Ladies who love Laurell discussion

It's Official!!!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 71 comments Check out LKH's Blog today :)

http://blog.laurellkhamilton.org/

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) hot dam, that is soooo awesome!!! go look out on you-tube, there are lots of interesting ideas of people who could play different parts. Cullen my.... eye! Give me a JC or Asher!

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (ramaloke) | 25 comments This kind of thing always worries me, I just hope they do it justice.

message 4: by Starr (new)

Starr | 59 comments You know I wouldn't mind seeing Selma Hayek as Anita. I don't want it to be some ultra skinny, overly pale, buffy-wannabe. Anita is none of those things. There were some pretty decent suggestions from those YouTube videos. It's interesting to see who people choose. And of course, I haven't seen a good JC yet!

message 5: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Someone suggested Vanessa Marcil who could be interesting. I know she can play well with a bitchy attitude while still remaining likable. Hayek I do not see, much as I like her (so cute in Dogma). Anita is VERY American, regardless of the dark hair and dark eyes, and Hayek, for all her fabulousness, would not be able to bring across that hyper American demeanor.
And more than anything, I hope the cast can properly convey the character personalities. For example, some people railed against the casting for True Blood, but for many of the characters, the ATTITUDES are perfect. Bill's propriety and distance, Eric's haughty arrogance and amusement, and Pam's devilish aspect, as well as loud and ignorant Arlene. They got the attitudes right, so I'm not displeased.

But using TB as an example, please dear lord don't let them take random liberties with Anita Blake's storyline!

message 6: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
I know that rose mcgowan would make a good merry but thats all I got now and thats not even anita. sigh I don't know. I though stewart townsend made a really pretty vampire but I don't know about Jean Claude. for me even though I love Anita who plays Jean Claude is the most important to me. What with him being my imaginary husband.

message 7: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Hate to tell you Stacy, but he's two-timing you...with me!

message 8: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Actually, I take that back. I completely desire Asher. So I guess our husbands are two-timing both of us with each other!

message 9: by Starr (new)

Starr | 59 comments No, no, not stuart townsend! He's hot, but he's too baby faced for JC. Yeah, and I can see what points made against Selma Hayek, too. I really don't know who will play either of them. I do love Anna Paquin as Sookie, though, and she didn't immediately come to mind when I thought of the cast. Maybe there is hope. Lord, knows, though, they managed to screw the pooch on Twilight. My lovable teenage romance was turned into some Paris Hilton styled nigthmare. I saw them on People together and that's just what they reminded me of -- the worst of young hollywood. Ok, done ranting!

message 10: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) I also would prefer they not choose someone who's played a vamp before. Muddies the waters and could taint the acting. Townsend IS the one from Queen of the Damned, right?

message 11: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) I've looked at a few of the casting picks users have posted on You Tube. First of all, we're not going to get an all-star cast...and that's just as well. But I find it funny that several of them list Charleze(?) Theron as Cherry. And looking at the pics, I can see why. Fits my image!

One of them suggested Ziva from NCIS. She plays an Israeli on the show, and is a little too olive skinned, but I thought it was kinda interesting and definitely unexpected. She certainly has played the cold blooded killer before!

And so many people have chosen models for the men. They are pretty. Very pretty. But can they act!

It's so hard to think of good matches for these characters from the current crop of actors, especially since it's a tv movie, not big screen.

message 12: by Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (last edited Apr 05, 2009 10:33PM) (new)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Uggh Vanessa Marcil could not pull off Anita. I'm going with Kelly Monaco or Ellen Page. I really think Kelly could pull Anita off. As for JC I dont know who could play him but they better Extraordinary

message 13: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) I'll go for Kelly looks-wise. I don't recall her acting though.

Ellen Page strikes me as both too cute and too young. I couldn't see her pulling off the harsh attitude, but then I haven't seen much of her work.

message 14: by Anna (last edited Apr 06, 2009 06:12AM) (new)

Anna (stregamari) When it comes to acting, it is hard to imagine any of those hot young men doing it well. (it being acting, of course :) ) Looks can be made up or air-brushed, talent is hard to fake. Can't wait to see who would play Micah, he's my all time hottie fave, *sigh*. maybe I'd be allowed to help with the casting... you know, try 'em out first I wish! And yeah, for Jean-Claude, super hot and extraordinary is a must. Has anyone seen Don Henrie? He's a "Vamp" in Las Vegas, I think, was on the tyra banks show. Hot, in a very scary metro way, but maybe too much of an ego to work well with others. Look out on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/donhenrie for pics and info. He is tall, with black hair and blue eyes.

message 15: by Jessica (last edited Apr 06, 2009 07:30AM) (new)

Jessica (cangelm1) | 6 comments Yes Michelle M. Stuart Townsend IS the one from Queen of the Damned. And even in that he wasn't all that great. He was decent, but definitely not great. (And Kelly Monaco plays Sam on the soap opera General Hospital. She was on season season 1 of Dancing with the Stars. And she was also on the other soap opera Port Charles.)

