David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Author's Corner > Author - Victoria Zigler

Comments Showing 1-50 of 219 (219 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Hi people!

My name is Victoria Zigler, but you can call me Tori.

I'm a blind indie author who publishes children's books and poetry via Smashwords and Amazon, with my books being distributed to places like Apple, Barnes And Noble, Diesel, Kobo, Sony, and WH Smith.

One of my books - a stand alone children's story called "Frank The Friendly Ogre" - is free via Smashwords and some other retailers (it would be free on Amazon too, if I could figure out how to do that). It's about an ogre named Frank who doesn't fit in because he's so different from the other ogres, so he sets off in to the world to find a place to belong.

I also have another stand alone story published. It's called "Bluebell The Fairy Guide" and tells the story of a fairy's attempts to help a little blind girl find her way out of the woods when she gets lost.

Then there's my "Toby's Tales" series, which is a series of five books that tell the story of a little boy named Toby's attempts to adjust after sight loss. The books are based losely on my own experiences with sight loss, and are designed to help those in Toby's situation to feel they aren't alone, while at the same time being useful tools to educate those close to someone who is either blind already or going through sight loss .

I also have a series called "The Magical Chapters Trilogy" of which two of the three books are published, with the third due to be published this year (hopefully very soon, but I wont give out a publication date in case it has to change for any reason). The series tells the story of a young witch named Paige's attempts to find acceptance for herself and her dragon friend in a world where witches are assumed to be warty old women, and dragons are generally fierce monsters who eat people.

The other books I've published so far are poetry books. "Mr. Pumpkin-Head And Other Poems" and "The Light Of Dawn And Other Poems" are general collections of poems, which include a variety of themes and styles. "My Friends Of Fur And Feather" however, is a collection of poems written for and on behalf of family pets (the pictures on the cover are, in fact, photos of some of my own pets, poems for whom are included in the collection).

Those are all the books I have published for now, though I have several others (including two other poetry books) planned for the not-too-distant future. I'll tell you about them below as they're published.

Links and full details for my books can be found via my website at http://www.zigler.co.uk or my Goodreads profile at http://www.goodreads.com/toriz if you're interested. Also, as already mentioned, they're available from most retailers.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. And, if you take a chance on any of my books, I hope you enjoy them! :)

message 2: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Aww yay!! Your books look amazing :) We have a really well-participated Read to Review program in the group in case you ever want to giveaway some copies of any of your books in exchange for reviews! So good to have another author in the group :)

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Thanks David. :)

I do plan to sign up for "R & R" but haven't gotten to it yet. Had a lot of posts to look through to decide if I had anything to say on them as it was yesterday, LOL! Will come sign up on it soon though.

message 4: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Cool no rush, just wanted to make sure you were aware :) It was nice seeing all your comments yesterday!

message 5: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Thanks. And thanks for making sure I was aware of the program. :)

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments I published the final book in "The Magical Chapters Trilogy" today. It's called "A Magical Storm" and you can buy it from Smashwords at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

It will be available from Amazon, Apple, Barnes And Noble, Diesel, Kobo, Nook, Sony, and WH Smith soon; it's in the process of publication at Amazon as I write this, and will be distributed to the other retailers in the next couple of weeks.

message 7: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Wow! Congrats!!! You're a writing machine!!

message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Thanks David! :)

I have to admit though that part of the reason for my speed at completing books is the length... My Magical Chapters books are the longest (other than the poetry collections) and they're only chapter books. It's easier to complete shorter books in a short time frame than it is to complete longer books in a short time frame.

message 9: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Gotcha :) Still though, editing and publishing and managing cover art is a fair bit of work too, and you have to do that for every book, regardless of length, so you still deserve a lot of credit!

