You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

53 views
Closed Discussion Topic > May 2013 - Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Mar 17, 2013 04:37PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48003 comments Kat has been busy this month and so the other mods are filling in to ease things for her.

We'll start taking nominations for the theme for May until March 24th and then we'll set up a poll to vote.


message 2: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (shirleythekindlereader) Nature

Travels in out of the way places ... hiking,bicycling,canoeing,mountain climbing etc.


message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna (annamatsuyama) | 1048 comments Horror and ghosts


message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

May starts with mayday, so how about folk tales?


message 5: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments As winter turns into spring, maybe something dealing with metamorphosis?


message 6: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (nchigh) | 543 comments I nominate military themed (non-fiction & fiction {like Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk by Ben Fountain ] or The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers ).
Here in US May has several Military holidays:

May 8: VE Day (victory in Europe -WWII)
May 10: Military Spouses Day
May 18 :Armed Forces Day
May 27: Memorial Day


message 7: by Snoozie Suzie (new)

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments I suggest diaries


message 8: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Alexandra wrote: "As winter turns into spring, maybe something dealing with metamorphosis?"

Or as Summer turns into Autumn. I forgot what cold mornings felt like. Or more importantly, how hard it is to get up out of bed those mornings.


message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments It's Mother's Day in May in a fair whack of the world. Maybe family relationships? As in the book focuses on a particular relationship within a family. Eg. mother - daughter/son, father - daughter/son, siblings, etc?


message 10: by Kimberly (last edited Mar 20, 2013 12:11PM) (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Fantasy novels


message 11: by Thing Two (new)

Thing Two (thingtwo) I'm going to throw in those major award winners, again. The Pulitzer, Commonwealth, and Orange Prize are all announced in May. We could read any of the previous winners ... :D


message 12: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments Rusalka wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "As winter turns into spring, maybe something dealing with metamorphosis?"

Or as Summer turns into Autumn. I forgot what cold mornings felt like. Or more importantly, how hard it ..."


Oh right, you´re having the seasons the other way round...


message 13: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments Rusalka wrote: "It's Mother's Day in May in a fair whack of the world. Maybe family relationships? As in the book focuses on a particular relationship within a family. Eg. mother - daughter/son, father - daughter/..."

I like that idea!


message 14: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19794 comments I like the family relationships theme too!


message 15: by Jkmays (new)

Jkmays ooh, I like the family relationships or prizewinners too.


message 16: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Alexandra wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "As winter turns into spring, maybe something dealing with metamorphosis?"

Or as Summer turns into Autumn. I forgot what cold mornings felt like. Or more important..."


I'm always stubbornly backwards ;)


message 17: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex2911) | 431 comments Rusalka wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "As winter turns into spring, maybe something dealing with metamorphosis?"

Or as Summer turns into Autumn. I forgot what cold mornings felt like...."


Or you´re ahead of us :-)


message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Well it's May Day (1st May) which is the Pagan festival of Beltaine and the Germanic festival of Walpurgis Night so perhaps books with a pagan/germanic theme? It's also international workers day so perhaps something about worker's rights/demonstrations/riots etc.


message 19: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Jkmays wrote: "ooh, I like the family relationships or prizewinners too."

Me three!


message 20: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Sarah wrote: "Well it's May Day (1st May) which is the Pagan festival of Beltaine and the Germanic festival of Walpurgis Night so perhaps books with a pagan/germanic theme? It's also international workers day so..."

I like the pagan/germanic theme idea as well.


message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48003 comments There are some great ideas here!


back to top