Nevermore (Maximum Ride, #8) Nevermore discussion

End of Nevermore--What. The. Hell.

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

versa Not trying to be a hater, here. But James Patterson, I love you and all, but really?

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 18, 2013 07:29PM) (new)

He should have ended it at Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports. Much better ending and satisfying conclusion.

The final 5 books were a miserable drag through the mud.
I suppose I should've listened when I was recommended not to read them...

Marianne indeed, the last few books were a really weak effort, like Patterson phoned in the plot to a co-writer and didn't bother the check the result

Cassidy I think he was under so much pressure to end the series epically, so he thought that what he wrote was adrenaline rushing, but it really sucked.

Kyle Yeah, I really liked the series, but I think I really liked the last books just because I fell in love with the characters, not because the stories were that great. I think he may have fallen in love with writing them and had a hard time ending the series at only three. Just a speculation though

Kenna can you believe he killed the rest of the world off? And what about the people in the caves? What the heck was the ending about!?!

Maddy Absolutley hated the ending but the only part i liked was (view spoiler)

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 18, 2013 04:46PM) (new)

Kenna wrote: "can you believe he killed the rest of the world off? And what about the people in the caves? What the heck was the ending about!?!"

I don't mind a fictional Apocalypse......the only problem is that there are almost never any remotely decent stories about it. When an author pulls it off, then that's great -- at least the ending isn't cliché or unrealistically utopian. But when its unoriginal or pathetic or sounds reminiscent of a sermon, then the author just dug his/her book's grave.

I don't mind characters being sacrificed, slaughtered, injured, etc. nor the kill count, as long as it's accurate and reasonable. Excessive bloodbath/destruction of minor characters with little/no damage to the core protagonists, purely for "shock effect" (which seems to be Patterson's aim in destroying the MaxRide world) rather than necessity of the setting/circumstances in order to project realism (such as in a war novel), are pathetic and characteristic of either poor writing ability or a lack of effort. If you're going to massacre so many of the periphery, then the situation must be highly dangerous, which would logically result in death/injury to the central characters as well.

I do think that some degree of tragedy, terror, pain, trauma, and/or loss is vital to a good [non-comedy/parody] plot and well-developed dynamic characters, as those inspire/progress the conflict, but it should not be over- or under-played/dramatized. I feel that the MaxRide series was unconvincing, didn't hit any emotional chords, the characters were mostly static, and the main characters weren't in tune with realistic responses to issues -- which was just fine in the beginning, when it remained purely in the comedy-action genre, but grew inappropriate when it later attempted to take on a more serious and dramatic tone in the final 5 novels.

Sanjay Roy Nevermore and Mockingjay were the two worst endings to two good book series/trilogies ever.

JamieNichole003 End of Nevermore--What. The. Hell.
took the words right out of my mouth. I loved the first couple books in the series but the ending books, Though "aderline rushing" werent that amazing and my me so very angry with the whole end of the series. I mean, the last book of the series and that was the best you could up with?!?!

Leilani ikr????!!!!!
i really loved the first 5 books but it went downhill for me after that.

Leilani Sanjay Roy wrote: "Nevermore and Mockingjay were the two worst endings to two good book series/trilogies ever."

gods, they couldn't end those any worse

Kelsey I'm with you guys all the way. Patterson took a story about hardship, loss, evil, and rebellion against injustice, and turned it into another Twilight. OMG! Which boy will she pick???? With a little splash of "Max did not save the f**king world". I mean really? I kinda thought that was the point of the whole story. Nope. Which bird boy is getting a slice of Max pie? The end.

Chariven  I loved this series. But that last book?!?! Nuh uh. That last book was TERRIBLE!!!!
There are too many plot holes in it. Many things were missing and left me thinking, "WHAT??!!"
The behaviour of the characters were weird. I mean: Dylan deciding to wreck cars or whatever just cause he saw Max and Fang together?? or what about Max suddenly choosing Fang when he arrives when she declared she loved Dylan??? Also, the relationship between Iggy and Max's half sister? Or why Fang disbanded his flock just like that?
The ending to was BAD. Made no sense at all. What happened to the rest of the flock??? What happened to the world?

Come on. It can end better can't it?

message 15: by G (new) - rated it 4 stars

G The ending was...wow, mind blowing. You would have never expected anything like what it was. Max and the Flock always ended up saving the world in the end, so when they were told that it was no use...and that they should just sit back and watch humanity die out was a little...strange to me. When Max was talking about taking care of the world when she thought she was dead...I was confused more than anything.
WHY THE HECK DID DYLAN HAVE TO FREAKING LIVE? I'M SORRY FOR ALL YOU TEAM DYLAN PEOPLE, BUT I WILL ALWAYS BE TEAM FANG AND IT JUST PISSED ME OFF THAT THAT GODDAMN BASTARD GOT TO LIVE. It was satisfying when Fax was a canon again and Dylan just swooped in a Fax whooped his ass with their snarkiness. *enter applause here*
But when you knew for sure that Max, Fang, Dylan, and Angel were alive, we can never be certain that the rest of the Flock, plus Max's mom and sister are okay. J Pat could have secretly implied that only those four survived.
My life is now ruined.

message 16: by Chloe (last edited Mar 31, 2013 01:58AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Chloe The ending was basically the world gets destroyed but of course Max, Fang, her crew, and her other crew of mutants survive. And their "paradise island" somehow turns into the "perfect' place for flying and breathing underwater mutants. Lame, maybe?