But, of course, I know what you mean too, as my four children's books are only 150 pages each and were much quicker from idea to publishing than my eight YA novels :)

message 10: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments True; thanks David! :)

The cover creation is the hardest part for me since it involves me giving the idea for the details, my cover artist creating it, and my hubby giving me a description of it at each phase so I can say if it works for me or not. Usually it would just be between me and the cover artist, but I need someone to act as my eyes; if I didn't have my hubby I'd need to get someone else involved in his place. The writing I can do in my time, but the cover creation has to be done to suit others as well as me. I don't mind, though the knowledge that if I still had my sight I could do my own covers sometimes makes it a bit frustrating waiting for people (I used to make animated signatures and website banners when I could still see).

message 11: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Wow, now that is a major challenge when you don't have sight. I find it hard enough being able to see each draft if the cover and trying to give detailed feedback. Hats off to you for all you've accomplished, I'm extremely impressed :)

message 12: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments *Blushes* Thanks David! :)

message 13: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments I just published the first book in my "Kero's World" series. Here are the details for anyone interested:

Kero Goes Walkies (Kero's World, #1)

Genre: Children's Books - Pets/Dogs

Description: "If there’s one thing Kero loves more than going for a walk, then it has to be going for a walk that takes him to more than one place. Today his walk will take him both to the park and to the beach. What will he find there? Who will he see? And what will a little dog like him think of it all?"

"The “Kero’s World” stories are all about the adventures of a West Highland White Terrier named Kero; read his stories, and see the world from the point of view of a little white dog."

ISBN: 9781301045556

Buy it from Smashwords: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/...

Available elsewhere soon!

message 14: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Aww congrats, so cute!!

message 15: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments The blub sounds cute!

message 16: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Thanks David and Lolita. :)

message 17: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments To celebrate the 9th birthday of my West Highland White Terrier, who the books are based on, I published "Kero Celebrates His Birthday" yesterday, which is the second book in my "Kero's World" series.

Here's the description:
"It’s Kero’s birthday, and his humans are doing everything they can to make it a special day for him. What will Kero think of all the fuss and attention? And what exactly makes a birthday special for a dog anyway?"

The book is already available via Smashwords in all formats they offer, and is currently in the process of being published on Amazon. It will also become available via other retailers in the near future, such as Apple, Barnes And Noble, Diesel, Kobo, Sony, and WH Smith.

message 18: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Awwww omg so cute!

message 19: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Glad you think so, David. :)

I know the couple of people who've read the first book in the series thought it was really cute. I hope they enjoy book 2 as much!

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments "Kero Gets Sick" (Kero's World, #3) is now available via Smashwords, and will soon be available via Amazon. It will also be available via other retailers such as Apple, Barnes & Noble, Diesel, Kobo, Sony, and WH Smith in the near future.

Book description:
"Kero isn’t feeling well at all, and that means only one thing: a trip to his least favourite place in the world... The vet! What will the vet do to make Kero feel better? And will Kero think it was worth the trip to the vet in the end?"

The “Kero’s World” stories are all about the adventures of a West Highland White Terrier named Kero; read his stories, and see the world from the point of view of a little white dog.

Books in the series:

1. Kero Goes Walkies
2. Kero Celebrates His Birthday
3. Kero Gets Sick
4. Kero Celebrates Halloween
5. Kero Goes To Town
6. Kero Celebrates Christmas

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments My book sales are now nicely in to the triple figures!

I want to take a few moments to thank my loyal readers for this, because without you I wouldn't have sold any books!

OK, so I'm not a hugely successful author who's selling hundereds of copies of every book, but my books are getting noticed, and - judging by reviews I've gotten for them - are enjoyed by those who do read them.

Like I said, I have my readers to thank for that. So... Thank you loyal readers!

message 22: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments To celebrate Fairy Day, I published my book "The Great Tadpole Rescue" today!

It's available via Smashwords in all formats they offer, in the process of being published to Amazon as I write this, and will soon be available via other retailers such as Apple, Barnes & Noble, Blio, Diesel, Kobo, Sony, and WH Smith.

Here's the description:

" Lily is a water fairy, which means it’s her job to make sure everyone who lives on her pond is safe and happy, so when Mrs. Frog’s tadpoles are stolen it’s up to her to rescue them.

Will Lily be able to find the missing tadpoles and get them home safely to Mrs. Frog?"

And the ISBN: 9781301282746

For the benifit of those who want to know how I'm able to publish a book every few weeks:

1. My books aren't very long. Yes, I could make them in to short story collections, but as someone who prefers a stack of short books to a single collection of short stories herself I don't feel it's the right choice for me.

2. Many of the books I'm publishing right now are ones I had at least as rough drafts from the past; ones I swore I'd finish "one day" but didn't get to... Until now!

Victoria Zigler

message 23: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments I just thought about the fact I haven't shared any of the links to interviews I've done and such on here. So, if you're interested...

