Aussie Readers discussion

155 views
Archives > April Challenge - Australian Women Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 191 (191 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Mar 18, 2013 09:31PM) (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
The month of April incorporates the very first Stella Prize, and the winner will be announced in Melbourne on the evening of Tuesday 16 April 2013. Named after one of Australia’s most important female authors, Stella Maria ‘Miles’ Franklin (1879–1954),  photo aprilchallenge2_zps94d088ed.jpg the prize rewards one writer with a significant monetary prize of $50,000.

http://thestellaprize.com.au/about-st...

 photo aprilchallenge3_zps898b1fc7.jpg

So our challenge is to read an Australian Woman Author to celebrate this momentous event.


 photo aprilchallenge4_zpse2062fa1.jpg


The longlist, which you might like to choose from...

http://thestellaprize.com.au/2013/the...

The Judges whose decision it is...

http://thestellaprize.com.au/2013/the...

More links to help you choose:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?t...

http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

http://www.goodreads.com/group/booksh...

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/28...

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/19...


 photo aprilchallenge5_zps973fe316.jpg

Relax, lay back and enjoy your reading for this month!

AND if you like, share this with your non-reading friends....

 photo aprilchallenge6_zps49423579.jpg


message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Crowe I am up for this one Brenda. Count me in.


message 3: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3117 comments And me too!


message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Excellent girls!!


message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy (mrscrich) | 216 comments Me too!


message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Great! I can't wait to see what everyone is going to read:)


message 7: by Cath (last edited Mar 18, 2013 03:08AM) (new)

Cath | 76 comments I think I'll start with this: =)

Touching Earth Lightly Touching Earth Lightly by Margo Lanagan by Margo Lanagan


message 8: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments I just had a look at the Long list and there's some really good books and authors there to chose from. This is going to be a hard one to pick!!!!


message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Elaine wrote: "I just had a look at the Long list and there's some really good books and authors there to chose from. This is going to be a hard one to pick!!!!"

You don't have to only read one Elaine;)


message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
I'm going to read Dark Horse by Honey Brown Dark Horse by Honey Brown
Lily's Leap by Téa Cooper Lily's Leap by Téa Cooper
and I'd like to get to Wolf Dawn by Susan Cartwright Wolf Dawn by Susan Cartwright

I'm sure there'll be more...I'll add them as I go:)


message 11: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Brenda wrote: "Elaine wrote: "I just had a look at the Long list and there's some really good books and authors there to chose from. This is going to be a hard one to pick!!!!"

You don't have to only read one El..."

Geez Brenda....I can't choose more than one. How will I fit it all in? I've narrowed it down to a few so I might wait and see what others choose. You haven't chosen any from the list?


message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Mar 18, 2013 03:33AM) (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Elaine wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Elaine wrote: "I just had a look at the Long list and there's some really good books and authors there to chose from. This is going to be a hard one to pick!!!!"

You don't have to o..."


No, not at this stage...it doesn't have to be from the Stella list, as long as it's an Australian woman author Elaine:) I have that many lined up that I'm trying to fit them to the challenge:)

BTW...I was teasing..lol


message 13: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Brenda wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Elaine wrote: "I just had a look at the Long list and there's some really good books and authors there to chose from. This is going to be a hard one to pick!!!!"

You ..."


Fair enough Brenda.
You weren't teasing...you're like Eve, dangling that apple!!! Only kidding...well maybe I mean it a little bit. Lol!!! I know it doesn't necessarily have to be from the list but I wouldn't mind choosing one from there as they're all new books I've not seen before.


message 14: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3117 comments Am thinking I'll read Wings of Fear. Looks interesting and I think I'll enjoy the genre change.


message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Mar 18, 2013 03:56AM) (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Elaine wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Elaine wrote: "I just had a look at the Long list and there's some really good books and authors there to chose from. This is going to be a hard one to ..."

There's one I've had on my TBR for a long time, which I should reserve from the library and read it in April... Floundering by Romy Ash Floundering by Romy Ash

Will see what I can do:)

And I was teasing!!! lol


message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Leonie wrote: "Am thinking I'll read Wings of Fear. Looks interesting and I think I'll enjoy the genre change."

Oh Leonie, I LOVE Helene Young, I've read all of hers, and am anxiously waiting for her new one which comes out in May!!


message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments Im in.


message 18: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Great Michael:)


message 19: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3117 comments Excellent hear Brenda - that one will be my first! Looking forward to it. Will just have to restrain my enthusiasm until April - read two of my AWWC books last year because I couldn't wait.

