What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Cadet of Tildor
This topic is about The Cadet of Tildor
SOLVED: Children's/YA > Fantasy Book About a Girl training to be a knight? [s]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elise (last edited Mar 17, 2013 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elise | 7 comments I read this book a few years ago and want to reread it or see if there's a sequel...from what I remember, its about this girl who's training to be a knight or in the King's guard or something. And there's this guy who gets called off duty to teach all the trainee people and they eventually get together. And she has the friend who secretly has magic but doesn't tell anybody because he doesn't want to register. And the teacher guy's little brother gets kidnapped and they all end up stopping gladiator slave fights.
Also, it was definitely Young Adult. And there was this whole side story about the teacher and his friend being rebels and getting in trouble for stealing horses. And the teacher ends up actually being the son of a famous bandit; whose uncle is this crime lord. There's also a plot line where a powerful criminal gang is threatening the royal family because there's a new king who's trying to eliminate gangs?

message 2: by Mir (new)

Mir | 703 comments Maybe something by Tamora Pierce or Sherwood Smith? It doesn't match exactly with the books I've read, but they both wrote a lot that I haven't read and use many of those plot elements.

Elise | 7 comments Its definitely not Tamora Pierce...I remembered it because I'm reading the Song of the Lioness series and it reminded me of this book. I'll check out Sherwood Smith though.

Elise | 7 comments Yeah, its not anything by Sherwood Smith either. Its pretty recent, and it might have been the author's first book or something.

message 5: by Jai (new)

Jai | 61 comments And you're sure it's YA? All of those elements are in the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.

Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) by Ilona Andrews is the first.

Do you remember anything about the cover? Or character names? How many years ago?

Elise | 7 comments It definitely wasn't that...it had a fantasy-type kingdom setting. It was fairly recently - probably published within the past 5 years, but I can't say for sure. I feel like the magic friend had ordinary name - I keep thinking Alexander or something. The little brother had a name starting with a D...I wish I could remember the names.

message 7: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments Graceling, Fire, or Bitterblue? Cashore

message 8: by Elise (last edited Mar 17, 2013 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elise | 7 comments nope, none of those

Its about a girl training to become a knight or a king's rider or something- I don't think it was actually a knight. The first half of the book is about her time in training - she's trying to improve physically because they don't accept too many girls and she's afraid of being cut, but her schoolwork is suffering. She has a best guy friend who's secretly hiding that he has magic - he doesn't want to register. She also has a roomate who's the king's cousin or something. The other main character is this guy who's commander of this elite fighting squad who gets called back to teach and he's angry about it.Anyway the girl and the teacher guy fight a lot but he starts helping her improve.
There's this whole plot point about rival gangs recruiting unregistered magic people and trying to take over, and the new, young king trying to get rid of organized crime.
The second half of the book starts with the teacher guy's little brother getting kidnapped. Everyone goes off to find him, and one of the king's relatives is kidnapped too. The teacher guy somehow ends up as a gladiator slave in one of the gang's fighting dens and the main girl has to save him.

message 9: by Courtney (new)

Courtney  | 80 comments It sounds a little like Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain , but I've never read the book.

message 10: by Elise (last edited Mar 17, 2013 04:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elise | 7 comments nope, I've read that. This book isn't really high fantasy, more like a young adult fantasy.

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 257 comments It might be a stretch but maybe Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers

message 12: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Sounds a lot like The Cadet of Tildor but that just came out in Jan 2013.

message 13: by Raz (new)

Raz | 87 comments It looks like it could have been The Cadet of Tildor by Alex Lidell. Since it was previously called Service of the Crown and was a finalist in Amazon’s Breakout Novel Awards 2010 competition.

message 14: by Gabs (new)

Gabs  | 127 comments Igraine the Brave Yeah, I really can't remember how the plot went, but there was a girl knight. This is a bit of a stretch, I think.

Elise | 7 comments Thanks, it was definitely Cadet of Tildor (when it wasn't Cadet of Tildor yet?..confused)

message 16: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex Lidell (alexlidell) | 1 comments Elise - THE CADET OF TILDOR was originally called SERVICE OF THE CROWN, when it was an Amazon finalist in 2010. Dial bought it shortly after the contest closed and we changed the title closer to publication (SERVICE OF THE CROWN sounded a little too british-spy-novel :) ) If you read the version on Amazon a few years back, you'll be surprised by the editing process and what the final book is like. -Alex

message 17: by Fayley (new) - added it

Fayley | 68 comments This still hasn't been released as an ebook available in Australia (I hate it when publishers do that)!