Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
This topic is about Unravel Me
Archives > Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leigh | 15229 comments Mod
We are starting today.

message 2: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Mar 18, 2013 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri | 12222 comments Mod
I don't like the cover for this. I like this one better - Unravel Me (The Juliette Chronicles, #2) by Tahereh Mafi

message 3: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think your cover goes better with the story but I do like the other cover.

How many chapters/day?

message 4: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

There are 73 chapters, so 14 a day? That should be around 90 pages. I haven't looked yet, but I think the chapters must be relatively short.

message 5: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sounds good.

message 6: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Have you read Destroy Me (Shatter Me #1.5) by Tahereh Mafi ?

message 7: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have it but haven't read it yet.

message 8: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love Kenji!

Have you ever had a girlfriend, Kenji?"
"What?" He looks mortally offended. "Do I LOOK like the kind of guy who's never had a girlfriend? Have you even MET me?”
― Tahereh Mafi, Unravel Me

That totally sucks! Juliette already feels like monster who constantly destroys things. Now she finds out the one person she thought she could touch and wanted to touch , she can't. WTH!

message 9: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) Hey guys. Sorry for disappearing for a few days. I am back! I haven't read Shatter Me yet, so I will sit out this buddy read, but after this we have the new VLAD! Yay :)
Also, I might poke my head in just to say hi. I have to finish Heartless so that I am caught up with you guys. :)

message 10: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hey Alyssia! Sorry we picked a book you haven't read yet...when you have time you should read Shatter Me. I really liked it.

message 11: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) Yeah, I actually own it, I've just had a lot going on with school and packing and surprise company trips!

We are moving into a house toward the end of April, and we have SO much to do. It's our first house, so I am pretty excited.

message 12: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Exciting! We've been getting our house ready to potentially sell this summer. There's so much to do, so we are just going room by room and re-painting, cleaning, etc.

message 13: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Congrats on the new house, Alyssia. We miss you. Shatter me was excellent! Will Twice Tempted be out by Monday?

message 14: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri, did your husband get the job?

message 15: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

March 26...which is Tuesday. Close enough for me :)

message 16: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leigh wrote: "Sheri, did your husband get the job?"

He doesn't know yet. He talked to the PR people on the phone, but it is a brand new store that they are opening - actually not even built yet - so they are taking their sweet time with interviews and such.

message 17: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Mar 18, 2013 03:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

But even if he doesn't get that one there are more positions he can apply for. I think he's ready to advance his career and there aren't any opportunities for him where we live now - too small of a town, and we're the largest town for 120 miles. So we will probably be moving sometime hopefully in the next year.

So we're getting ready now so it's done :)

message 18: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri, I hope your husband gets the new position.

message 19: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) Leigh wrote: "Sheri, I hope your husband gets the new position."

Me too!
Moving is stressful, but a promotion would probably offset the pain a bit. :)

message 20: by Shahbaz (new)

Shahbaz (abelisii) | 163 comments Hello ladies, sorry I haven't been around the past couple reads, but I haven't had the heart to continue Miss Alexia Tarabotti, Just started Raven Boys, not sure how i'm feeling about it so far, we know how I am about YA novels they are really a hit and miss with me.

Anyways, hope you guys enjoy this weeks read, but I haven't read any of this series either.

message 21: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) Shahbaz wrote: "Hello ladies, sorry I haven't been around the past couple reads, but I haven't had the heart to continue Miss Alexia Tarabotti, Just started Raven Boys, not sure how i'm feeling about it so far, we..."

Raven Boys was pretty amazing, I thought.
Then again, I liked the Parasol Protectorate too (but not as much).

message 22: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Mar 19, 2013 05:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I like Kenji, too :)

One thing I really like about these books is the writing style. You wouldn't get away with it in just any book, but she does here. It's more train of thought rather than point of view, if that makes sense. When we are inside Juliette's head we get her thoughts as she does - almost like a journal.

And the imagery is so amazing..."This planet is a broken bone that didn't set right, a hundred pieces of crystal glued together." I love it.

We didn't get that from Destroy Me, because it was Warner's point of view and he doesn't think like Juliette.

message 23: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love the imagery, too. I love that she thinks/says something then she will scratch it out.

message 24: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

I haven't read today's yet, so if there is something in there about this sorry....I'm guessing we won't find out until closer to the end or even in the next book, though -

Since Adam is neutralizing Juliet, what do you think Warner is doing? Think he's the same or maybe he's the anomaly that they thought Adam was...?

message 25: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

The part with Warner and the dog was in Destroy Me, but of course in Warner's point of view...

message 26: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was thinking the same thing about Warner. Juliette keeps thinking about Warner.

Kinji and Juliette both have valid points. Kinji says she is immature, selfish and anti-social. She is trying not to hurt anyone physically while dealing with the emotional trama of her life in isolation.

It is hard for her to put herself out there when she is afraid she could kill them.

