Young Writers discussion

Poetry > Let Us...

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Well, I thought I was a good poet until I read some ACTUAL poems... Lol... Anyway.

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

message 2: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Hmmm...I like it.

What sorts of things do you define as "actual" poems? Do tell.

message 3: by Sevania (last edited Mar 17, 2013 10:09PM) (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments I dunno. Poems better than mine x|

Like the other ones in this folder.

Maybe the term actual poems wasn't completely correct.

message 4: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Most of the poems here are mine. I'm flattered. :D

message 5: by Elliott (new)

Elliott | 22636 comments Mod
Oh, I love this! It's so hopeful and pretty and idealistic.

message 6: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Taylor [formerly Timothy] wrote: "Most of the poems here are mine. I'm flattered. :D"

Lol, yes. I love yours!

message 7: by Sevania (last edited Mar 17, 2013 10:49PM) (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Lav wrote: "Oh, I love this! It's so hopeful and pretty and idealistic."

Thank you! :)

message 8: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Is my sort of poetry the kind you want to write, or do you prefer a little more…elegant stuff?

message 9: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments I'd say a variety. I can occasionally manage some really flowery language, but a lot of the time I put down whatever thoughts are crossing my mind, with varying results.

message 10: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Spoken word poetry (the kind I do) might be right for you then. It's all about conveying thoughts in their rawest form, while still attaching some poetic devices. I'll give you a few poems to look at. How do you feel about profanity?

message 11: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Wow, thanks! I'm fine with profanity, but I don't often use it in my writing.

message 12: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Neither do I. I prefer not to generate such garbage, but I enjoy a lot of pieces that have it.

Ohhhhhh man…where to start?

Okay. Here we go. Look up a video on YouTube. Shake the Dust by Anis Mojgani. That poem got me and many others started on spoken word poetry. It's powerful and is the first poem I truly enjoyed.

message 13: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments That. Is. Amazing. You're right, it is really powerful. I'm not actually sure what to say.

message 14: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Hahaha…stick with nothing, if it suits you. It is in silence that we give birth to dreams.

Here's one to contrast it. Look up Thinking About You by Mike Taylor. Way funny, and way cute.

message 15: by Sevania (new)

Sevania (sevthedev) | 2512 comments Lol! Like bugs think about grass, like thugs think about... grass.

That's really funny!

message 16: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Lol…yep. The whole thing is pretty clever.

Another similar poem is Dinosaur Love by Harry Baker. No video for this one.