r/books discussion

Open Discussion > What shows do you follow?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) I have a terrible habit of starting shows, getting about half way through, and never finishing. Drives my SO crazy hahaha. Right now I'm watching How I Met Your Mother, Fruit's Basket, and Wilfred. And my friends have been hounding me to watch Dr. Who which I will probably start soon.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateward) Yes do get into Who. If you can't bare to start right at the beginning (1963) then I recommend seasons 4 and 5. Both quality stuff.

Personally, nothing does it for me better than a good dose of Mad Men, followed closely by American Horror Story. Used to love Dexter, but it's dead to me now. lol

message 3: by Darren (new)

Darren Lee (slappa_da_bass) | 12 comments I second the recommendation of the Dr. Who series and would recommend the David Tennant period in particular.

Currently I am catching up on The Sopranos and I am a big fan of A Game of Thrones, how I met your mother, boardwalk empire, american horror story and breaking bad.

I am going to have a lot of free time in a couple of months so any recommendations for series would be welcomed.

message 4: by John L, Mod (new)

John L (philipblake) | 103 comments Mod
I still love Dexter. I know it's gotten worse, but it will be over soon, maybe even this season.

I'm also watching Walking Dead and Breaking Bad and Wilfred (The American version). I get my violence on with the Ultimate fighter as well.

The shows I love and will stop to watch reruns of include Scrubs and Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Ahhh you all are reminding me of all of the shows I have abandoned, I feel so bad! (I didn't realize just how many until now haha).

message 6: by Dallis (new)

Dallis | 2 comments Southland, Justified, Parks and Recreation (which is starting to lose its edge in my opinion). I think that's it for stuff that's still on air.

message 7: by Rose, Mod (new)

Rose (rtrinh) | 153 comments Mod
I honestly don't watch that much television but I religiously follow Adventure Time... because I'm a kid and love cartoons. :3

message 8: by Ashley (last edited Mar 19, 2013 11:25AM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Rose wrote: "I honestly don't watch that much television but I religiously follow Adventure Time... because I'm a kid and love cartoons. :3"

Adventure Time! I didn't think about that one, I'm up to the season that's airing now- I was downloading each new episode as it became available but I got too lazy for that after the first two. You should try reading the comic if you haven't yet, it's really good :).

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (micrc) +1 for adventure time. My kid is seven and he loves it, as do I. Otherwise, I don't watch much tv but I'm currently following game of thrones and breaking bad. I was following mad men religiously but got burned out at the end of last season.

message 10: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo (ricardob) | 15 comments I follow Dexter, Walking Dead, How I met your mother, and Game of Thrones, but I usually wait for the season either to end or get ahead. I hate dealing with cliffhangers for a week.

message 11: by Stephanie, Super Mod (new)

Stephanie (lastnightsbook) | 346 comments Mod
I follow Dexter, Weeds, How I met your mother, Borgia (the French German production) Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and Burn Notice.

I do what @Ricardo does, and wait till everything is available on DVD in order watch the whole season continuously and not have to wait. The only show I do that for is Big Bang Theory but I usually record it.

message 12: by Megan, Mod (new)

Megan (maptree) | 198 comments Mod
Love Dexter, Criminal Minds, The Following, CSI NY, Breaking Bad, Justified, Monday Mornings, Army Wives, Grey's Anatomy.

Wow, looking at this list seems I am one morbid chick! LOL!!

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark Hebden (unisonlibrarian) | 5 comments At the moment I'm watching series one of House and have Heroes to come. However, being from the UK and most people here seem to have mentioned US shows here are some good UK TV shows I've seen recently for you to seek out

Criminal Justice (drama about a guy accused of a murder he doesn't remember committing)
The Lakes (drama about a working class community around the English Lake District)
Downton Abbey (drama about the dichotomy between the aristocratic class and the servants "below stairs")
Being Human (comedy/horror/drama about Vampires/Werewolves etc, lead male in first two series is beautiful ;))
Broadchurch (murder mystery, part way through, on TV over here now)
Misfits (Comedy/drama about a group of youngsters who develop strange powers after a huge storm)
The Shadow Line (Drama about small time gangsters and police corruption)

message 14: by Kate (new)

Kate (kateward) Broadchurch is some of the best drama I've seen for a long time.
Can also recommend Ripper Street (should air on BBCWorldwide soon).

message 15: by Ashley (last edited Mar 26, 2013 10:30AM) (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Mark wrote: "At the moment I'm watching series one of House and have Heroes to come. However, being from the UK and most people here seem to have mentioned US shows here are some good UK TV shows I've seen rece..."

Misfits! I was watching that one for a while but I stopped after Nathan left the show. I really liked it up till that point, maybe I'll give it another chance.

message 16: by Lee (new)

Lee I'm quite fond of Dr. Who and Game of Thrones so I really really can't wait for this weekend. Forget Easter, Who and Thrones is back!

Next to them I'm watching Community and Archer, and I'm about to start season two of Suits

message 17: by Darli (new)

Darli (parentheticals) | 92 comments Lee wrote: "I'm quite fond of Dr. Who and Game of Thrones so I really really can't wait for this weekend. Forget Easter, Who and Thrones is back!"

Yay, another Whovian! I love Doctor Who too and I can't wait to see more of Oswin. I have a feeling that she's going to be my favorite companion.

And Game of Thrones! Have you read the books already? I'm done with the first two books but I can't for the life of me get past the first few chapters of the third book. I really dislike Daenerys's chapters.

message 18: by Lee (new)

Lee Darliza wrote: "Lee wrote: "I'm quite fond of Dr. Who and Game of Thrones so I really really can't wait for this weekend. Forget Easter, Who and Thrones is back!"

Yay, another Whovian! I love Doctor Who too and I..."

I'm a bit sceptical about this weekend's episode of Who. I'm not very informed about the enemy but I've read that they come from Wi-Fi or something like that, it all just seems a bit too odd even for Who standards :P

Yeah I'm in the middle of reading Ice and Fire, I finished A Storm of Swords not too long ago but I'm waiting to start the next until I get to work on my book backlog. Book 3 is simply wow. I watched the series first so I didn't find the first two books as great as I would have if I started with them simply because I knew what was around every corner. With 3 though (almost) everything was new bar a few things I had spoiled so I really enjoyed reading it.

I'm in Ireland so the book was split into two and I agree that the first 'half' isn't nearly as good as the second 'half' but it still has its great moments. If you're having trouble getting through it I suggest just to stick with it as it does get much much better. There's only 6 Dany chapters (out of 82) so you won't have to suffer her much :P

message 19: by Megan, Mod (new)

Megan (maptree) | 198 comments Mod
So Games of Thrones lives up to the hype or? It is another series of books on my to read list....the tv shows not so much...

House was a great series....I think 10 seasons in all..sad to see it end.