What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. YA 90s fantasy/dystopian trilogy - second book has a city of slaves

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dinsdale (new)

Dinsdale (dinsdaleatlarge) | 2 comments So I would have read these in the early 2000s, I think - certainly no later than 2003. I have only vague memories of the first book - it centered on quite a stratified society, and I think the focus was on exams that would determine the protagonist's place. There were people living underground too, but they were definite outcasts.

In the second novel, the city is conquered and the citizens taken away to be slaves. I remember vividly a scene wherein an older man is placed in a cage and then burned alive - this was the method used to control the slaves. The city was very rich and beautiful and the protagonist eventually discovered that every citizen except for the king was also a slave - but life in the city was so good that they didn't mind. I think at the end the protagonist revolts or otherwise escapes to rebuild their original home.

I'm fairly certain there was a third novel, too, but I can't remember anything about it, so I could be mistaken.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashinscribbleland) | 64 comments Divergent too new, but the 'first' book sounds just like it

message 3: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 53 comments Your description initially made me think of John Christopher's "Tripods" series - The City of Gold and Lead is the second one. But these books are too old.

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
But the Tripods books have been re-released a number of times. So the OP could have come across one of those re-releases.

message 5: by Margaret (new)

Margaret The plot details don't match the Tripods series, though.

message 6: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
That's true--but I just had to defend Tripods because I did enjoy the stories so much.

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Jun 18, 2013 10:49PM) (new)

Sarah (seiren) | 75 comments It sounds like The Wind Singer http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29...
The second book is Slaves of the Mastery. The people under the city eat roots that grow in the mud, and there's a disease that ages kids into 'old children' as well as an invading army. Ring any bells?

message 8: by Serena (new)

Serena | 103 comments Are you still looking for this book or have you found it? I agree it sounds a lot like The Wind Singer (Wind on Fire, #1) by William Nicholson

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Dinsdale, was your series Sarah's suggestion @8?

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Dinsdale, was your series Sarah's suggestion @8?"

No response. Moving to Abandoned.