Michigan Reads discussion

Great Michigan Read 2013-14: "Annie's Ghosts"

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten | 18 comments Mod
The group has decided to read "Annie's Ghosts". It's a non-fiction book based on family history and set in Michigan. We haven't set a start date as of yet, but wanted to get the word out to see if others would be interested in joining. See Booklist review below.

Kirsten

"Part memoir, part mystery, part history of the mental-health movement, Annie's Ghosts is a fascinating account of a life lived in the shadows."
--Booklist, STARRED REVIEW

message 2: by Patty (new)

Patty | 5 comments Annie's Ghosts A Journey Into a Family Secret by Steve Luxenberg

I wonder how much I'll learn about Detroit in this novel. The story line seems like something I heard before but it got good reviews from Good Read readers so I'm ready to give it a try and inivite friends to join the discussion.
Kirsten, are you our moderator and will you be posting it on our Michigan Reads Events page with a finish date for discussion (or if you choose, ungoing discussion until the finish date?

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice (goodreadscomalice) | 4 comments I would like to join in, I've just ordered the book.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Yes, I will post in our events page with an end date. An end of book discussion would be better for me. Sounds like we're all staring at different dates. Is three weeks too long? Say April 5th to discuss.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

I think we have a group of four: Joan, Patty, Alice and myself. Happy reading! discussions to begin April 5th?

message 6: by Patty (new)

Patty | 5 comments I just ordered the book too so April 5 is coming right up. Will contribute when I can.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 9 comments I picked it up from the library today. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 8: by Alice (new)

Alice (goodreadscomalice) | 4 comments I received my book today, don't know how much I will read in a week.

message 9: by Joan (new)

Joan (jg9656) I'm averaging about 2 chapters per day, but I read pretty slowly. The book has LOTS of people. I tried keeping them all straight for a while, but finally gave up and just read for the story/enjoyment. That has helped! :-)

message 10: by Katherine (last edited Apr 01, 2013 12:36PM) (new)

Katherine (madlibn) | 10 comments I'll join, but will have to catch up when the book gets here. I had to get it on ILL. Or maybe I'll buy it for my NOOK!

message 11: by Patty (new)

Patty | 5 comments Would anyone be unhappy if we moved the end date a week....say April 12? That might mean that more people might actually have read/finished the book.

message 12: by Joan (new)

Joan (jg9656) Katherine, I'm done with my copy, and it is not due back until April 9. I can drop it off to you tomorrow if you want? Let me know...

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 9 comments I'm halfway done - really enjoying it!

message 14: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (madlibn) | 10 comments I'm about 2/3 of the way through and starting to have some thoughts about his process of research and writing. There's a "family members and recurring figures" chapter at the end of mine (NOOK version).

message 15: by Patty (new)

Patty | 5 comments I just finished the book and posted my review. I would recommend this book to anyone. It is a great book for a discussion. So many questions and so many possible answers.

message 16: by Alice (new)

Alice (goodreadscomalice) | 4 comments I finished reading this book a couple of days ago and would recommend it to anyone that has ties to Detroit, a lot of history included in the story.

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 9 comments I finished it and enjoyed it. do we discuss in a forum or just.share reviews? it's my first time participating

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (madlibn) | 10 comments I thought that Luxenberg did a good job of telling the personal story with the historical background of the time, and of the mental health system.