Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

TV&Movie Crime,Mystery&Thriller > British TV Mystery Series

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 17, 2013 09:28AM) (new)

I decided to start a subscription to Acorn TV through Roku to watch some British Mysteries. Saw Vexed and Crackle. Great shows. Ripper Street is on BBC and that is a great show as well. Have to say that the networks don't have a lot of good shows left so that's the reason I decided to start looking at these shows. Hope people want to discuss these shows as well.

message 2: by Clarissa (new)

Clarissa Draper (clarissa_draper) | 119 comments Mod
I haven't seen Vexed or Crackle but I did enjoy the first episode of Ripper Street. I'm a fan of Macfadyen and he didn't disappoint. I should watch the rest of the series.

message 3: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 1 comments Ripper street is too dark and violent.
The series DCI based on Peter Robinson novels is better.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw the first episode of Cracker on Netflix. Seems like a good series to get into.

message 5: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments How about Single-handed? I like that series. Have seen thru season 2. My kids say it is depressing though.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Fanficfan44 wrote: "How about Single-handed? I like that series. Have seen thru season 2. My kids say it is depressing though."

My wife and I just saw the first episode yesterday. I really enjoyed it.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Saw the Mis Fisher's Murder Mysteries as well. Good show.

message 8: by David (new)

David Gooch | 4044 comments Mod
Ronhummer wrote: "Saw the Mis Fisher's Murder Mysteries as well. Good show."

Seen this once but felt it was just a bit too predictable for my liking.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

David wrote: "Ronhummer wrote: "Saw the Mis Fisher's Murder Mysteries as well. Good show."

Seen this once but felt it was just a bit too predictable for my liking."

My wife didn't care for it. I only saw the first one. I'll see if my opinion changes.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I do like the MidSomer Murders. I'll check out Under The Hammer also although that isn't a mystery.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Anyone see the movie The Sweeney yet? I saw it on Sunday. Great movie. I'll have to check out the TV series.

message 12: by David (new)

Ronhummer wrote: "Anyone see the movie The Sweeney yet? I saw it on Sunday. Great movie. I'll have to check out the TV series."

The one with Ray Winstone in? I've seen it and it was ok. Having seen the TV series I thought the film was ok but not as good as the TV series and the rapport between Carter and Regan was better in the TV series. A word of warning though the TV series was made way back in the 70's so it will look dated compared to today.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks. I'd still like to check it out. I really did enjoy the movie.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate Vane (katevane) Ronhummer wrote: "I saw the first episode of Cracker on Netflix. Seems like a good series to get into."

Would definitely recommend Cracker - loved it when it was first on in the UK.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Kate wrote: "Ronhummer wrote: "I saw the first episode of Cracker on Netflix. Seems like a good series to get into."

Would definitely recommend Cracker - loved it when it was first on in the UK."

Have to start watching more of that series.

message 16: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments Ronhummer wrote: "I decided to start a subscription to Acorn TV through Roku to watch some British Mysteries. Saw Vexed and Crackle. Great shows. Ripper Street is on BBC and that is a great show as well. Have to..."

Acorn has great stuff. It is true that there is not much to watch on regular TV and for some reason BBC America doesn't carry any of the British shows I am interested in.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Fanficfan44 wrote: "Ronhummer wrote: "I decided to start a subscription to Acorn TV through Roku to watch some British Mysteries. Saw Vexed and Crackle. Great shows. Ripper Street is on BBC and that is a great show..."

Yeah, other than Ripper Street, BBC has been disappointing. Netflix is carrying a lot of good shows also.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Been catching up on Foyle's War. Really enjoying it so far.

message 19: by Alejandrina (new)

Alejandrina | 5 comments Ronhummer wrote: "Been catching up on Foyle's War. Really enjoying it so far."

Foyle is one of the best series ever. We just finished watching the lot and wished there were more... Anybody know if more episodes are in the works? I am in the US, so releases do vary. Thanks!

message 20: by Alejandrina (new)

Alejandrina | 5 comments Ronhummer wrote: "Been catching up on Foyle's War. Really enjoying it so far."