And I love the idea of Vanessa Marcil. The more I think of it the more I can see her doing all of the intricasies (spelling is wrong) of Anita. Definitely not Selma Hayek. And as for Kelly, I've watched her for years along with Vanessa and I must say Vanessa has more skills to back Anita, and she definitely fits the looks category better. I haven't watched any of the videos of possible characters as you're talking about something that just got the green light, which means it could still be a while, but it'll be quite interesting to see what happens.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I guess that's where we diagree because Kelly looks more Anita-ish too me than Marcil and Kelly already playing the bad ass role on GH where she has to tote guns and kick ass. I just think she'd need to touch up a little more and she'd be a great Anita. To me sid by side Kelly wins over Marcil.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Ok everyone talking about JC but who would play Edward.

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) Edward Norton

message 19: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
That don henrie guy was on mad mad house. I really liked that show. I didn't realize until I looked at his pics that he was so prettiesh beneath the cloak.

message 20: by Shundra (new)

Shundra | 4 comments Michelle M. wrote: "Someone suggested Vanessa Marcil who could be interesting. I know she can play well with a bitchy attitude while still remaining likable. Hayek I do not see, much as I like her (so cute in Dogma). ..."

Starr wrote: "You know I wouldn't mind seeing Selma Hayek as Anita. I don't want it to be some ultra skinny, overly pale, buffy-wannabe. Anita is none of those things. There were some pretty decent suggestions f..."

Michelle. I agree with you and disagree. with the stackhouse series the body discreptions are not very detailed. but attitudes are a big part of the characters descriptions. with the anita blake series Hamilton gives the characters not just personality but identites also. she decribes them down to eye lashes and birth marks. they cannot just cast anybody for the show. I love Jason so I hate for them to mess that one up... And when they get to Natheniel and Micah I mean whoa.

message 21: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Oh, Shundra, I agree that looks are very important in bringing the characters to life, and you're right that LKH is very descriptive when it comes to every single person in Anita's world.

But the way I look at it, a person's hair can be dyed, extensions can be added, they can wear contacts, they can work out for the role and become more muscular...they can be made to look the part. But being able to act the part? That you can't fake.

Sookie isn't buxom and tanned enough, Pam is missing the Alice in Wonderland quality, but they're both close facsimiles. Any discrepancies after that can be covered by the fact that many (not all) of the characters' personalities are reasonably well-played.

Think about it. You can take a man with rich dark hair and pale skin and blue eyes and say yes! Jean Claude! But if he's not graceful, with a sultry voice, and an attitude that demands attention...what use will he be? He's pretty, but as interesting as a cardboard cut out. I'd rather get a guy who has JC down PAT, and meets the height, etc., then gussy him up. After all, with makeup and special effects, you can make a person look however you like.

This all stems from my agitation with bad acting. I watched a few episodes of Blood Ties a few nights ago. I haven't read the books, but good LORD the acting was atrocious. Forced and halting and just painful to watch.

message 22: by Shundra (last edited Apr 06, 2009 08:54PM) (new)

Shundra | 4 comments The acting skills is a must I totally agree with you on that. The main thing that threw me off with Pam is that she was suppose to have turned when she was like 19... The pam in true blood look like 40. But anyway I see your point.

Also I want to say...There is no comparison between the Stackhouse series and the Anita Blake series...I have a friend who reads the Stackhouse series and so we switched off books...He's hooked on the Anita blake now. he said to me that you can actually see the people from Hamilton's writing its like the characters have a soul....I truely agree

message 23: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Yeah, she's superb at creating a portrait of these people in the mind's eye. Guess that's why it's so hard to truly think of actors who fit perfectly!

message 24: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) It is hard to imagine anyone fitting my imagination for these folks...here's my shot at it.

I like Jessica Alba for Anita, but she may have moved on from being willing to do a tv series like this. My second choice for Anita would be Summer Glau, who is the terminator and on Serenity.

I dont know about all the roles but Edward I would like Adam Baldwin (Jayne) from serenity or the agent in Chuck.

More later.

Lily

message 25: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
I really like Jessica Alba that might work for anita but you are right I don't think she would do something like this. Especially something that is on a whocares cable channel. Yep I have deffinetly decided I don't really like the cable channel it will be on. I really had my hopes set on hbo or showtime or something. Sigh oh well.

message 26: by Romeesa (new)

Romeesa This is my first time posting here, I lurk a lot tho lol... I think that Michelle Rodriguez would be perfect for Anita, for some reason that's kind of who i picture while reading lol.

message 27: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) I think I know who she is and you are right.

Is she in resident evil?

message 28: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
I agree, I think that michelle rodriguez would be good. I think she might be a little dark for anita but that can be easily taken care of. It would be hard to find a pale girl with latin features like how anita is described as, but Michelle's features seem perfect I think with a little lightening or even if they didn't want to do the ligthening she could work. she seems petite enough.

message 29: by Erin (new)

Erin (morrigan1204) | 4 comments Stacy wrote: "I know that rose mcgowan would make a good merry but thats all I got now and thats not even anita. sigh I don't know. I though stewart townsend made a really pretty vampire but I don't know about J..."