I suppose it just means that I have the opportunity to experience a few extras :)


message 20: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments I'll be reading The Brotherhood by Y.A. Erskine.


message 21: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments I'm in. I'll be reading The Fortunes of Ruby White by Lia Weston


message 22: by Jessy (last edited Mar 18, 2013 03:59PM) (new)

Jessy (snuggleglooms) | 381 comments I'll also be reading Wings of Fear Wings of Fear (Formerly Border Watch) by Helene Young and The Road Home The Road Home by Fiona Palmer , Dark Country Dark Country  by Bronwyn Parry , As Darkness Falls As Darkness Falls by Bronwyn Parry ,Dead Heat Dead Heat by Bronwyn Parry , Jillaroo Jillaroo by Rachael Treasure and finally The Cattleman's Daughter The Cattleman's Daughter by Rachael Treasure .

Coincidentally I have been on an Aussie author binge myself lately just finished reading Wattle Creek Wattle Creek by Fiona Mccallum . Have been really enjoying it


message 23: by Jessy (last edited Mar 18, 2013 04:05PM) (new)

Jessy (snuggleglooms) | 381 comments Here's a couple of lists I have found useful too:

This is a list of Romance books based in the Aussie bush
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/28...

This is a list of Queensland based books
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/19...


message 24: by Mish (new)

Mish | 3495 comments Jessy wrote: "I'll also be reading Wings of FearWings of Fear (Formerly Border Watch) by Helene Young and The Road HomeThe Road Home by Fiona Palmer, Dark CountryDark Country  by Bronwyn Parry, As Darkness Falls[bookcover:As..."

Great selection Jessie :)


message 25: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Brenda wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Elaine wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Elaine wrote: "I just had a look at the Long list and there's some really good books and authors there to chose from. This is going to be..."

Must say that is one of the ones I was considering too. Sounds interesting. The other one is Mazin Grace Mazin Grace by Dylan Coleman .
I'm fascinated that the author is of Aboriginal/Greek heritage. What a combination and being of Greek origins myself, with an interest in Aboriginal history I think I have to read this one. But I've gotta say it again, they all sound great!!! And I know you were teasing Brenda...I just like teasing you back!!!


message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Some brilliant choices there everyone!

Elaine, if you are interested in Greek historical fiction, plus Australian author, you should try the one I'm reading at the moment. It's brilliant! Mine To Avenge by Kerry Letheby

Glad you're teasing me back Elaine;) lol


message 27: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Jessy wrote: "Here's a couple of lists I have found useful too:

This is a list of Romance books based in the Aussie bush
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/28...

This is a list..."


Jessy thanks for those links:) I'll add them into the challenge post if you don't mind!


message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Mar 18, 2013 09:34PM) (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Jessy wrote: "I'll also be reading Wings of FearWings of Fear (Formerly Border Watch) by Helene Young and The Road HomeThe Road Home by Fiona Palmer, Dark CountryDark Country  by Bronwyn Parry, As Darkness Falls[bookcover:As..."

Jessy, I have read all except the one you've just finished:P Such a wonderful lot of books!


message 29: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 2001 comments Brenda wrote: "Some brilliant choices there everyone!

Elaine, if you are interested in Greek historical fiction, plus Australian author, you should try the one I'm reading at the moment. It's brilliant! Mine To..."


Mmmm!!! Does sound good Brenda and it's had some great reviews with 5 stars. I might wait and see what you think. But I do like books like that, that involve family saga.


message 30: by Jessy (new)

Jessy (snuggleglooms) | 381 comments Brenda wrote: "Jessy wrote: "Here's a couple of lists I have found useful too:

This is a list of Romance books based in the Aussie bush
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/28...

..."


Not at all have at it :o)


message 31: by Jessy (new)

Jessy (snuggleglooms) | 381 comments Brenda wrote: "Jessy wrote: "I'll also be reading Wings of FearWings of Fear (Formerly Border Watch) by Helene Young and The Road HomeThe Road Home by Fiona Palmer, Dark CountryDark Country  by Bronwyn Parry, As Darkness Fall..."