Foyle is one of the best series ever. We just finished watching the lot and wished there were more... Anybody know if more episodes are in the works? I am in the US, so releases do vary. Thanks!

message 21: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments Fanficfan44 wrote: "Ronhummer wrote: "I decided to start a subscription to Acorn TV through Roku to watch some British Mysteries. Saw Vexed and Crackle. Great shows. Ripper Street is on BBC and that is a great show..."

This is true. Acorn has some great shows and yet BBC America never has them. I am fortunate that my local library carries alot of BBC videos.

message 22: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Lawrence | 5 comments Alejandrina wrote: "Ronhummer wrote: "Been catching up on Foyle's War. Really enjoying it so far."

Foyle is one of the best series ever. We just finished watching the lot and wished there were more... Anybody know i..."

PBS has more episodes of Foyle's War on this season of Masterpiece Mystery, in September I believe

message 23: by Alejandrina (new)

Alejandrina | 5 comments Christopher wrote: "Alejandrina wrote: "Ronhummer wrote: "Been catching up on Foyle's War. Really enjoying it so far."

Foyle is one of the best series ever. We just finished watching the lot and wished there were mo..."

THANKS! I will be on the lookout for these.

message 24: by Leni (new)

Leni Bogat (LeniBogat) | 10 comments Christopher wrote: "Alejandrina wrote: "Ronhummer wrote: "Been catching up on Foyle's War. Really enjoying it so far."

Foyle is one of the best series ever. We just finished watching the lot and wished there were mo..."

Yes, this is exciting news indeed. Addicted to Foyle.

message 25: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) The Fall is one I finally got a hold of. Story might have been good but characters were awful, acting was awful. Who in the world thought Gillian Andrews could play that part? Her Irish accent was a joke to the point of distraction.

message 26: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid | 1 comments Endeavor on PBS. Would love to see the original series Inspector Morse again. Miss John Thaw as Morse. Although the actor (sorry, can't recall his name) playing Morse as a young constable does an excellent job. Looking forward to more.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Started watching Orphan Black on BBC. I'm really enjoying it so far.

message 28: by David (new)

Ingrid wrote: "Endeavor on PBS. Would love to see the original series Inspector Morse again. Miss John Thaw as Morse. Although the actor (sorry, can't recall his name) playing Morse as a young constable does an e..."

The guy is called Shaun Evans who plays the young morse.
They did a pilot show in 2012 first and then did the 4 part series that went out on ITV earlier this year.
For me they were all good but 4 episodes was not enough so I do hope they do another series.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

Haven't been here in a while. I've been watching Spy on Hulu. Great comedy on BBC. Here is my review.

http://morningcoffeejournal.weebly.co...

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed he first episode of William & Mary on Acorn TV. Have to keep an eye on this one.

message 31: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) Just started The Tunnel--looks like it might be a good one.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary wrote: "Just started The Tunnel--looks like it might be a good one."

What station is it on? Wouldn't mind checking it out.

message 33: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) Ronhummer wrote: "Mary wrote: "Just started The Tunnel--looks like it might be a good one."

What station is it on? Wouldn't mind checking it out."

Don't know- my son got it off the internet. I live in USA so difficult to get new shows from England.

message 34: by David (new)

The Tunnel in the UK is on Sky Atlantic

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll have to check it out. Maybe this station will be on Roku at some point. Thanks.

message 36: by Helen (new)

Helen Howe | 8 comments It wasn't really a series, but I enjoyed the recent 'Escape Artist' with David Tennant in it. Can't remember who wrote the story though, perhaps someone else can?

message 37: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 554 comments Anyone ever watched an older British Crime series called DNA? It is on Acorn TV and so I just turned it on. Lots of episodes so I just wondered if it was worthwhile to start or not.

message 38: by Anna (new)

Anna (cheekychick79) | 51 comments I can highly recommend Whitechapel, it's a bit different as it's up to date but loosely based on the Jack the Ripper times. Very good stories and excellent actors and actresses.

message 39: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) Loving The Tunnel but I am so disappointed in the second Sherlock series. First was great but this one just sort of seems lazy.