I'm new to this group. Is a movie going to be made out of the Anita Blake series?

message 30: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) IFC is going to do a tv movie. I think it's slated for 2010?

message 31: by Sidhe (new)

Sidhe Prankster (sidheprankster) | 14 comments Firstly... WOW! This is AWESOME!
(ahem.. excuse me... I was overcome with mirth...)
Secondly, after seeing her performance in Changeling look and performance in Gia I have to say that I think Angelina Jolie would make an excellent Anita. (You can find photos of her in Gia at http://www.hot.ee/devilishangel/gia.html and see video on YouTube.)

And to think, I once thought she couldn't act very well!

message 32: by Acg2003 (new)

Acg2003 | 24 comments Jolie is good, but she's far too old to play Anita (Gia was years ago)...at least in my opinion, plus she really doesn't look or have any latina features. I agree with others that have mentioned Jessica Alba or Michelle Rodriguez as Anita.

A lot of us have a tendency to picture in our minds how a person looks in certain roles, but it's roles that are from a long time ago. Example...Selma Heyek was mentioned earlier and while if this movie was made 15 years ago, I would have said "YES", but she is looking pretty old now.

I have no idea who would play any of the guys.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Salaiz (jennifersalaiz) Hello everyone! I'm new here and thought I'd drop in. I think Michelle Rodriguez would be a great Anita Blake. As for JC or any other of the men I have no idea. It has to be someone good though. The acting is very important.I really hope they focus more on that then the actual looks. Like someone said earlier, makeup can do wonders.

message 34: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Salaiz (jennifersalaiz) I was doing some research and I came across the movie Constatine. I think Rachel Weisz would make a great Anita Blake. That's just my opinion though, she's probably too old to play the part, but that's almost like how I pictured Anita to look.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 129 comments although I don't really care for Jessica Alba i could see her being Anita either her or the girl who used to be the other slayer on buffy.. Faith... I just can't remember her real name

message 36: by Acg2003 (new)

Acg2003 | 24 comments Faith, who is also the chick who plays in the Fox show Doll House is named Eliza Dushku (spell?).

She would be in the rught age group and I could see her as Anita.

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 129 comments thats her name !
thanks Acg2003

message 38: by Elvia (new)

Elvia (elvb) Eliza Dushku would be great as Anita. I think it depends on what "side" of Anita you're thinking of on who would be best for the part. Eliza would be a great pick for both "sides" of Anita's life - The kick-a$$ and the sexual.

message 39: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 129 comments ok so where do send our votes hehehehe

message 40: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) Hey there, new to this group and I must have been living under a rock to have JUST found out about the Anita movie!! Holy Smokes, that's AWESOME!!! Very excited, I LOVE this series! I'm only through book 7 so far, but love it!!!! And I think Eliza Dushku would make an awesome Anita!!!!

message 41: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 148 comments same here! she would be great!!!

message 42: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) I do think Taylor Kitsch would be great for Micah. Still have no idea who could be good enough for Jean-Claude or Asher... hmmm Has anyone seen the "vampire" Don Henrie? he's got a myspace page, and is really kind of hot. in a black-haired, blue-eyed vamp kind of way

message 43: by Kyle (new)

Kyle Borland (kgborland) I think its going to be a bunch of unknowns :P

message 44: by The Flooze (new)

The Flooze (the_flooze) Probably best that way. They can find people properly suited rather than adapting the characters to fit the actors.

message 45: by Kelley (new)

Kelley | 62 comments That would be the only way I would be able to watch.

message 46: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 191 comments Mod
I think Don Henrie would make a good bad vampire in the movie. I don't think he is Jean Claude or Asher though. Maybe damien with a wig on.

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) Starr wrote: "No, no, not stuart townsend! He's hot, but he's too baby faced for JC. Yeah, and I can see what points made against Selma Hayek, too. I really don't know who will play either of them. I do love Ann..."

yeah, that was pretty badly cast. but ya gotta admit, kristen whatever blinks her eyes confusingly, very effective. who needs to act? just look confused. or is that constipated?

message 48: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Kyle wrote: "I think its going to be a bunch of unknowns :P"

I agree. Yet it is fun to speculate.

message 49: by Sidhe (new)

Sidhe Prankster (sidheprankster) | 14 comments Anna wrote: "...no idea who could be good enough for Jean-Claude or Asher... hmmm Has anyone seen the "vampire" Don Henrie?"

I agree he should play one of the vampires... He might make a good Jean Claude- I don't know. I think it would all come down to how well he played the part. The again, who could be better to play a vampire than a vampire? (Insert maniacal giggle here.)

message 50: by Sidhe (new)

Sidhe Prankster (sidheprankster) | 14 comments It makes me sad that this will only be aired on the Independent Film Channel... I'll have to wait until it comes out on DVD. :(

« previous 1 3