The Phantom Tollbooth The Phantom Tollbooth discussion

What do you think about this book?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by E (new) - rated it 5 stars

E I think this is the best book I have ever read! It is a great book for kids! Am I right?

Carrie I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I read somewhere that in today's market, it wouldn't have been published, but isn't saying anything bad about this book. It's saying something sad about the market.

The terrible tedium was it? My favorite :).

Gregory Rothbard Emma this is one of my favorite books. It kind of is like Alice in Wonderland, also you might like the Number Devil which deals with Mathematics and a Crazy Devil who brings you on a tour of numbers.

Wendy I recommend this book every chance I get. This is what imagination looks like in words.

Brenna This is such a great book. I believe that they even made a movie of it, and I remember watching it more than reading it. The movie was fun, I haven't seen it in ages though. I do love this book because it is so unique and the author's imagination runs wild and it is truly wonderful.

Kathi Wallace I love love love this book and push it like it's a drug! This helped cement my lifelong love of fantasy.

Beth This book was a true adventure when I was young. It is also a great book because it uses challenging vocabulary for young readers, but makes them accessible. I definitely recommend it to young readers and listeners!

Sheri This is a wonderful book, written with so much imagination. The plays on words, the watch dog, it is all so whimsical. I remember having a copy of this book when I was a kid and I recommended it my 9 year old and she loved it. It is a kid's book, but I think anyone can enjoy it.

Gregory Rothbard I taught this book and had so much fun doing cool activities around them. The kids seemed to love the construction of the world of the Phantom Tollbooth.

Adrian This is the book that sparked my love of language and word play. Until I read this I had no idea you could have such fun with words.

Nadja This book made me a reader; I love it.

Julie Pike I saw the film when I was 8 and it fired my imagination - I can still feel myself holding my breath with excitement as the car trundles through the toll booth. I had no idea the film was based on a book until I saw a copy in my local library last year. I devoured it in one sitting - the story is excellent! I'd forgotten lots of it so it was like feeling the story for the first time. A classic.

message 13: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Pedroso i think this book was very funny, especially because everything that happened was mostly fake but it had some realistic similarity. it also talked about how things in the world happen like for example how letters were made.

message 14: by Chris (last edited Jun 11, 2013 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chris This book was such a part of my childhood. The joy and nostalgia of reading it as an adult was such a pleasure I would recommend doing just that! If you read this as a little one, read it again..the magic is still there.
I love this book, everything about it. It helped me to understand irony, wit and wordplay. It opened my imagination and released me from the 'doldrums' if you will (heh).

message 15: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily Emma wrote: "I think this is the best book I have ever read! It is a great book for kids! Am I right?"

ya i think so to i read it and i was so GOOD i loved it. For people who have not read it you todally should!

message 16: by Lily (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lily when i started it i could not put it down...so i ended up reading it all!

Charles Moore I wasn't sure what I was getting to with "Phantom Tollbooth," but I'm glad I read it. At least my adult self thought it would be good for young adults to read but then my adult self has been wrong before. I liked it as an adult.

Randall Christopher This is such a great book. It is one of my absolute favorites.

Heidi Busch This was my favorite book in fifth grade. I remember reading and re-reading it several times.

Lauren It was ok. In 4th Grade my teacher read it aloud.

Chris Amazingly clever and witty!

Dhyana Kimie ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS EVER!!!!!

Elyssa This is literally my favorite book of all time, even through all of the books that I have read.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I love this book .expecially the part with the faceless dude that wants em to move the sand with tweesers

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I remember when our teacher had it on the audfio book and the guy sounded so weird and peepes were like "wtf" lol

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

THIS IS MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE BOOK IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. PERIOD. <3 <3 <3
"Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty."
—Norton Juster

message 27: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott Markham I am now reading this book for the first time, and I am well into my 40's. I am really enjoying the word-play, puns, and imagination that this book employs!
I am 47% done now, and hope to finish soon.
I have two of his other books as "to read", and hopefully will find them just as captivating!

message 28: by Sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sam Scrimger First real book I ever read. Startlingly good.

message 29: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin I'm a teenager and I still loved this book! Marvelous lessons for children and great play-on-words and puns.
http://stealingpages.com/2013/10/08/b...

Douglas Nadja wrote: "This book made me a reader; I love it."

I agree. This is the first chapter book I remember reading by myself and has always been one of my favorites.

Last year, I told my daughter to read it. She refused, over and over. Finally, I decided to read it to her. When we finished it, she hated to say it, but told me she loved the book, too. :)

Gerald Black My all time fave growing up!!!!

Charles Moore I chuckle just thinking about Phantom Tollbooth. I wonder what it would have been like to carry on a conversation with Jester. I bet he'd be hard to keep up with!