I highly recommend it. It really deals with the issues of depression around farmers extremely thoughtfully and meaningfully.


message 32: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11121 comments Mod
I will see if I can wait until April to open my copy of Blessed Are The Dead


message 33: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Phrynne wrote: "I will see if I can wait until April to open my copy of Blessed Are The Dead"

Oh good choice Phrynne!


message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Elaine wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Some brilliant choices there everyone!

Elaine, if you are interested in Greek historical fiction, plus Australian author, you should try the one I'm reading at the moment. It's bri..."


I'm at about 85% now Elaine! A definite 5 stars!!


message 35: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11121 comments Mod
Brenda wrote: "Phrynne wrote: "I will see if I can wait until April to open my copy of Blessed Are The Dead"

Oh good choice Phrynne!"


Only if I can hang out to April :)


message 36: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Phrynne wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Phrynne wrote: "I will see if I can wait until April to open my copy of Blessed Are The Dead"

Oh good choice Phrynne!"

Only if I can hang out to April :)"


If not, I'm sure you'll find something else written by a female Aussie;)


message 37: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11121 comments Mod
I have Frantic by Katherine Howell down to read in April for the Annual Aussie Author Challenge(favourite genre). She could double up for this challenge too!


message 38: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaelswensson) | 10592 comments That good thinking Phrynne. I will be interested to read your thoughts on that one.


message 39: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11121 comments Mod
Michael wrote: "That good thinking Phrynne. I will be interested to read your thoughts on that one."

I am expecting to enjoy it. I have only seen positive comments about Katherine Howell here and the subject matter is right up my alley!


message 40: by Christy (new)

Christy (mrscrich) | 216 comments I'll be doubling up too and think I'll read Year of Wonders Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks by Geraldine Brooks
It's been sitting on by bookshelf for far too long!


message 41: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Great choices Phrynne and Christy!


message 42: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (last edited Mar 19, 2013 11:26PM) (new)

Phrynne | 11121 comments Mod
Christy wrote: "I'll be doubling up too and think I'll read Year of WondersYear of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks by Geraldine Brooks
It's been sitting on by bookshelf for far too long!"


I loved Year of Wonders. In fact I have enjoyed all of the books I have read by Geraldine Brooks. I still have March left to read and I think I have that in my Aussie Author Challenge too! If there's anyone out there thinking of reading Caleb's Crossing get the audiobook. It is brilliant!


message 43: by Sally906 (last edited Apr 21, 2013 09:11PM) (new)

Sally906 I have two lined up for April:

Flame Tree Hill by Mandy Magro Flame Tree Hill by Mandy Magro

Peace, Love and Khaki Socks by Kim Lock Peace, Love and Khaki Socks by Kim Lock - which is set here in Darwin, so am happy to have been given a copy of this one :)


message 44: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Nice choices Sally:)


message 45: by Zoey (new)

Zoey  (rozannen) | 1027 comments I have After the Darkness After the Darkness by Honey Brown Honey Browndown for the Aussie Author challenge as well as in the Autumn Challenge, so might as well add it in for this one as well. :)


message 46: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Zoey wrote: "I have After the DarknessAfter the Darkness by Honey BrownHoney Browndown for the Aussie Author challenge as well as in the Autumn Challenge, so might as well add it in for this one as well. :)"

That's killing 3 birds with one stone!! Well done:) Loved this one Zoey!


message 47: by Ashleigh (last edited Mar 23, 2013 03:02PM) (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighbailey) | 182 comments I have just read Animal People by Charlotte Wood. I really enjoyed reading this and I got through it really quick (over two days). I love the way Charlotte Wood writes, details of the mundane with a subtle shock at the end.
I would love to read another of her books for this challege.


message 48: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 68779 comments Mod
Ashleigh wrote: "I have just read Animal People by Charlotte Wood. I really enjoyed reading this and I got through it really quick (over two days). I love the way Charlotte Wood writes, details of the mundane with ..."

Have you read The Children Ashleigh...I enjoyed that one:)


message 49: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 323 comments I'll be reading Serpent Dust.


message 50: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh (ashleighbailey) | 182 comments Brenda wrote: "Ashleigh wrote: "I have just read Animal People by Charlotte Wood. I really enjoyed reading this and I got through it really quick (over two days). I love the way Charlotte Wood writes, details of ..."

Thanks for the recommendation Brenda. That one was on my list because the main charater in Animal People is the boy in The Children.


« previous 1 3 4
back to top