natural course of Deadweight's story.

Onset of symptoms, personal belief systems, social psychology, and predispositions toward illness are all excellent categories for a discussion! Another category can be concerns for the morbid states of another person from someone who is external to the mental illness and the patient.

Can the title be, "Discussion of Deadweight: Emotions, Perspectives, and Therapeutics about Experiences of Mental Illness"? Let me know any additional thoughts. I'll write a good introduction when we are finished deciding.

James

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Nick,

I'll leave the discussion title as before. It will be understood that reading the novel is therapeutic, too!

James

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Life has its difficulties, and the future is always uncertain. I have been very busy with my personal life, and posting to my website Biological Psychology Discovery, which is at http://biopsychology.hoop.la. I have not forgotten nor quit our discussion of Deadweight. My apologies for the delay. It really is an interesting read!

James

message 7: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey Von Glahn | 2 comments Hi, I just joined Goodreads and this group. My book is: Jessica: The autobiography of an infant. It's about a client of mine who remembered in vivid detail experiences from her infancy. Listening to her was like listening to an infant who could talk describe every psychologically dramatic moment of its life as it was happening. I've scheduled a "Ask Jeffrey Von Glahn" any question about the book on April 27,2-6pm EST (USA).