Goodreads All Sorts discussion

Member's Corners > Pamela's Corner

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I hated to be told what to read in school. I skipped most of the classics for the cliff notes and any Arthurian Legend I could get my hands on. As you can see by the currently reading, I am still reading seeking out the best of those legends. I bought a kindle so that I could read the classics that I missed when I was younger. I can finally appreciate those wonderful works. My favorite authors are Jane Austen,Edgar Allan Poe, and Charles Dickens.

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Hi pam, welcome. Looking forward to reading Jane Austin again too

message 3: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Hi Pam, and welcome. I didn't like the classics while at school either. Agree with the "force" part. Started reading them about 10 years ago now, and enjoying them immensely. Don't like Jane Austin, my Mum was a huge fan though.

message 4: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Hi Pam's corner,
I also had a tough time with many of the classics in high school.
I do want to read them, though. Maybe now at 28 I'm finally ready.

There's a group called Classics For Beginners where you can set a reading goal for the year. I set mine at 3 for 2013. I'm 0% done so far :-\

message 5: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Jon wrote: "Hi Pam's corner,
I also had a tough time with many of the classics in high school.
I do want to read them, though. Maybe now at 28 I'm finally ready.

There's a group called Classics For Beginners..."

If I may suggest, try a subject you're keen on. I started on Sherlock Holmes, then HG Wells and Jules Verne, then went on from there.

message 6: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Jean wrote: "If I may suggest, try a subject you're keen on. I started on Sherlock Holmes, then HG Wells and Jules Verne, then went on from there. "
Oh I've always loved those 3, even when I was young. I guess I didn't really consider them classics since I actually enjoyed them :)

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela If I set a goal, I would probably never reach it. I don't like to be forced by myself to read. Yes, I'm truly twisted.

I've had my kindle since 2011, so I have done pretty well reading classics. I have read all of Jane Austen. Pamela (both volumes) and Clarissa Harlow by Samuel Richardson and Evelina and Cecilia by Fanny Burney. I have read Anna Karenina. I want to read War and Peace. I have even purchased it, but not yet read it yet. I read the Illiad and the Odyssey. I have just finished reading A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens which was amazing. Jon, I suggest 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, by Jules Verne. My nephew loves the book, so I had to read it. It was a great adventure!

message 8: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Verne is great.

message 9: by Jean (new)

Jean (Busybooks) | 73 comments Verne is hey. Loved his stories. Makes you think that perhaps him and HG Wells got together with the Time Machine. They both wrote way ahead of their times. Love Sci Fi

message 10: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Hey, Pam. Just dropping by to see your lovely corner. Nice books, by the way. :)

message 11: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments Classics for beginners sounds interesting. I may just join it. There is another great group th dead writers group

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Alondra wrote: "Hey, Pam. Just dropping by to see your lovely corner. Nice books, by the way. :)"

Thanks so much for stopping by. What kind of books do you like to read? Read any good ones you just loved?

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I have joined The Pickwick Club on Goodreads that focuses on just reading Charles Dickens.

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Reading Dickens would be nice.
I recently read Dodger, starring the Artful Dodger character from Oliver Twist. Dickens himself makes an appearance, as well as other famous luminaries of that time period (coalesces with the early part of Victoria's reign, though Pratchett changed the chronology a bit to fit the story).
If you're looking for a fun break from the classics then check it out.

message 15: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Pam wrote: "I hated to be told what to read in school. I skipped most of the classics for the cliff notes and any Arthurian Legend I could get my hands on. As you can see by the currently reading, I am still..."

Welcome Pam.... I love your corner..... Its nice to meet you... You have done a wonderful job on your corner.
I have always loved the classics.. I was the student that half the class called wanting info on the books as I had actually read them long before required but read them again.. We didn't have cliff notes back when I was in school.. hahaha I am telling you my age huh?

message 16: by Jocelyne (new)

Jocelyne Lebon I'd love to have some info about the group on classics for beginners; is it going on now. I don't think I saw it. It is a great incentive to stay focused and stick to one's goals

message 17: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Jocelyne wrote: "I'd love to have some info about the group on classics for beginners; is it going on now. I don't think I saw it. It is a great incentive to stay focused and stick to one's goals"

Hi Jocelyne, it is still going, here is the link http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4...

message 18: by Jocelyne (new)

Jocelyne Lebon Thanks a bunch!

message 19: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Denisa wrote: "Pam wrote: "I hated to be told what to read in school. I skipped most of the classics for the cliff notes and any Arthurian Legend I could get my hands on. As you can see by the currently reading..."

