Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Adding New Books > Asin is taken

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AusomeAutist (last edited Mar 17, 2013 12:59PM) (new)

AusomeAutist (mummyofseven) | 213 comments I apologise if this has been posted before, but I'm fairly new.

I am able to add new books (or new editions), upload covers, etc., but there are a lot of things that I don't have authorisation for.

I am very visual and find it much easier to find my books by the covers, as I'm sure a lot of people do. I am finding that, even though I can add a new edition and upload the cover, people have added the wrong ISBN or ASIN.

For example, I looked for '27 Easy Brownies Recipes' and found only a paperback copy listed (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...). When adding the Kindle edition and adding the ASIN, I found that it had already been added to the paperback copy instead of the ISBN, so I got an error message.

What do I do in these matters? Do I just leave the ASIN out, or do I need to report it to someone each time I find an error?

Sorry for being so long-winded :-/

Zee.

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments It's best to report it, if you don't mind. I know it's annoying but it keeps the catalog neat!

In this case, I can see that the record was created with the Kindle's ASIN and several of the reviewers are clearly reviewing the Kindle edition while none have specifically mentioned that they have reviewed the paperback edition. Therefore, I'm updating this edition to be the Kindle edition.

Do you have a cover for this edition?

message 3: by AusomeAutist (new)

AusomeAutist (mummyofseven) | 213 comments Thank you, Cait.
I do, it's an edited screenshot. I read through the forums and saw that this was ok as it's basically the same as scanning a book cover. Am I able to upload it on the book page?

message 4: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments That would be great. You can't upload it directly, but if you put it in your photos section of your user account and point us to the image, a librarian can transfer it to the book record.

message 5: by AusomeAutist (new)

AusomeAutist (mummyofseven) | 213 comments Done! I didn't even know I could do that *facepalm*.

http://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/1...

Could you please let me know if it's accessible? I have no idea what some of my privacy settings are. Thanks.

Zee <--Newbie :-)

message 6: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Got it! You can remove the image from your photos now, if you want.

This is a trick we use a lot as librarians, but I hardly ever use it otherwise. Neat, though, eh? :)

message 7: by AusomeAutist (last edited Mar 17, 2013 01:59PM) (new)

AusomeAutist (mummyofseven) | 213 comments Brilliant! Thank you.

Is there an existing thread that you could link me to for similar problems; conflicting ASIN/ISBN and/or covers required?

message 8: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Actually, it's better to start a new thread specific to each book with the problem (and to put the title of the book in the subject line). That way it's easy to see at a glance what needs work.

message 9: by AusomeAutist (new)

AusomeAutist (mummyofseven) | 213 comments Ok, will do. Thanks for all your help.

-Zee.