Chicks On Lit discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > TIME TO VOTE for our next "chunky" novel

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (last edited Mar 17, 2013 02:12PM) (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I am taking recommendations for the next chunky.

One left from our last poll

Forever Amber by K Winsor:
Frequently compared to Gone with the Wind, Forever Amber is the other great historical romance, outselling every other American novel of the 1940s-despite being banned in Boston for its sheer sexiness. A book to read and reread, this edition brings back to print an unforgettable romance and a timeless masterpiece.(less)

message 2: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
One I've always wanted to read is Roots: The Saga of an American Family
by Alex Haley
Roots The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley

Paperback version shows 729 pages

message 3: by Petra (last edited Mar 17, 2013 03:23PM) (new)

Petra I nominate Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth (630 pages)

"Sacred Hunger is a stunning and engrossing exploration of power, domination, and greed. Filled with the "sacred hunger" to expand its empire and its profits, England entered full into the slave trade and spread the trade throughout its colonies. In this Booker Prize-winning work, Barry Unsworth follows the failing fortunes of William Kemp, a merchant pinning his last chance to a slave ship; his son who needs a fortune because he is in love with an upper-class woman; and his nephew who sails on the ship as its doctor because he has lost all he has loved. "

message 4: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I'd like to read Roots, too.

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4084 comments Sacred Hunger is on my TBR list. After Suitable Boy and Infinite Jest, 600 pages does not feel chunky. LOL

I would also like to nominate Game of Thrones by JRR Martin. I want to start this series, but keep putting it off because it is long and so many shorter books can squeeze in front of it.

message 6: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4852 comments Game of Thrones is excellent and the 700 so pages will just fly by once you get into it. Plus the last 10-15 pages of it are reference pages. :)

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Same here with me and Game of Thrones. I really want to get into it. But Roots I have as TBR too. Good choices.

message 8: by Codi (new)

Codi P | 71 comments I'd like to read Forever Amber or Sacred Hunger.

message 9: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4852 comments Forever Amber summary sounds good but 972 pages is big.

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Well chunky novels, our definition is 750 pages or more.

message 11: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4084 comments So, Sacred Hunger does not qualify?

Not sure how many pages are in Game of Thrones.

message 12: by Petra (last edited Mar 19, 2013 07:32AM) (new)

Petra Thanks, Meg! I was wondering what the criteria was for a "chunky".

Instead of Sacred Hunger then, I'll nominate:

Brazil by Errol Lincoln Uys Brazil by Errol Lincoln Uys (776 pgs)

Brazil is the first work of fiction to depict five centuries of a great nation's remarkable history, its evolution from colony to kingdom, from empire to modern republic. With a stunning cast of real and fictional characters, the story unfolds in South America, Africa and Europe.Two families dominate this extraordinary novel. The Cavalcantis are among the original settlers and establish the classic Brazilian plantation -- vast, powerful, built with slave labor. The da Silvas represent the second element in both contemporary and historical Brazil: pathfinders and prospectors.

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Very interesting nominations so far.

I will close the nominations Friday evening.

message 14: by Codi (last edited Mar 19, 2013 08:47AM) (new)

Codi P | 71 comments I'd like to nominate

11/22/63 by Stephan King or An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser.

message 15: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 4852 comments Irene wrote: "So, Sacred Hunger does not qualify?

Not sure how many pages are in Game of Thrones."

The first Game of Thrones book has 864pp. So it qualifies as chunky.

message 16: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) Forever Amber has been on my wish to read list forever, I'll cast my vote for it.

message 17: by Codi (new)

Codi P | 71 comments I'll vote for Forever Amber also. It looks like it'd be very entertaining!

message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments This thread is just for nominations, not voting. A poll will be up over the weekend. Please just nominate one book per person.

message 19: by Codi (new)

Codi P | 71 comments Meg wrote: "This thread is just for nominations, not voting. A poll will be up over the weekend. Please just nominate one book per person."

Oh okay, sorry.

message 20: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments no problem!

message 21: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
It is time to vote! Go here to cast your vote for our next Chunky Read. Voting ends on March 30th.

http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/81...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.