Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Giant monsters??

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Braden (new)

Braden A. (megladon8) | 47 comments I'm a huge Godzilla nut. In fact anything involving giant monsters - Godzilla, King Kong, Gamera, the Ultraman series' and movies. Hell, I geeked out when I went to see "Cloverfield" in a Manhattan theatre and came out to see that we were on the street where one of the attacks took place.

I just love giant monsters.

It's a sub-genre that seems to be rarely explored in literature.

The last one I remember reading was "Monster, 1959".

Has anyone read any good giant monster books? Any recommendations?

message 3: by Braden (new)

Braden A. (megladon8) | 47 comments Awesome! I just need to get a Kindle now :(

message 4: by Kate (last edited Mar 19, 2013 05:20AM) (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Get the kindle app for your pc or tablet.

message 5: by William (new)

William (williemeikle) I've written a few others... and a couple are in print too.

Crustaceans by William Meikle

The Creeping Kelp by William Meikle

message 6: by Braden (new)

Braden A. (megladon8) | 47 comments Wow! Very cool! Ordered!

message 7: by Char (new)

Char  | 13887 comments Mod
What about giant fire ants? I had fun reading this one:

Mandibles

message 8: by C.E. (new)

C.E. Martin (cemartin2) | 43 comments Uh, hello, how about Monster Earth?

Monster Earth

Very good book, although it is more about the people living in a world with giant monsters, than about the monsters themselves. Like a Godzilla movie.

message 10: by Braden (new)

Braden A. (megladon8) | 47 comments Tressa wrote: "Clickers"

This is one I've seen on Amazon many times but it seems to have really mixed reviews - some say it's great fun, others say's it's pretty trashy and poorly written.

I'm almost at the breaking point to buy a Kindle, and this would be one of those books I'd get for it.

message 11: by William (new)

William (williemeikle) Braden wrote: "Tressa wrote: "Clickers"

This is one I've seen on Amazon many times but it seems to have really mixed reviews - some say it's great fun, others say's it's pretty trashy and poorly written.

Any "pulpy" novel gets those kinds of reviews.

Literary snobs just love to rubbish stuff they think is beneath them :-) Pulp is something you either "get" or you don't. I feel sorry for folks who don't get any pleasure out of giant monster or big bug fiction.

message 12: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Pulp is an art form!

I watch "THEM" religiously.

And Robert Mitchum is my favorite giant monster!

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Yes, what William said. These kinds of books are a lot of fun. I didn't think it was poorly written at all.

message 14: by Jon Recluse (new)

Poorly written pulp ain't pulp.

It's mulch.

message 15: by Braden (new)

Braden A. (megladon8) | 47 comments I completely agree with the musings on pulp here.

I love pulp - crime, sci fi and horror are often at their best when the writers aren't confined to trying to writing something "important".

But I also think that, just because something is pulpy, doesn't mean it can't have depth of character or themes.

Philip K. Dick would be an example of a writer who I feel very much wrote pulp sci-fi, but it's also some of the best, most challenging stuff readily available in the genre.

So I guess that's what I think of when I try to sum up the difference between "good" and "bad" pulp horror. Anyone could write a series of scenes with a monster laying waste to a city/people, but only a good writer could make it something great, even if its only purpose is to entertain.

Does anything I said there make sense? *cowers away*

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You made perfect sense, Braden.

message 17: by Jon Recluse (new)

When?

message 18: by William (new)

William (williemeikle) "Anyone could write a series of scenes with a monster laying waste to a city/people"

No, they couldn't.

message 19: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 245 comments I had one published that involves giant, mutated fish. Pulped to the max: Fangtooth by Shaun Jeffrey

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5834 comments Mod
I've read FANGTOOTH, CRUSTACEANS, CREEPING KELP, and MANDIBLES. AWESOME reads--in fact, with the exception of MANDIBLES, I got the s/l's of the others because I knew I'd need to "see" them on the shelves! I love good "monster" horror! I's highly recommend any of these. :)

message 21: by David (last edited Apr 01, 2013 09:28AM) (new)

David Dalton | 45 comments One of my favorites: Leviathan by James Byron Huggins. Science gone wrong department once again. The military wants to use a Komodo Dragons' DNA to create a huge relentess killing machine. Awesome action! Not available as an E-Book or I would surely double dip.

message 22: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 245 comments Kimberly wrote: "I've read FANGTOOTH, CRUSTACEANS, CREEPING KELP, and MANDIBLES. AWESOME reads--in fact, with the exception of MANDIBLES, I got the s/l's of the others because I knew I'd need to "see" them on the ..."

Thank you, Kimberly. Really glad you enjoyed it. It's currently on sale over at Dark Regions Press, and there's a great review of it here: http://www.thedeepening.com/2012/01/0...

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Shaun wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I've read FANGTOOTH, CRUSTACEANS, CREEPING KELP, and MANDIBLES. AWESOME reads--in fact, with the exception of MANDIBLES, I got the s/l's of the others because I knew I'd need to "..."

I had pre-ordered it there when it was first announced. :)

message 24: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 567 comments Braden wrote: "I'm a huge Godzilla nut. In fact anything involving giant monsters - Godzilla, King Kong, Gamera, the Ultraman series' and movies. Hell, I geeked out when I went to see "Cloverfield" in a Manhattan..."