Denisa, Thanks so much. I have given my nephew and nieces all the children versions of the classics in the hopes that they will be more familiar than I was at that age. What are your favorite classics?

message 20: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Pam wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Pam wrote: "I hated to be told what to read in school. I skipped most of the classics for the cliff notes and any Arthurian Legend I could get my hands on. As you can see by the cu..."
My favorites are:

Little Women Louisa May Alcott
Emma Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen
Sense and Sensibility Jane Austen
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz L. Frank Baum
Jane Eyre Charlotte Brontë
The Secret Garden Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Awakening Kate Chopin
The Moonstone Wilkie Collins
Robinson Crusoe Daniel Defoe
Bleak House Charles Dickens
A Christmas Carol Charles Dickens
The Scarlet Letter Nathaniel Hawthorne
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame Victor Hugo
Les Misérables Victor Hugo
The Phantom of the Opera Gaston Leroux
The Call of the Wild Jack London
Black Beauty Anna Sewell
Romeo and Juliet William Shakespeare
Frankenstein Mary Shelley
Uncle Tom's Cabin Harriet Beecher Stowe
Gulliver's Travels Jonathan Swift
Anna Karenina Leo Tolstoy
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer Mark Twain
Journey to the Center of the Earth Jules Verne
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Jules Verne
The Time Machine H.G. Wells
There are more but ..

message 21: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Denisa wrote: "Pam wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Pam wrote: "I hated to be told what to read in school. I skipped most of the classics for the cliff notes and any Arthurian Legend I could get my hands on. As you can s..."

Of those you listed I have read and loved these:
Emma Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice Jane Austen
Sense and Sensibility Jane Austen
The Secret Garden Frances Hodgson Burnett
A Christmas Carol Charles Dickens
Romeo and Juliet William Shakespeare
Anna Karenina Leo Tolstoy
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Mark Twain
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer Mark Twain
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Jules Verne

message 22: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Pam wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Pam wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Pam wrote: "I hated to be told what to read in school. I skipped most of the classics for the cliff notes and any Arthurian Legend I could get my hands on..."
well it looks like you have read several... you're not that far behind...I could always tell from my teens book reports required for school if they had actually read them or not ..lol and the teacher could always tell when I helped.. one day on my son's paper the teacher wrote MOM get a A+ Mark gets a B-.. hahahahah

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Denisa wrote: "Pam wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Pam wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Pam wrote: "I hated to be told what to read in school. I skipped most of the classics for the cliff notes and any Arthurian Legend I could get..."

That is hilarious!

message 24: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Pam wrote: "Alondra wrote: "Hey, Pam. Just dropping by to see your lovely corner. Nice books, by the way. :)"

Thanks so much for stopping by. What kind of books do you like to read? Read any good ones you j..."

I am realizing, I love to read just about anything. I really noticed this after joining GoodReads.

I recently read The Alchemist and really thought it was such a sweet story. Started Ender's Game last night and couldn't put it down. :D

message 25: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Alondra wrote: "Pam wrote: "Alondra wrote: "Hey, Pam. Just dropping by to see your lovely corner. Nice books, by the way. :)"

Thanks so much for stopping by. What kind of books do you like to read? Read any goo..."

I have wanted to read The Alchemist for years, I just never seem to get around to it. I love those books you pick for a second and enjoy it so much you just can't put it down.

message 26: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 609 comments I have the alchemist somewhere but have never read it. Is it worth rooting out?

message 27: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Stopping in to wish you a great weekend... I am headed out in a few... sometimes I am on during weekend and sometimes not... Never know.. Happy reading... I am off to read The Warring Soul by Kristen Wells

message 28: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Denisa wrote: "Stopping in to wish you a great weekend... I am headed out in a few... sometimes I am on during weekend and sometimes not... Never know.. Happy reading... I am off to read The Warring Soul by Krist..."

I hope you have a good weekend. This is actually a weekend I don't have to work. Let me know how you like that book. I'm going to try and put a dent in The Pickwick Papers I have for another book club.

message 29: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Pam wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Stopping in to wish you a great weekend... I am headed out in a few... sometimes I am on during weekend and sometimes not... Never know.. Happy reading... I am off to read The Warrin..."

I really liked the book The Warring Soul. It is more of a YA book and would be a excellent read for someone entering high school or college.. Some fast moving conflicts and stepping stones to Christ.. Anyone who might fall into school drinking and partying for acceptance should read this.
hmmm I haven't heard of the Pickwick Papers.. sounds interesting... Course I read all types of books as long as the book doesn't run from me...

message 30: by Pamela (last edited Mar 26, 2013 03:03PM) (new)

Pamela Denisa wrote: "Pam wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Stopping in to wish you a great weekend... I am headed out in a few... sometimes I am on during weekend and sometimes not... Never know.. Happy reading... I am off to rea..."

I don't read much Christian fiction. My friend's daughter does write the YA Christian Fiction. Here is one of her books http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...

message 31: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Pam wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Pam wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Stopping in to wish you a great weekend... I am headed out in a few... sometimes I am on during weekend and sometimes not... Never know.. Happy reading... ..."
I read them off and on. If I like the story plot I read them... and I usually pass them on to my daughters who do seem to enjoy them.
thanks so much for the link.... I will pass it along to my daughter as well..

message 32: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Hi Pam... just connecting with everyone... How was your Easter? Mine was full of laughter and lots of food... I have moved on to a new book. Its called The View From Penthouse B by Elinor Lipman. So far I like the voice of the writer and the characters too... Hope your day is wonderful.

message 33: by Pamela (new)

Pamela What is the book about? I had a nice relaxing Easter. Thanks so much for asking. I am currently reading The Pickwick Papers for another book club. I am really enjoying it. After that, I will read Vanity Fair, for yet another book club. I did see that Amazon is set to buy Goodreads. It will be interesting to see how the two will interface.

message 34: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I have just seen news reports that Amazon is buying Goodreads. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the subject.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Pam wrote: "I have just seen news reports that Amazon is buying Goodreads. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the subject."

