The Complete Persepolis (Persepolis, #1-4) The Complete Persepolis question

Ridiculing the right to education in so-called "liberal" West: Case of ban on 'Persepolis' in schools of Chicago, USA

I think the school has other motivations behind banning the book. Kids see all kinds of violence and sexual situations today. We SHOULD engage these issues in the classroom. That's the place to learn and understand. I agree that it is odd to spend time banning books in a democratic society. If kids are really free then they have to learn how to be free and make wise choices. Yes, schools really overreact, especially with any topic related to sexuality and kids. Any school that bans such material really wants to pretend the issues are not there.

Alice43 (last edited Mar 20, 2013 09:47AM ) Mar 20, 2013 09:47AM   0 votes
I loved this book.It portrays a serious situation from the view of a young girl.I think it touches on so many issues in life and is one of my favorite reads.

A soon as I finished it,I gave it to my 14 year old daughter to read.

Nick (last edited Apr 10, 2013 08:56AM ) Apr 10, 2013 08:53AM   -1 votes
My daughter, in the UK equivalent of 6th grade, has just started reading this book; I'm fairly happy to let her.

There are a couple of areas which might be awkward for a 12-year-old because they involve sexuality, but surely the more troubling aspects are in the brutality of a violent revolution.

She's just read The Hunger Games and doesn't seem psychologically damaged by it, so I'm fine with her reading this. In fact, she's already seen the animated film.

I'd certainly have no problems giving this book to a well-adjusted 15- or 16-year-old, so the restriction even to grade 10 seems a little over-cautious.

Banning any kind of book is absurd. I hope they don't go through with this.