Braden, have you read the Godzilla novel series by Marc Cerasini? Quite a good series bringing back Godzilla into true form, as well as using other of his classic monsters. Its very well detailed and well written. Definitely worth reading.
I love giant Monsters, back in the 90's it seemed that there were a number of novels written about giant monsters, but not many authors going for it any more. Its a shame.

message 25: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Thomas (ryancthomas) | 28 comments Jeff wrote: "Braden wrote: "I'm a huge Godzilla nut. In fact anything involving giant monsters - Godzilla, King Kong, Gamera, the Ultraman series' and movies. Hell, I geeked out when I went to see "Cloverfield"..."

I did a book for Permuted Press called MONSTROUS,a collection of short stories about giant monsters (giant insects, giant animals, giant fish et al). It has stories from Steve Alten, Jeff Strand, James A. Moore, Cody Goodfellow, etc. It was a blast to put together. Give it a shot if you get a chance.
Monstrous: 20 Tales of Giant Creature Terror

message 26: by Jeff (new)

Jeff | 567 comments Great I put it down on my want to read list. Thanks

message 27: by William (new)

William (williemeikle) Both THE CREEPING KELP and CRUSTACEANS are currently on discount in the Dark Regions Press sale... 50% and 30% off respectively...

http://www.darkregions.com/william-me...

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

William wrote: "Both THE CREEPING KELP and CRUSTACEANS are currently on discount in the Dark Regions Press sale... 50% and 30% off respectively...

http://www.darkregions.com/william-me..."

Both are GREAT reads!! :)

message 29: by Reed (new)

Reed (TexasReed) | 18 comments I've downloaded Project Nemesis: A Kaiju Thriller by Jeremy Robinson and Matt Frank. Can't speak for the entire book since I haven't gotten to it yet, but the sample was intriguing enough to command a download to my Kindle.

message 30: by Braden (new)

Braden A. (megladon8) | 47 comments Thanks for the recc's everyone! Sorry I've been absent - work has been hectic.

I've written every one of these down :)

I am seriously thinking about purchasing a Kindle sometime this year so I can get access to more of these eBook exclusives.

message 31: by Braden (new)

Braden A. (megladon8) | 47 comments Mr. Meikle - I MUST read some of your work. I'm ordering a few from DarkRegions right now!

message 32: by Chris (new)

Chris Breedlove) (chrisstevenson) | 8 comments I have giant bipedal wolverines in Planet Janitor. Kind of a cross between Starship Troopers and Robinson Crusoe on Mars.

message 33: by Braden (new)

Braden A. (megladon8) | 47 comments So I ended up ordering "The Creeping Kelp" and "Crustaceans"!!

Chris - Will check that out. Heading over to Amazon...

message 34: by Troy (new)

Troy Palmer | 12 comments Reed wrote: "I've downloaded Project Nemesis: A Kaiju Thriller by Jeremy Robinson and Matt Frank. Can't speak for the entire book since I haven't gotten to it yet, but the sample was intriguing enough to comman..."

If you like that you should check out Jeremy Robinson's Kronos. It's another great creature book.Kronos

message 35: by Scot (new)

Scot | 639 comments Fangtooth looks good but I can't find it in the kindle store. It doesn't appear to be available as an ebook. Can you posts link?

message 36: by David (new)

David Wilson Gila!

This is out in eBook from Crossroad Press - it's Kathryn Ptacek writing as Les Simons...giant Gila Monster...

message 37: by William (new)

William (williemeikle) Braden wrote: "So I ended up ordering "The Creeping Kelp" and "Crustaceans"!!

Enjoy!

message 38: by William (new)

William (williemeikle) Scot wrote: "Fangtooth looks good but I can't find it in the kindle store. It doesn't appear to be available as an ebook. Can you posts link?"

Dark Regions are a bit behind with making their books into ebooks... they like to get sales of hardcovers and paperbacks out of the way first...

message 39: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (shaunjeffrey) | 245 comments William wrote: "Scot wrote: "Fangtooth looks good but I can't find it in the kindle store. It doesn't appear to be available as an ebook. Can you posts link?"

Dark Regions are a bit behind with making their book..."

Yes, sadly it's never been released as an ebook. Sorry about that :(

message 40: by Braden (new)

Braden A. (megladon8) | 47 comments William wrote: "Braden wrote: "So I ended up ordering "The Creeping Kelp" and "Crustaceans"!!

Enjoy!"

Can't wait for them to arrive - I'll probably binge both of them in a single weekend!

May be a hard question to answer, but of all of your work, what are you most proud of?

message 41: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Sporleder (sporleder) | 179 comments Zombie Kong - Anthology
Zombie Kong - Anthology by David Niall Wilson
Haven't read it yet but it is on my to be read list.

message 42: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Sporleder (sporleder) | 179 comments All-Monster Action!
All-Monster Action! by Cody Goodfellow
Another one on my to read list but sounds really good!

message 43: by Scot (new)

Scot | 639 comments Well, that's unfortunate. It looks as if I will be waiting.

message 44: by David (new)

David Wilson I can vouch for at least one story in Zombie Kong :)

message 45: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (mpontiff) | 127 comments Zombie Kong was excellent. I think there was only one story I didn't care much for.

message 46: by Reed (new)

Reed (TexasReed) | 18 comments I've downloaded Zombie Kong, and based on the sample of the first story in Cody Goodfellow's All Out Monsters, I'm gonna have to buy that as well.