Fans of Eloisa James & Julia Quinn discussion

Monday Puzzler > March 18: Monday Puzzler

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Okie (new)

Okie (okieb) | 2052 comments Mod
She sipped her ale, those wide violet eyes watching him over the rim of her tankard. "I'll give you those diamonds back on one condition. Five conditions, actually."

He smiled stiffly, wishing his blood would cool, but her caress left him piping hot, rigid as marble. Hero didn't know what to do with himself. As, no doubt, the temptress was aware. "Hmmm?"

"I want your stud services for five nights. While we're in the country together."

Incapable of speech, he watched her pour ale with a steady hand, her expression unreadable. God in heaven she was a menace, he thought, more dangerous than he gave her credit for in the past.

"Five nights for five diamonds," she added as if he might not understand the significance of the number.
"You see, I've been thinking about your marriage proposal. The truth is, I would like a child."

The surprises continued falling around him like ripened walnuts.
Then she added, "But what if you can't give me one?"

"I can't say the possibility had occurred to me."

"Of course not. To save us both unnecessary trouble, I'll give you five nights to preform your duty. We should make certain everything works. Is that agreeable to you?"

Words would not form.

"I don't mind if the five nights are consecutive, Hero. Whatever is convenient. If I become pregnant, then we'll marry to make my child legitimate. If I do not conceive a child, then we'll both be free to go our separate ways. No harm done."

One thing was for sure, he realized, she would never cry on his shoulder with her problems. She didn't want to be saved by him, or comforted.

She wanted to be serviced.

"You've been thinking this through, obviously."

"Of course. To embark on any arrangement with a man like you is a mistake, unless one considers everything."

"Everything?" He was incredulous, although that was perhaps not a strong enough word.

"You may not be up to it, and I should hate to agree to this convenient marriage arrangement and then one day wake up and find I'm too old to have children." She shot him a glance that could be described as unladylike at best, blatantly lusty at worst. "Why shouldn't I give you a chance to provide me with a child I want?" Her eyelids looked heavy again. The tip of her tongue swept her upper lip, wiping off a little froth from the ale. "With your looks and my brains... Don't look so peevish, Hero." She chuckled. "Bedding me won't put you out too much. I'll be very good, I promise, and oblige your every desire."

Her bold, teasing words made him restless, and his shaft stretched uncomfortably another inch, trying the material of his already too-tight breeches.

"Five nights for five diamonds, Hero. You do want them all back, don't you?" Picking up her fork, she finished the last few bites on her plate, making the most of his hospitality. And his mute confusion.

"There is only one other thing," she added.

Of course, there must be something more.

"For those five night there'd better be no other women."

James choked out a response. "And no other men."

She nodded. "Good. I shall have your sole attention then for five nights. In the country."

He bowed his head. "And I shall have yours."

message 2: by Okie (new)

Ladies, I posted a little early. One hint- this is book two in the series. This is a new author for me and can I just say that I'm Thrilled I took a chance and picked this book up. I absolutely loved this couples story and HEA.

message 3: by Dls (new)

Dls | 2063 comments Mod
I definitely haven't read this!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (susaninaz) | 991 comments Purple eyes, 5 diamonds, liquor, and unrestrained sex. Sounds like Elizabeth Taylor's memoirs. Nope, she doesn't write that well. I have no idea...

message 5: by Okie (new)

funny, Susan!

message 6: by Okie (new)

It's The Wicked Wedding of Miss Ellie Vyne by Jayne Fresina

message 7: by Valie (new)

Valie (valiemartin) | 65 comments My, it seems fun ! I should try this author soon !
Thanks Okie !

message 8: by Okie (new)

yayay! I'm glad, Valie :)) It was a fun read. I Really grew to love these two characters!

Shh I'm reading! (thequietone) | 92 comments I miss these puzzlers! Yes, this is definitely being added to the TBR pile. I love the twist on the stud service concept.

message 10: by Manda (new)

Manda Collins (manda_collins) | 1885 comments Mod
Haven't read her yet, though this sounds fun.

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica | 548 comments Mod
That sounded like its going to be a fun book! Thanks, Okie!!!

message 12: by Okie (new)

It was a really fun read. I loved the hero and heroine witty conversations! They made me lol :)) Both of them were pretty hilarious. I'm planning in reading the other books in this series.