Young Writers discussion

Realistic Fiction > Someday - Short Story

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments ... More like a couple of paragraphs, actually.

A story about loss.

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

message 2: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments I will just post it here since it's short.

It's strange how things have a habit of disappearing right as you realize you need them. One second someone's there for you, holding you, whispering to you, making you promises, and then they're gone. Gone like that bird feather I found once, a pure white piece of exquisitely soft down, plucked out of my hand by the unyielding wind.

Without my father here, there's a gash in the otherwise perfect tapestry of my life. Sometimes I stop and I am just so confused. Sometimes I feel like I can't go on, can't take another step, can't force myself to bother with anything at all. People tell me that it will be okay. I'll get over it someday. Of course, I want to say, but someday is not now. I don't voice my opinions out loud because they are just words. Words, I've found, hardly make a difference when all is said and done.

Now I come here, to this spot where my father and I used to come. I swear I can hear our laughter ringing through the forest, bursting through the canopy of rainbow colored autumn leaves. Here is the circle of rocks where we used to build our fires on warm summer nights. We would crouch near the flames and slap away mosquitos and laugh and laugh until our marshmallows were seared, and we ate them anyway, peeling away the hot black crust and burning our tongues on the delicious goo inside.

It's not fair, that all this would be taken away from me. It's not fair that my father got cancer and now he's gone and we will never laugh by the campfire again.

Time heals, they say. Their voices bounce around inside my skull, consistently hammering. I try to push them down but they fight. Time heals. Time heals. You'll be okay someday.

When is someday? Is it tomorrow or in a million years? It's vague reassurances like these that I hate. When is someday? Is it a mythical land far, far away, across many dimensions, many eons? A time I will never reach?

It feels like that.

message 3: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
Awh, this is really sad. D: The writing is really pretty, though, and I like your descriptions of the narrator's life with her dad. It'd be cool to see more of that, maybe contrasted with her life now? If you wanted to expand it or anything.

message 4: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Thanks so much! :D Maybe I will expand it. I wasn't planning to, but it's on my mind now!

message 5: by Elliott (new)

Long short stories are fun, haha. It's an idea with a lot of possibilities.

message 6: by Sevania (last edited Mar 20, 2013 08:11AM) (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments I've always been super bad at long stories. Lol. Maybe I have a short attention span or something, but I can never seem to stick with something for too long.

message 7: by Elliott (new)

That's what's good about writing short stories instead of novels. I read somewhere that it's better for young writers to write tons of short stories to improve and learn and whatnot and avoid writing novels until they know more about writing. I'm just more into writing novels because short stories are hard for me. It probably depends the person.

message 8: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Yes, I suppose I find it easier to condense my ideas into one page or less. I am trying to write longer novels (I have a couple started which I work on as I please). But I can only write them in small increments.

message 9: by Elliott (new)

Yeah, novels can be really hard to keep working at once the initial excitement of starting is gone.

message 10: by Taylor (new)

Taylor @Sev
I've probably read the same stuff Lav has. The advantage to the short story is that you can learn how to start and finish a story arc, which is typically the hardest thing to learn for young writers. With a longer piece, you have to wade through a lot of words to finish a story, and so most people never learn how to bring something full circle.

Furthermore, it is actually better for a writer with low self-esteem to write short stories. There is a sense of accomplishment that comes with every draft, and this allows you to feel that much faster, thereby encouraging you to write more.

message 11: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Hm. Story arc. I'm not sure if this includes one. *thinks about story arcs* I will make a mental note of that...

It is true that I get a lot more satisfaction off of short stories (well, probably because I've never actually finished a long one) but I don't really think my self esteem is low. I dunno.

message 12: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments Taylor [formerly Timothy] wrote: "@Sev
I've probably read the same stuff Lav has. The advantage to the short story is that you can learn how to start and finish a story arc, which is typically the hardest thing to learn for young w..."

So is that why I can only write like two-page short stories? XP

message 13: by Taylor (new)

Taylor @Emily
-.-

message 14: by Isaac (new)

Isaac | 8014 comments No but it's true

I honestly have a hard time getting a story to reach 1,000 words

message 15: by Sevania (last edited Mar 23, 2013 10:04PM) (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments There's nothing wrong with that!

message 16: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Nothing wrong at all. :) I'm learning the craft of the short story, and they have a place in my writing and they're great. I'm just diligent enough to finish novels, so I'll do that.

message 17: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne Shriver (roxannexshriver) This is very sad, but that's also why it's so beautiful.

I really liked all of the questions that the narrator asked at the very end.

"When is someday? Is it tomorrow or in a million years? It's vague reassurances like these that I hate. When is someday? Is it a mythical land far, far away, across many dimensions, many eons? A time I will never reach?"

It pretty much summarizes how anyone that has ever felt loss feels, no matter if it's a little thing (like a broken heart) or the loss of a loved one.