Movies We've Just Watched discussion

The Nanny Diaries

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 25 comments Could there be a dumber movie out there right now? I was excited to see it because it was slated as a comedy and Scarlett Johansen stars, but it was horrible. For one thing the format is weird. I am pretty flexible about new approaches but this kind of reminded me a bit of the 1st version of Freaky Friday (not the story line, but the fragmentation.) I was o.k. with the strangeness until I began to wonder, "what is going on in the movie?" My husband painfully watched it with me and every few minutes would let out a gigantic sigh and shift around in his seat. It had funny moments but in no way would I consider it a comedy. Not a movie I would see again and sure glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater!

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Hi Julie,

Your husband sounds like a saint! :-) I didn't see the movie, the previews were painful enough. I did, however, read the book and it was a cute, short book for those times when you want some fluff to read. I could relate to the mothers in the story, too many of them sounded like people I've known in my past.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I read the book about two years ago and was looking forward to the movie and was so very disappointed when I finally saw it. The book was cute and as most books can, went into much more character detail than the movie. Had I not read the book, I would not have understood the characters in the movie. It really was a horrible adaptation.

message 4: by Emma (new)

Emma | 6 comments i cant believe they screwed up so badly. it was like watching a massive haemorrhaging of talent. laura linney is an amazing actress, and they clearly put a LOT of money into the whole operation, but it was so lifeless and... well crap, for lack of a better word, as to be quite shocking.
i've said it before and i'll say it again, this is why focus groups should be outlawed.