The Next Best Book Club discussion

Looking For Recommendations > In a serious book funk!!!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks) I have been in a ridiculous book funk recently! I have read some good books but I want something FANTASTIC!!! Some of my absolute favorites are The Book of Lost Things and The Shadow of the Wind. Help me find something epic! I want a stay up all night, can't stop thinking about, recommend to everyone kind of book!

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brittany wrote: "I have been in a ridiculous book funk recently! I have read some good books but I want something FANTASTIC!!! Some of my absolute favorites are The Book of Lost Things and The Shadow of the Wind. H..."

I love both of those books!! Have you tried The Name of the Rose or The Club Dumas? They are kind of along those lines. I think that I know what kind of books you are talking about, and I love them too. I am gonna think more on it...

message 3: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Mar 17, 2013 09:38PM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) You need to read The Knife of Never Letting Go. It's book one of a trilogy, and is such an unique story. It has action and excitement and romance, and you'll need to have the second book handy!

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Barter (emuriel777) | 59 comments How about one of these:
Epics:
1.Rockbound by Frank Parker Day
2.Cry The Beloved Country by Alan Paton
Fantasy:
The Book of Kells by R.A.MacAvoy
Nocturnes by John Connolly
The Damiano Trilogy by R.A.MacAvoy
These might break the funk ,I Hope.Good luck.

message 5: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 6 comments Try Skallagrigg by William Horwood, one of the best books I have ever read.

Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks) Thank you all so much for the recommendations! So many of these sound fabulous, I am heading to the library today! Keep them coming!

message 7: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) Jane wrote: "Try Skallagrigg by William Horwood, one of the best books I have ever read."

I so much love his Duncton novels, but I've been afraid to try this, as quite a different sort of book. I shall.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments I really loved The Book Thief. Don't be deterred by it's "young adult" label. It's amazing! I also recommend pretty much anything by John Green . Another good sci-fi novel I read recently was Cinder. Hope you find something you like!

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 6 comments Bryn wrote: "Jane wrote: "Try Skallagrigg by William Horwood, one of the best books I have ever read."

I so much love his Duncton novels, but I've been afraid to try this, as quite a different sort of book. I ..."

Bryn, don't be afraid to try it - it's an amazing book. If you do read it I would love to know what you think.

Also if you loved the Duncton books have you tried The Stonor Eagles, it is brilliant too.

message 10: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) Thanks Jane. I just scoured my shelves -- I have The Stonor Eagles, again haven't tried it yet. I don't think I have the other but I'll definitely be getting it, now.

I do adore the Dunctons.

Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks) I've never even heard of Horwood. I will definitely have to try one of his books. Which would you guys recommend first?

message 12: by Bryn (last edited Mar 18, 2013 05:56PM) (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) Brittany wrote: "I've never even heard of Horwood. I will definitely have to try one of his books. Which would you guys recommend first?"

I'd better leave that question to Jane.
This is the first of the 6 Duncton novels: Duncton Wood. Animal fiction, with human concerns, and very adult concepts. Like 'Watership Down', it's often said. For me they outstrip 'Watership Down', fond as I am of that too.

I did give a go to his later animal fiction Journeys to the Heartland, on wolves, but I have to report I did not care for that.

I think most of his books are out of print.

message 13: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 6 comments If you can get hold of SKallagrigg, I would suggest trying it first as it is a stand alone story. A friend recently got a copy on Amazon Marketplace but I am not sure what availability would be like outside the UK. I will try and do some research to find one as I would be willing to post it to you.

Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks) Thanks a lot!

message 15: by Jane (new)

Jane (flopsybunny) | 6 comments I have found a copy from abebooks.co.uk for 66p plus postage and they will send to the States.

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Going back to an older book ... The Clan of the Cave Bear

message 17: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 193 comments That's a good one - and the ones that follow.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Barter (emuriel777) | 59 comments Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver
and also by Ms Kingsolver The Bean Trees.

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Barter (emuriel777) | 59 comments you also might enjoy 'The Bean Trees' and 'Pigs In Heaven 'by Barbara Kingsolver

Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks) Thanks again for all the recommendations! Let me know if you guys think of more!