Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > A question about ISBN-10's - ending in X?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 335 comments I recently got a copy of The Thief Lord which has a 10 digit ISBN of 043942089x.

While I can find the book using the ISBN-13, the 10 digit search gives me an empty list. When I reviewed the thread about the improvements in the search facility that are currently being worked on, it sounds like ISBN's ending in x are considered "fakes"

Can someone explain a bit about how these things work or point me to a link that does?

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5033 comments 043942089x isn't seen as an ISBN, but 043942089X is. The lower case and upper case register as separate characters :)

message 3: by Kara (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 30 comments I'm a little confused. It's a check digit. It should not be considered a fake.

message 4: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 335 comments Emy wrote: "043942089x isn't seen as an ISBN, but 043942089X is. The lower case and upper case register as separate characters :)"

Yes, ok. But should they? Particularly in a search where internet users are accustomed to pretty much everything being case-insensitive?

message 5: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5033 comments Stephen wrote: "Yes, ok. But should they? Particularly in a search where internet users are accustomed to pretty much everything being case-insensitive? "

Case sensitivity is something you would need to take to the Feedback forums, it's not something that GR Librarians can help with. Sorry :)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) It's a bug reported in the feedback forum already. Fairly recent problem that cropped up.

They are actually working on the search feature for more than just that bug.

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (havan) | 335 comments Kara wrote: "I'm a little confused. It's a check digit. It should not be considered a fake."

This is the answer I was originally looking for. I'm familiar with the old mod-10 and mod-11 check digit generation algorithms but while I suspected X was a check digit of sorts, I'm unfamiliar with how one would be generated.

I've posted in the thread dealing with the new search changes now that I'm understanding ISBN's a bit better.
Thanx

message 8: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5033 comments Ah, yes, the last digit is always a check digit. Given that this is an issue that pops up in other contexts frequently, I suspect that ISBN checks only accept 0-9 and X as check digits, and that there is an added extra in the background that makes x and X recognisable. AFAIK isbn.org often fails searches on lowercase too.