And the love triangle between Dyland and Fang and Max. I have three words for you: WHAT THE FUCK.

Also, Fang. God. I hate him now. Can't believe he ditched his gang. Not Max's crew but like the OTHER gang that Fang made. He just dumped them, DUMPED them and ran off to Max, because a VOICE in his freaking MIND told him to. Every heard of don't listen to strangers? Oh, I cannot believe he had the NERVE to go back to Max after he almost kissed Maya. Freaking unbelievable!

Oh, and I kinda thought there was other characters beside Max, Fang, and Dylan. What happened to Iggy? Or Gazzy? Or even Nudge? Seriously?

And the plot! What is with it?! Remember the book when the antagonist, you know, the walking machine one, got killed by a freak hurricane. Surprise, surprise. HOW lame can you get?

This ending seriously ruined, RUINED my fantasy of good endings. Worst ending ever.

ps. Oh, and I'm hoping you're catching the sarcasm, which is just overflowing over now.

Kelsey Agreed. Also, my main creed with this book is that it basically justified everything the evil scientists did to the mutant kids. You spend the whole series trying to destroy the mad scientists because of the monstrosities they committed to these innocent victims. However, when the world was destroyed Max was like "well thank god we were stolen from our parents and put through horrible torture so that we could have the assets to survive in this new world. We have wings and gills and special powers. Thank you jeb and your crew of maniacs. I guess out really did have our best interest at heart."

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

okay so when i read this book i stayed up all night trying to finish it and by the end i was balling, yes i was crying why because one Dylan lived to see another day, two Fang is just a total jerk! three MAX DID NOT SAVE THE WORLD! four it's turning into Twilight!! pick which bird boy you want Max! and five they still didn't get any justice!!
what's going on!!!!!!!!!!
just ruined my life XP

Avani Ah, yes...Nevermore...

Maddy A total disappointment

Elvira Miranda I loved the book but i think what made the books ending so nerve wrecking was the fact that its over. The ending totally made me want one more book.

message 22: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva Rahman God, I love the books and all but the ending was so cheesy with all the "im reborn!" stuff.
Dylan is annoying, just saying.

Estefany Medina Kyle wrote: "Yeah, I really liked the series, but I think I really liked the last books just because I fell in love with the characters, not because the stories were that great. I think he may have fallen in l..."

i love the series and i am still really sad that it's over ........now i want to cry.

Estefany Medina Eva wrote: "God, I love the books and all but the ending was so cheesy with all the "im reborn!" stuff.
Dylan is annoying, just saying."

he is anoying Max deserves FANG!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 25: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah Hussain WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO GAZZY, NUDGE, AND IGGY? I DONT EVEN FUCKING UNDERSTAND

Estefany Medina they should make another book and actually finish the book and say what happens to everybody.

message 27: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Oliveira Sanjay Roy wrote: "Nevermore and Mockingjay were the two worst endings to two good book series/trilogies ever."

agreed please lets be friends bro lol

message 28: by Snowballina (last edited May 15, 2013 03:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Snowballina thanks for not saving the world so called "butt kicker" max

Elise Max didnt even save the freaking world!!! that end was so anti-climatic, i seriously almost threw the book across the room!! :(

Kelly Sarah wrote: "WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO GAZZY, NUDGE, AND IGGY? I DONT EVEN FUCKING UNDERSTAND"
Yeah I think they died, Patterson did not wrap the whole book up, left me with questions too.

Jessica Thompson That book really broke me, and my appreciation for James Patterson for that matter. I had planned on reading some of his other stuff, but after looking at the effort he put into this load of crap called "Nevermore" I don't think I can do it. This series was my life when it first came out, and I loved the characters, but I agree that after book 3, the plot was just got really stupid. All that build up about Jeb and the scientists, and the mess going on underground. I wanted some real revelations about Angel too. Never got em. Never understood why she was so important, even after the "big reveal" at the end of this book.
Case in Point: I have never been this disappointed in a book series in all my life, and so invested in it at the same time. I've quit others cuz the plot started to suck, but I just kept hanging on to this one. I got nothing to show for my support of the epic character that WAS Maximum Ride.

Jessica Thompson Let me do you guys a huge favor and suggest another series with super powered kids. GONE by Michael Grant. Whole series= ABSOLUTE AWESOMENESS. And the plot for this compared to MR series...there is no comparison.

Ethan Snowballina wrote: "thanks for not saving the world so called "butt kicker" max"

I agree. The Max in the last 5 books was too mushy/ romantic.

message 34: by Kaelyn (new) - added it

Kaelyn I really was confused. What happen? I mean were they died or something because they didn't quiet say what happen to them?