I participated in an author interview with Dayla F.M. of "Confessions Of A Book Addict" on 2nd November 2012, which you can find at http://bookaddict24-7.tumblr.com/post... if you want to read it.

I participated in an author interview with Stephanie V of "Steph's Book Retreat" on 29th November 2012, which you can read at http://stephsbookretreat.wordpress.co... if you want.

I was interviewed by Emma Jackson, and featured as author of the month, at http://www.esjackson.co.uk during January 2013, which you can check out at http://www.esjackson.co.uk/?page_id=339 if you like.

I was Chris The Story Reading Ape's featured author on 15th April 2013; you can see the post at http://thestoryreadingapeblog.wordpre... if you want. I was also Spotlighted by Chris, and you can see the page he did at http://thestoryreadingapeblog.com/spo... if you want.

My book "Witchlet" (the first book in the "Magical Chapters" trilogy) was spotlighted by Ann Marie of "Indie Author Anonymous" on 24th January 2013. You can check it out at http://indieauthoranonymous.com/2013/... if you like.

message 24: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Want some free books?

"Toby's New World" (the first in the "Toby's Tales" series), "Kero Goes Walkies" (the first in the "Kero's World" series), "Witchlet" (the first in the "Magical Chapters" trilogy) and "Mr. Pumpkin-Head And Other Poems" are free on Smashwords with coupon code SW100 until the end of July!

Simply go to http://www.smashwords.com/profile/vie... (my Smashwords author page) then add the books to your cart, and enter coupon code SW100 in the coupon code box for each book at checkout!

This offer is only available during July, so make the most of the oppertunity while you can!

message 25: by Lola (new)

Lola (lolasreviews) | 563 comments Thanks for mentioning this. I grabbed my copy of Kero Goes Walkies!

message 26: by Victoria (last edited Jul 04, 2013 06:18AM) (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments No problem, Lolita! Thanks for grabbing a copy; hope you enjoy it! :)

message 27: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments An interview with me, and some information on publishing and reading when you're visually impaired: http://libraryoferana.wordpress.com/2...

message 28: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Victoria wrote: "An interview with me, and some information on publishing and reading when you're visually impaired: http://libraryoferana.wordpress.com/2......"

Aww wow, really really nice and informative :)

message 29: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Thanks David! :)

message 30: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments I just published my latest poetry collection. It's called "Waves Of Broken Dreams And Other Poems" and can be found on Smashwords in all formats they offer by going to https://www.smashwords.com/books/view...

Here's the synopsis:

"A collection of poems of various styles and lengths, which are about heartache, loss, pain, and broken dreams."

It's only on Smashwords at the moment, but will be distributed to other retailers as soon as it's approved for premium status.

Don't forget that "Witchlet" (The Magical Chapters Trilogy, #1), "Toby's New World" (Toby's Tales, #1), "Kero Goes Walkies" (Kero's World, #1) and "Mr. Pumpkin-Head And Other Poems" are free on Smashwords with coupon code SW100 until the end of July!

message 31: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments I was interviewed by Steve K. Smy of "Imagineer Books" today (July 27th 2013).

You can find the interview at http://imagineerebooks.wordpress.com/... if you want to read it.

message 32: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Thanks to a new feature Smashwords has, four of my upcoming books are available to view samples of on Smashwords, and - if they aren't already - will soon be available to pre-order on sites such as Barnes & Noble and Apple.

Those books are:

"Asha's Big Adventure" which is due for release on August 12th 2013.

"Snowball The Oddball Kobold" which is due for release on September 2nd 2013.

"The Leaf Monster And Other Children's Poems" which is due for release on September 23rd 2013.

"Kero Celebrates Halloween" (Kero's World, #4) which is due for release on October 31st 2013.

For more details on the books, find them via my Goodreads profile at http://www.goodreads.com/toriz or my Smashwords profile at http://www.smashwords.com/profile/vie...

message 33: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Wow! You have been busy! Well done!

message 34: by Victoria (last edited Aug 05, 2013 11:14PM) (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Thanks David!

Kero's last two books will be finished and ready to set up for pre-release soon too.

