THE Group for Authors! discussion

General Discussion > What on Earth is the "meow" shelf?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon Etheredge (jonetheredge) | 495 comments I found myself on this shelf recently, firmly squashed between books from other writers who are better than I am and some who are better-behaved. At first, I assumed I was being punished, but the "meow" shelf name had me baffled and intrigued.

Maybe it's an acronym for something. "Mediocre English-Oriented Writing?"

My latest guess is the book mentions cats.

Surely somebody knows.

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (normalgirl) | 398 comments Meow! Maybe its the hawt authors shelf.

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon Etheredge (jonetheredge) | 495 comments Hmmm. I think not. I'm on it.

message 4: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (normalgirl) | 398 comments Low self esteem issues again? You're like a teenage girl. If you got it, flaunt. If you don't, fake it. And you don't need to fake it, hansom. Speaking of which, I need to update my profile pic.

message 5: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 30 comments As a reader, sight unseen, I would interpret "meow" as a hot character or particularly good sexual content, but it doesn't look like you write either romance or erotica. Books containing cats would be my second, more literal, guess.

I wish Goodreads would let us add a description for our individual shelves. There is a description for global shelves, but they often represent completely different interpretations of the shelf name.

message 6: by Jon (last edited Mar 17, 2013 04:47PM) (new)

Jon Etheredge (jonetheredge) | 495 comments Yes, in my first novel, a cat plays a small role. I like cats, I have blogged about cats, and once or twice, my cat (in real life) offered editorial advice of mixed value.

Do you think it's about cats?

message 7: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 30 comments Going by that, it sounds like he is just shelving books about/including cats.

Never thought about doing that myself, but I can think of several books (or series) that would fit that category. In the latest J.D. Robb mystery, the cat stole the best scene in the book. At least, in my opinion.

message 8: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Riddle (jsriddle) | 15 comments Jon, maybe you just need a bowl of milk and a jingle mouse and the meow shelf will suit you :)

Maybe you should asked to be upgraded to Roar!!!

message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon Etheredge (jonetheredge) | 495 comments I confess to a certain quickening of the pulse at the thought of one of those furry little tinkerbell bouncy mice! The milk, however, adds a layer of complexity that I just can't handle right now, not with that MOUSE laying there looking at me, MOCKING me! Run! Run, damn you!

Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 165 comments I think the meow shelf might be referring to catty authors.

message 11: by Jon (new)

Jon Etheredge (jonetheredge) | 495 comments Jon wrote: "I confess to a certain quickening of the pulse at the thought of one of those furry little tinkerbell bouncy mice! The milk, however, adds a layer of complexity that I just can't handle right now,..."

I can't be catty. I am Man, therefore, Pig.