Kelly Brigid ♡ I found this a very enjoyable book. It some hilarious grammatical spin on Alice In Wonderland to me. I highly recommend it :)

message 34: by Sergio (last edited Jan 22, 2014 03:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sergio Frosini Curioser and curioser. Beautiful, but I cannot say if children may love it, I read it in adult age (well, if I EVER reach'd adult age :) )

grey1066 Emma wrote: "I think this is the best book I have ever read! It is a great book for kids! Am I right?"

With all due respect I think it's a great book for adults too (if not mainly). It falls into that wonderful category of books that are called "children's books" because they're not about sex, drugs, and crime. The late great Lloyd Alexander always said that anyone who sets out to write a book "for kids" will fail. Write a good book, he said, and it will be, for better or worse, classified for you. Any children's books not worth reading as an adults ("Book of Three", "Dark is Rising Sequence", "Neverending Story", "Wrinkle in Time", etc.) is not worth reading.

Having said that, it IS a great book for kids...and adults...and octogenarians...and... : )

message 36: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark I was a voracious reader at a young age and this book was easily one of my favorites. It had everything; a clever and interesting story-line and a laid-back style that held me captivated from start to finish. m

GABRIELLA 6 this book is amazing dont you think

message 38: by Anna (new) - rated it 1 star

Anna I think I missed something. Maybe it's because I'm on one of the topics specifically talking about this book, and the people like me who didn't really like the book wouldn't come here, but I still feel like I missed something.

I read this a few years ago and didn't feel like it had a plot. I felt like the journey that Milo took was pointless and that a lot of the word play was just over the top and didn't make sense. This book was also required reading, so of course, I hated to read it. But seriously, what did I miss? Why is this book so fantastic?

Douglas As one of the admirers of the book on the opposite side of the star spectrum, I'll try to answer Creative's questions. First, I respect your rating. As an author, I don't expect everyone to like or get the fiction I write. But, I admire that you take a chance to ask others why they think the book is fantastic when you hate it. To me, it would seem that you want to appreciate this book the way others do. Like wanting to laugh at the joke, but asking for it to be explained (which usually makes the joke less funny, but at least you understand it).

The point of this book is Milo learning to appreciate learning. He starts as someone who sees no point in school and thinks the world is a boring place. What better world to learn about learning than one super-saturated with it? In my opinion, the over the top word play is one of the book's charms. It's a book of surreal, ridiculous nonsense similar to Alice's Adventure in Wonderland. Milo embarks on the basic hero's journey of rescuing the princesses, and he learns a lot from this wacky world along the way. This was not required reading for me. I discovered it myself in the library when I was in elementary school, and I still think the story is a fun journey.

That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

message 40: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 29, 2014 05:11PM) (new)

It was down right boring. I read it when I was in 3rd grade and I thought it was very dull.

TheBohemianBookworm It was good. Not the best book ever. But cute for young children.

Faith I had to read this in school a few years ago. IT WAS GREAT!

message 43: by Eva (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eva This was a great book. I was forced to read it in my reading class and thought it would be terrible, but was actually fabulous.

BooksnakeA i loved loved loved loved it!!!!!!!! #1!!!!!!!!!!!!100000 stars!!!!!!

message 45: by J.D. (new) - rated it 5 stars

J.D. Estrada It is a refreshing take on Math and grammar and definitely shows what happens when creativity is set loose to tackle boring subjects. The Phantom Tollbooth is just a wonderful book for anyone of any age that likes to read smart smile-worthy fiction.

Heather This book is a favorite of mine, I found it and bought it both as a movie and book for my grandchildren. It is timeless!!

message 47: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike I loved this book as a child. It was one of the books that got my (still strong) love of fantasy to take hold, and it's one of the few books that made enough of an impact that I still remembered it 25 years later.

While the adult me wasn't blown away when I re-read it, the adult me could still recognize what was so special about it.

I can't really recommend it to grownups unless they truly enjoy reading children's (not YA, children's) books. But if you know a kid who likes to read...

James I loved this book as a child and still love it today. Whimsical and funny, entertaining and educational. It's one of the great YA fantasy novels. Along with John Bellairs' Midwestern Gothic stories and the Narnia books, laid the foundation for my love of fantasy.

I often tell people that the Mathemagician inspired me to become an analyst/statistician! ;)

Randall Christopher James wrote: "I loved this book as a child and still love it today. Whimsical and funny, entertaining and educational. It's one of the great YA fantasy novels. Along with John Bellairs' Midwestern Gothic stories..."

I would like to be able to say that this book inspired me to be both a math and language arts teacher, which I am, but I read this book for the the first time in college after I made up my mind to be said teacher. So I think the opposite is true. I think it's because of my love for both words and numbers that makes me feel so strongly for this treasure of a novel. It also makes me torn to think that one could be worth more than the other. Rhyme and Reason definitely have it right; they are equal.

message 50: by T.L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

T.L. Merrybard I loved this book and read it many times. Haven't for years though. Must pull it out and read again!

« previous 1