I have to admit though, part of the reason I'm so ahead on books I want to publish is due to many of the stories being older ones that just needed some editing and the poems mostly being ones that needed editing and putting together in collections, and part is due to them not being anywhere near as long as your books are. Although, "Asha's Big Adventure" is over 6000 words, which I was quite excited about when I realized it, since I rarely write a story over 5000 words!

I do still have a few other old stories to edit - a Christmas one and three others - but I plan on writing the two stories I have planned about the degus first. After I finish editing Kero's last two books, that is (which should be done this week).

message 35: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments "Kero Goes To Town" (Kero's World, #5) and "Kero Celebrates Christmas" (Kero's World, #6) are now both also pre-released via Smashwords.

"Kero Goes To Town" is scheduled for official release on November 17th 2013, and "Kero Celebrates Christmas" is scheduled for official release on December 3rd 2013.

They are both now available to view samples of on Smashwords - along with my other pre-released books - via my author profile at http://www.smashwords.com/profile/vie... and will soon be available to pre-order via sites such as Barnes & Noble and Apple!

message 36: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments The official release date for "Asha's Big Adventure" is today!

Here's the synopsis for the book:

"This is the story of a little girl who loves exploring, a hungry wolf, three brave little pigs, three nervous goats, a troll with a toothache, and three misunderstood bears.

Based on the author’s own takes on three well-known fairy tales, “Asha’s Big Adventure” tells the story of a little girl named Asha who ignores her parents’ warnings about going exploring in the woods near where they live. Asha soon finds herself getting lost, being chased by a hungry wolf, unable to cross a bridge because of a grumpy troll, and proven guilty of breaking and entering by an angry family of bears."

You can buy it from Smashwords in all formats they offer. It's also available from Barnes & Noble, as well as some other retailers. It will be available via any retailers Smashwords distributes to that it's not currently available via soon!

message 37: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Yesterday (September 2nd 2013) my book "Snowball The Oddball Kobold" was officially released. It's already available to buy from some retailers (such as Smashwords and Barnes & Noble) and will soon be available via others.

Here's the synopsis:

"Snowball is a white kobold; something so rare that the other kobolds in his tribe won’t accept him as a proper kobold. In fact, they delight in making poor Snowball’s life miserable. But Snowball is determined that some day he’ll show them that there’s nothing wrong with being a white kobold.

One day, in Snowball’s tenth Winter, something strange comes to the mountains where Snowball and his tribe live. The kobolds want to know what it is, but with their red-brown colour they’ll be spotted much too easily in the snow. Only Snowball, with his white colouring, has a chance of investigating without being spotted. Could this be Snowball’s chance to prove he’s a useful member of his tribe and finally be accepted as a proper kobold?"

message 38: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments My new poetry collection "The Leaf Monster And Other Children's Poems" is officially released today!

Here's the synopsis:

"A random collection of poems of different lengths and styles, all of which are written with children in mind. Themes include family, animals, and special occasions (among others)."

You can already buy it from Smashwords and Barnes & Noble, and it will soon be available from other retailers.

message 39: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Just a quick post to let you know that you can check out the interview I did on Smashwords on October 13th by going to http://www.smashwords.com/interview/t... if you like.

message 40: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Today is the official release date for the fourth book in my "Kero's World" series. The book is called "Kero Celebrates Halloween" and is already available via Smashwords, Barnes & Noble and Apple. It will be available via other retailers soon!

Here's the synopsis:

"Something strange is going on, and Kero doesn’t know if he’s more confused or frightened. All he knows for sure is that the humans are calling it Halloween. Will Kero be able to make sense of this Halloween thing? Or is it just too scary and confusing for a little dog to understand?"

The “Kero’s World” stories are all about the adventures of a West Highland White Terrier named Kero; read his stories, and see the world from the point of view of a little white dog.

Books in the series:

1. Kero Goes Walkies
3. Kero Gets Sick
5. Kero Goes To Town (due for release November 2013)
6. Kero Celebrates Christmas (due for release December 2013)

message 41: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Today is the official release date for "Kero Goes To Town" which is the 5th book in my "Kero's World" series.

You can already buy it from Smashwords, Barnes & Noble and Apple, and will be able to buy it from other retailers soon!

message 42: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Today is the official release date of "Kero Celebrates Christmas" which is the sixth and final book in my Kero's World series.

