Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

HEA in Movies > Kiss Me I'm Irish Movies

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (last edited Mar 17, 2013 04:24PM) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Know and love any movies set in Ireland or has an Irish lead? Or deals with any Irish legends or myths?

The Quiet Man - John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara
Finian's Rainbow - Fred Astaire, Petula Clark
High Spirits - Peter O'Toole, Steve Guttenburg (Irish haunted castle)
Darby O'Gill and The Little People
Circle of Friends
My Left Foot
P.S. I Love You
In the Name of the Father (Daniel Day-Lewis)
The Crying Game (Forest Whitaker, Jaye Davidson)
The Commitments
A Shine of Rainbows

message 2: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Pamela, those were two of the three that I immediately thought of. Another good one is Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Oh -- and Circle of Friends, that also takes place in Ireland.

message 3: by Gerrie (new)

Gerrie | 2856 comments My Left Foot
P.S. I Love You

message 4: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Heather L wrote: "Pamela, those were two of the three that I immediately thought of. Another good one is Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Oh -- and Circle of Friends, that also takes place in Ireland."

How could I forget Darby O'Gill? Thanks!

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Gerrie wrote: "My Left Foot
P.S. I Love You"

Thanks bunches, Gerrie!

message 6: by Heather L (last edited Mar 17, 2013 04:15PM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments If you want a couple more intense Irish offerings there are:

* In the Name of the Father (Daniel Day-Lewis)
* The Crying Game (Forest Whitaker, Jaye Davidson)

And how could I forget one of my favorites, if for no other reason than the awesome soundtracks:
* The Commitments

message 7: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Oh, thanks, Heather!

message 8: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (jackierhoades) | 192 comments The Quiet Man is one of my all time favorites!

message 9: by Melanie♥ (last edited Mar 17, 2013 04:18PM) (new)

Melanie♥ (meliaann) | 414 comments I loved A Shine of Rainbows. with Aidan Quinn.

message 10: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Jacqueline wrote: "The Quiet Man is one of my all time favorites!"

Yes, it's a great one!

message 11: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Melanie wrote: "I loved A Shine of Rainbows."

Thanks, Melanie!

message 12: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Sharpe (abigailsharpe) | 2010 comments Looks like I have some new viewing material. Thanks!

message 13: by namericanwordcat (new)

namericanwordcat | 591 comments lol I first though Crossing Delancey but then while this is a great movie it is Jewish.

So, I offer it up for Passover.

message 14: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Thanks, namericanwordcat!

message 15: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Naughty Co-Mod (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 1922 comments Braveheart! I know it's not exactly Ireland, but close enough!

message 16: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments lol sure its close, Dhes!

message 17: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 1 comments "A Green Journey" -- Angela Lansbury -- Very sweet!

message 18: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) Leap Year - Amy Adams

Ondine - Colin Farrell

The Matchmaker - Janeane Garofalo

message 19: by Rachel Annie (new)

Rachel Annie (snapdragoness) PS Ondine is a gem. Not sure if it was even released in the US.

message 20: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney | 160 comments There's Michael Collins with Liam Neeson, Aidan Quinn and Julia Roberts.

It's largely based on a book of secret love letters between Irish revolutionary Michael Collins and his fiancée.

Not really an uplifting movie(!) but not long after it came out I lived in Dublin for a while and had this obsession with that part of Irish history...

message 21: by Heather L (last edited Feb 26, 2014 10:00AM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Another one to add: Evelyn. It stars Pierce Brosnan as a single dad trying to get custody of his three kids from the government after his wife leaves them. At that time, Ireland had a family law that took children away from single fathers and sent them to orphanages.

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments That's crazy.

message 23: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Uh-huh! I had no idea until I caught the movie a few months back. Apparently, it is based on a true story that changed the law.

message 24: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I remember when the movie came out and I saw the trailers. Crazy, crazy!