I was kinda blissfully lurking around (hi BTW) and fell off my chair... Im scared now more ads? *Dives into the water on the side of your icon*

message 36: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 372 comments Pam wrote: "I have just seen news reports that Amazon is buying Goodreads. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the subject."
Well the ship has sailed, so at this point our only options are:
1. Abandon ship. Scary
2. Remain on ship, hold on tight, and hope the journey is pleasant. Also scary

What are your thoughts?

message 37: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Pam wrote: "What is the book about? I had a nice relaxing Easter. Thanks so much for asking. I am currently reading The Pickwick Papers for another book club. I am really enjoying it. After that, I will read..."

I haven't read that book yet.. It is weird sometimes..I read close to 150 to 200 books a year and still run across twice that many I haven't read lol... but at least I won't ever run out of something to read... My husbands jokes that if we had a fall out cellar I would store books before food.. hahha probably not but you can bet I would have a some...
Glad you r holiday was well...
I think a lot of people are wondering how Amazon linked with goodreads will work... I hope nothing changes as I think goodreads is perfect by itself.

message 38: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Pam wrote: "What is the book about? I had a nice relaxing Easter. Thanks so much for asking. I am currently reading The Pickwick Papers for another book club. I am really enjoying it. After that, I will read..."

I forgot... the book is about two sisters and life dealing with divorce, loneliness and a new fried and cupcakes...its sad... humor and "I understand" emotions..

message 39: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Ina wrote: "Pam wrote: "I have just seen news reports that Amazon is buying Goodreads. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the subject."

I was kinda blissfully lurking around (hi BTW) and fell off..."

I don't like ads at all and I would have paid a membership as to have ads plaster all over the pages here

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Oh god I hope there is no membership fee or premium membership thing that would suck! I agree with Jon though

message 41: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Jon wrote: "Reading Dickens would be nice.
I recently read Dodger, starring the Artful Dodger character from Oliver Twist. Dickens himself makes an appearance, as well as other famous luminaries of that time ..."

Thanks for the tip. I'll at it to my to read list. I haven't yet read Oliver Twist. It's my next book after reading Vanity Fair which I am right now.

message 42: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Denisa wrote: "Ina wrote: "Pam wrote: "I have just seen news reports that Amazon is buying Goodreads. I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the subject."

I was kinda blissfully lurking around (hi BTW) ..."

I imagine we will be taken to the purchase page when we want to look at a particular book. What I hate on Amazon is that they combine all the reviews of all versions of a book on one so that you cannot look at the reviews for the quality of a book's ebook version. I do not view this acquisition as a good thing unfortunately.

message 43: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Ina wrote: "Oh god I hope there is no membership fee or premium membership thing that would suck! I agree with Jon though"

I don't think they would add a membership fee. Although, they may include things in their prime membership.

message 44: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Is currently reading Vanity Fair and is so mad at a character that she would kill him off if she were the author.

Has any character gotten you so upset that you felt that way? Has any character acted in a way the destroyed the book for you?

message 45: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Katherine wrote: "I have the alchemist somewhere but have never read it. Is it worth rooting out?"

I think it is worth rooting out, besides; if it is not really your cup of tea, it is really short :D

message 46: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller Pam wrote: "Is currently reading Vanity Fair and is so mad at a character that she would kill him off if she were the author.

Has any character gotten you so upset that you felt that way? Has any character..."

No, not that I remember; but I have felt that way about certain books. Sad, but true.

message 47: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Hi Pam... just out visiting today... How is everything with you?
in the book I just read called where you can find me by sheri joseph...the mom character I wanted to take her for a discussion or take her to lunch and come back alone... I know not very nice but...

message 48: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Denisa wrote: "Hi Pam... just out visiting today... How is everything with you?
in the book I just read called where you can find me by sheri joseph...the mom character I wanted to take her for a discussion or ta..."

The character I wanted to off was in Vanity Fair, which was a truly amazing book by the way! In Pamela Vol. 2 I just wanted to cut Mr. B not off him. Funny, how wrapped up we can get in these fictional lives.

I'm doing well by the way. I just started reading treasure island. How are you doing?

message 49: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Alondra wrote: "Pam wrote: "Is currently reading Vanity Fair and is so mad at a character that she would kill him off if she were the author.

Has any character gotten you so upset that you felt that way? Has a..."

When I want to off the main characters, I know it's time to quit reading the book. This time I was reading a book that I really loved, Vanity Fair. I just wanted one character gone.

message 50: by Denisa (new)

Denisa Howe | 1697 comments Pam wrote: "Denisa wrote: "Hi Pam... just out visiting today... How is everything with you?
in the book I just read called where you can find me by sheri joseph...the mom character I wanted to take her for a d..."

I am fine thank you... had a bit of a rough night and morning with the Okla tornadoes and bad storms but I survived... am off to another day...

« previous 1