You can already get it from Smashwords, Barnes & Noble and Apple, and should be able to get it from other retailers (such as Koboo and WH Smith) very soon!

Here's the synopsis:

"Christmas is here, and with it comes snow and Santa Paws – whoever he is. What will Kero think of the snow? Will he be able to make sense of all the holiday activity? And will he be able to stay up long enough to catch this mysterious Santa Paws?"

Books in the series:

1. Kero Goes Walkies
3. Kero Gets Sick
5. Kero Goes To Town
6. Kero Celebrates Christmas

message 43: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Yesterday was the official release date for the first of the two books in my "Degu Days" duo.

Here's the synopsis:

"Jenks the degu lives in a cage with his three brothers: Jacob, Jasper and Joshua. It might seem like a strange place to live, but they call it home and feel safe there. So you can imagine how scary it is for them when they are forced to leave their cage.

Sure, they regularly leave it briefly for a bit of attention from their human caretakers, which they don’t mind, but the thing the human caretakers are calling “The Great Degu Round-Up” is different, and they find themselves in a giant sandless sand bath with no way to even look out at the world. They’re confused and frightened and wondering if they’ll ever see their cage again.

Will they find a way to escape the giant sandless sand bath? Will they get back to the cage they call home? Will they figure out why the round-up even happened?"

“The Degu Days Duo” is a short series of just two books telling the story of two different days in the lives of Jacob, Jasper, Jenks and Joshua – four degu brothers who live in a cage together. The stories are told from the point of view of one of the degus, so read on and see the world from the point of view of a small and furry rodent!

Books in the series:

1. The Great Degu Round-Up
2. A Very Degu Christmas (available February 2014).

message 44: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments "A Very Degu Christmas" (The Degu Days Duo, #2) was officially released today!

Synopsis:
"It’s Christmas, and the human caretakers have told the degus that Santa Paws is coming to visit. They have no idea who he is, but since the human caretakers say he’s bringing nibbles for them, and degus love nibbles, they’re excited about it; though the news that he plans to come when they’re sleeping seems strange to them.

Will Santa Paws really be coming? If so, what sorts of nibbles will he bring? More to the point, can the degus stay awake long enough to make sure they don’t miss his visit? And, if not, will they still get nibbles?"

“The Degu Days Duo” is a short series of just two books telling the story of two different days in the lives of Jacob, Jasper, Jenks and Joshua – four degu brothers who live in a cage together. The stories are told from the point of view of one of the degus, so read on and see the world from the point of view of a small and furry rodent!

Books in the series:

1. The Great Degu Round-Up
2. A Very Degu Christmas

message 45: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments All this week, as part of Smashwords read an ebook week 2014, my books are on offer; some are even free! Find them via the link about the promotion on the Smashwords homepage, or via my Smashwords author page at http://www.smashwords.com/profile/vie...

message 46: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 149 comments Hi Victoria. Just wanted to let you know that I've purchased Witchlet. Now I just need to find time to read it :~)

message 47: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Awesome! Thanks, David! :)

message 48: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday, but... Yesterday (March 10th 2014) was the official release date for "Goodies For Grandmother" (my latest book).

Here's the synopsis:

"Brownies share the woods with the fairies, but – unlike the fairies – the brownies are very naughty. They love playing tricks, love stealing anything travellers happen to be carrying through the woods, and love getting people lost. So when one of them spots Ella carrying a basket of goodies, he just can’t resist trying to steal them from her. But Ella isn’t going to let him near it. Bob the brownie quickly figures out that he’ll have to come up with a sneakier plan to get his little hands on that basket of goodies.

Based on the well-known story of ‘Little Red Riding Hood’ but with no big bad wolf to eat Grandmother, nor woodcutter to save her, ‘Goodies For Grandmother’ tells the story of a little girl in purple, a sick Grandmother, a naughty little brownie, and a clever little fairy."

It's available via Smashwords and some other ebook retailers already, and will be available via a few others soon.

message 49: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments I'm Rita Lee Chapman's author of the week on http://www.ritaleechapman.com this week. Check out my interview with Rita Lee Chapman at http://ritaleechapman.com/#/guest-aut...

message 50: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments I did a guest post on Indie Writers Review about how I became published and what advice I'd give others. You can check it out at http://indiewritersreview.wordpress.c... if you want to read it.

« previous 1 3 4 5