r/books discussion

Introductions > Hi, I'm Kate

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateward) Hiya all.

37 yr old mum to 7 and wife to 1 from Hastings on the south coast of the UK. Obviously parenting is pretty full-on, but I'm just about to start my teaching assistant training following on from helping primary kids with their reading.
For years I didn't read due to the only books I ever seemed to have my nose in were for study. And I couldn't bare it.
This totally killed me.
Then I found goodreads and the reading challenge. That did it. The competitiveness in my, combined with my base line OCD set me off on a journey that (I hope) never ends.
I'm now a book obsessive. I'll read most genres except main-stream chick-lit (it really does nothing for me and I have tried), and I have a major thing going on for US history, especially Revolutionary and anything to do with the Kennedy's.

I'm fascinated by other's reading interests, likes and dislikes, and thanks to friends on goodreads, along with the great rec software, I've found stuff I'd never consider from just looking at the shelves.

Unfortunately, this is crippling my bank balance, and my shelves.

Can't wait to share x

message 2: by Rose, Mod (new)

Rose (rtrinh) | 153 comments Mod
It's great that you're making a new habit out of reading, especially as a mother! Your children learn from watching and I hope that they see this as an example for themselves and start reading too.

I feel most people are turned off by taking the time to read for enjoyment due their studies and don't particularly realize how enjoyable reading is (and also some of the books we use for studies are actually quite good!)

I found that a great way to save money on books is to browse through secondhand shops and used bookstores. I also saved a lot by getting myself an e-reader, although I admit that I do still love a physical copy of a book. I also enjoy asking friends of mine to swap books with me!

message 3: by Darli (new)

Darli (parentheticals) | 92 comments Getting an e-reader also helped me a lot too (financially), when it comes to reading books. I almost never buy new books too, unless I really want it. There are so many secondhand bookshops in my city, so I'm lucky, I guess.

Hi, Kate! :) Welcome!

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateward) about 90% of the hard copy books I buy are second hand and about 50% of overall purchases are on kindle.

the last bit was kind of a joke ;)

rose, my kids have read or been read too since day 1, and have reading ages way above their years :)