Blogger Lift discussion

Help: Blogging 101 > BEA (BookExpo America) - Anyone been?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 17, 2013 11:48AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 19 comments Has anyone been to BEA? I may be going and have no clue how it works. By signing up do you automatically get books or do you have to buy them? Are the breakfasts worth going to? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

For those who don't know, BEA is one of the biggest book industry conventions in the USA. It's been held the past few years in New York and there will be a lot of authors, publishers, bloggers, etc there. There is also a Book Bloggers convention going on the first day of BEA. For more information about BEA go to:
http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/Show-I...

Also, for those who can't attend, there is an Armchair BEA blog:
http://www.armchairbea.com/

message 2: by Liz (new)

Liz Donatelli (lizdonatelli) Hi Lisarenee,

I attended BEA last year and the Blogger Convention. There are LOTS of free books given out at both. I highly recommend attending. As a blogger and book lover, you'll love the experience. I was supposed to have attended the Blogger Convention breakfast, but ended up missing it. From what I understand, the breakfast was held in a conference room filled with tables. As bloggers ate, an author would sit with them and chat for a short while. Then, the authors would rotate. Like speed dating;)

message 3: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 26, 2013 01:14PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 19 comments Liz wrote: "Hi Lisarenee,

I attended BEA last year and the Blogger Convention. There are LOTS of free books given out at both. I highly recommend attending. As a blogger and book lover, you'll love the expe..."

Thanks. I think for either a mother's day gift and/or a B-day gift my hubby letting me go. I didn't even ask I just started talking about how it sounded like the ultimate book lover's convention and he said I should go. Any idea about hotels? I looked on the BEA website and they seemed to have some discounts at hotels, but I'm not sure if Times Square or somewhere else is the better choice to stay. Should I bring a back pack and huge suitcase to got home with? How many books did you end up with? I saw they have author breakfasts with 3 different levels of tickets. Do you know if it was one of those or something else? This will probably be the only year I'll be able to attend and I don't want to miss a thing.

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz Donatelli (lizdonatelli) That would be an awesome Mother's Day/Birthday combo gift!
I didn't stay in a hotel because I stayed with family. (I'm originally from NYC.) I suggest staying at one of the hotels that are on BEA's shuttle line (those are probably the ones mentioned on their website). Staying at a hotel that's not on the shuttle's itinerary would mean that you'd need to take a few trains AND walk several blocks to Jacob Javits. Javits isn't super close to any subway line.
An extra suitcase is advisable. I recommend not using BEA's shipping services. (They'll ship boxes of books home for you.) Those services are ridiculously expensive. Either bring an extra suitcase OR mail the books yourselves via media mail at one of the nearby post offices. I came home with, I think, 30-40 books.

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 19 comments Liz wrote: "That would be an awesome Mother's Day/Birthday combo gift!
I didn't stay in a hotel because I stayed with family. (I'm originally from NYC.) I suggest staying at one of the hotels that are on BEA'..."

Wow. That is a lot of books. I'll have to check if they charge more for an extra suitcase or not.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz Donatelli (lizdonatelli) There were attendees who multiple suitcases filled with books. It's insanity! :)
It might be cheaper to send the book media mail than to pay to check in a suitcase.
BEA has got to find a way to allow people to upload free books to their e-readers.