Juiellete's parents are evil people. How could anyone do that to their child?

message 27: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am very bad!! LOL

I went over and trying hard not to finish tonight.

message 28: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

No Leigh, lol! You can finish if you want. I won't be able to read over though :(

message 29: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can see Kenji and Castle's point that she needs to make an effort to fit in, but it's got to be hard for her after being seprated from everyone her entire life. She has to change everything she's ever been taught, which will take some time. And she is so scared of hurting anyone, which is all she does when she gets close to someone.

message 30: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

What is up between Castle and Kenji?

message 31: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love this quote! This is why she is struggling.

“Loneliness is a strange sort of thing.
It creeps on you, quiet and still, sits by your side in the dark, strokes by your hair as you sleep. It wraps itself around your bones, squeezing so tight you almost can't breathe. It leaves lies in your heart, lies next to you at night, leaches the light out of every corner. It's a constant companion, clasping your hand only to yank you down when you're struggling to stand up.
You wake up in the morning and wonder who you are. You fail to fall asleep at night and tremble in your skin. You doubt you doubt you doubt.
do I
don't I
should I
why won't I
And even when you're ready to let go. When you're ready to break free. When you're ready to be brand-new. Loneliness is an old friend stand beside you in the mirror, looking you in the eye, challenging you to live your life without it. You can't find the words to fight yourself, to fight the words screaming that you're not enough never enough never ever enough.
Loneliness is a bitter, wretched companion.
Sometimes it just won't let go.”
― Tahereh Mafi, Unravel Me

message 32: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

I like that one, too.

MaryAnn (mapally) I absolutely loved this book. I listened to the audiobook and the narrator through Audible was superb. The imagery in Tahereh Mafi's writing is stunning. I always end up feeling like I'm standing right there seeing what she's seeing and feeling what she's feeling....

message 34: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MaryAnn, I am listening to this one too. I love the writing.

message 35: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aww...I looked for the audio but couldn't find it - and I didn't want to buy it.

message 36: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

That breakup scene out in the hallway in front of everyone...was so sad! I actually had tears in my eyes!

message 37: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

It broke my heart! The way she draws you into the story and makes you feel everything is amazing!!

message 38: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Warner's dad is truly evil. I feel sorry for Warner but can he change. I want Adam and Julliette together but how can that work. She was actually killing him by just loving him. That totally sucks!

message 39: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

I haven't read today's yet. You get Warner's dad in Destroy Me (You need to read it!) It is the same timeline as this book.

message 40: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I don't know how to feel about Warner. Sometimes I feel sorry for him and think he needs a chance but other times he is a product of his father.

OMG!! Just finished and how am I going to wait for the next book!

message 41: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Do you think Juliette loves both Warner and Adam?

I think she will always love Adam. He was the first person that touched her both physically and emotionally without her killing him. He protected her and supported her but did he allow her to stand on her own two feet. She tried to be someone she wasn't for him because she thought she had to.
She sees herself in Warner. He knows her inner most thoughts and still loves her.
She is attracted to both of them. If she touches Adam he will die. Warner can touch her and be loved by her without consequence.

message 42: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri, do you want to read Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) by Larissa Ione and Immortal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #2) by Larissa Ione ? I have to read them for a challenge by the end of next week. I will start Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) by Larissa Ione tomorrow.

message 43: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) If you guys are adding a buddy read to tide us over until Tuesday (Vlad!) let me know. I'm in :)

message 44: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyssia, I will start Eternal Rider tomorrow if you what to read it with me.

message 45: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

I can't do any over the weekend...I have to catch up on this one and my review books. I wanted to get Eternal Rider in this month but I added too many other books :)

I was wondering about Warner, too. I'm not sure she loves him, at least not at this point, but I think she feels drawn to him because she can connect with him and possibly have a normal life with him.

Read Destroy Me!!! You get so much more info about him and his relationship with his dad - I think that's one of the reasons I like him so much. He is the 'bad' guy in the story, but he is most definitely a creation of nurture rather than nature. Everything he's ever done is for his father's approval, which he never gets. It's hard not to feel sorry for him when you know his background.

message 46: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'll comment more later. I haven't finished yet...

message 47: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyssia wrote: "If you guys are adding a buddy read to tide us over until Tuesday (Vlad!) let me know. I'm in :)"

I'm looking forward to Vlad :D

message 48: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) Sheri wrote: "Alyssia wrote: "If you guys are adding a buddy read to tide us over until Tuesday (Vlad!) let me know. I'm in :)"

I'm looking forward to Vlad :D"

Ohmygosh, yesssss.

message 49: by Lys (new)

Lys (lysrowan) Leigh wrote: "Alyssia, I will start Eternal Rider tomorrow if you what to read it with me."

Are you going to read it without Sheri?

message 50: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alyssia wrote: "Leigh wrote: "Alyssia, I will start Eternal Rider tomorrow if you what to read it with me."

Are you going to read it without Sheri?"

I requested too many review books this month :) I need to stop doing that!

« previous 1