You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > April 2013 - Books Announced

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51964 comments Our poll is now finished and the books that we will be reading in April are:

The Red Tent, and
I, Claudius

If you prefer another book in the theme (Historical fiction in the ancient world), you may read it and discuss it as well. Discussion threads will be set up April 1st, but you may start at any time.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 1166 comments I ordered The Red Tent today :)

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I own The Red Tent so I'm glad it was picked!

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51964 comments I've had the book for a few years, which is why I nominated it. Time to get the dust brushed off of it and read it.

message 5: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) | 2097 comments I read this book when I was in my early thirties with young kids. Now that I am in my mid forties it will be interesting to see how my opinions of the characters change.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments I read The Red Tent years ago and loved it - it's one of my favourites so I will read the other one I think.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I think I might give I, Claudius a try as well. I just checked and my local branch of the library has it. It looks like an awesome read.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Kimberly wrote: "I think I might give I, Claudius a try as well. I just checked and my local branch of the library has it. It looks like an awesome read."

It is. it's very intimate, being told in the first person, but contains more intrigue, sex, infidelity, and goodness only know what than a classic ought to. reads more like a soap opera than the dull, worthy piece of classic literature it seems to be viewed as.

I fist read it as a teenager - taught me a whole load about sin I'd never realised was possible!

And, for those who have access, it starts tonight on BBC4, 10 pm, the seminal 70s televised series staring Derek Jacobi as Claudius.

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51964 comments Sarah wrote: "I read The Red Tent years ago and loved it - it's one of my favourites so I will read the other one I think."

You can still discuss The Red Tent since you've already read it.

message 10: by Jess :) (new)

Jess :) | 248 comments Hi everyone - I'm new to the group and looking forward to I, Claudius!

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51964 comments Welcome E!

message 12: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Hi, E! Welcome to the YLTO famiy!

message 13: by Sharon75uk (new)

Sharon75uk | 125 comments I've read The Red Tent before and don't fancy I, Claudius...this is the first book thats been suggested that I wont try to read :)

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51964 comments Sharon wrote: "I've read The Red Tent before and don't fancy I, Claudius...this is the first book thats been suggested that I wont try to read :)"

You may still discuss The Red Tent since you have read it. And there is always the third option that allows you to read a book of your choice within the theme.

message 15: by Sharon75uk (new)

Sharon75uk | 125 comments Janice wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I've read The Red Tent before and don't fancy I, Claudius...this is the first book thats been suggested that I wont try to read :)"

You may still discuss The Red Tent since you have..."

Hope you didnt think I was moaning that it didn't suit...my tbr list has multiplied FAST since joining here and I love the chat about the books :)

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51964 comments Sharon wrote: "Hope you didnt think I was moaning that it didn't suit...my tbr list has multiplied FAST since joining here and I love the chat about the books :) ..."

No, I was just making sure you understood that you have options.

I'm like you... my TBR has grown so much that I have made it a priority to read books I already own for our group reads and challenges. I need to whittle that pile down... if it's even possible!

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) I read Red Tent several years ago and will give I, Claudius a try.

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 1166 comments I started today The Red Tent and after I will start I, Claudius

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann (disciple45) My library doesn't have I Claudius in their system. I will try the state wide system to see if I can get it.

message 20: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Just curious, for the alphabet challenge, book titles, would I, Claudius be listed under "I" or "C"?

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd say that it would start with "I".
You're allowed to miss Articles (A, An, The etc) at the start of the title but I is a pronoun, and a different part of grammar. I'd struggle to see how you could justify making "I, Claudius" start with a C.

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51964 comments What Helen said. :)

message 23: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I have wanted to read this book for so long, but just never got around to it for some odd reason. I have it on my toppler list, so I'll wait until then to join in the discussion. Hopefully, I'll get to read it during the toppler.

message 24: by Kohinoor (new)

Kohinoor | 9 comments I loved The Red Tent and am excited about giving , I,Claudius a try!

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 1166 comments Kohinoor wrote: "I loved The Red Tent and am excited about giving , I,Claudius a try!"

I'm 85% done with I, Claudius and enjoying it very much!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Excellent, Anna, always pleased to meet another convert. >:-)

message 27: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (annamatsuyama) | 1166 comments Helen wrote: "Excellent, Anna, always pleased to meet another convert. >:-)"

Have you read second book?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, although it was ages ago now. I meant to re-read it again after finishing Claudius, but haven;t quite got that far. It continues in the same vein, if you're thinking about it.