The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Do guys like reading Romance novels?

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shobana (last edited Mar 17, 2013 01:59AM) (new)

Shobana Elango | 27 comments I'm a girl,My genre is Adventure and mystery, but I know women in general like romance novels. So I was wondering whether guys like reading Romance novels as well.

message 2: by Mekerei (new)

Mekerei | 37 comments More than a few years ago my son's teacher (when he was about 13) was reading a book to the class, a chapter a day. She never got it finished before the end of the year, so I brought it for him for Christmas, thinking that it would be a nice surprise in his Santa sack. That's when I found out that Twilight was not a book for teenage boys!

message 3: by Shobana (last edited Mar 17, 2013 05:03AM) (new)

Shobana Elango | 27 comments Mekerei wrote: "More than a few years ago my son's teacher (when he was about 13) was reading a book to the class, a chapter a day. She never got it finished before the end of the year, so I brought it for him for..."

Even some girls hate twilight!!

message 4: by Miklos (new)

Miklos (fringemiki) | 9 comments I, personally sometimes need to read some light, romantic novel.

message 5: by Ashima (new)

Ashima (ashimachoudhary1) | 20 comments yes yes yes!

message 6: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown If romance novels contain fast cars, guns, and twin sisters, then I'll read them! :)

message 7: by Shobana (new)

Shobana Elango | 27 comments R.M.F wrote: "If romance novels contain fast cars, guns, and twin sisters, then I'll read them! :)"

You should try Lethal by Sandra Brown

message 8: by Isabel (new)

Isabel | 10 comments If they do i would like to find one of those...
My father is the person, than i know, that read more books in is life and he absolutely hates Romance novels, unless of corse if they have cowboys, guns, or a pervd men with a mystery beauthyful woman...:) (sorry for my englis, it sucks).

message 9: by Dan (new)

Dan Lutts (dan_lutts) I'm an older guy and I enjoy reading some romance novels. I liked Alyson Noel's The Immortals series so much that I read all the books in it. I also read Leanna Renee Hieber's Darker Still, but didn't like it that much because of the plot and the modern terms such as "chatting someone up" in a Victorian setting.

I'll probably read some more novels too.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan | 29 comments Most guys I know don't care for romance novels, but who can blame them? It's not so much that they don't like romance, but most romance novels are written by women, for women. The male characters are unrealistically "perfect," so I can see how guys would have trouble relating. I've read some mystery and/or fantasy novels written by men that also contain a romance element, and I know my male friends tend to prefer those to traditional romance.

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (eyedstarry) Definitely yes! Give me one with an impossible/i'm-possible story and i'll literally die into reading it! :D

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Perry | 229 comments I know several guys who read them. But keep in mind most women in those books are unusually perfect as well. I think it is the same reason my husband denies goin through my cosmo magazine; they don't want their fellow men to poke fun at the,. My husband loves his chick flicks way more than me; I like horror and monster movies. Its stereotypes.

message 13: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 82 comments Shobana wrote: "I'm a girl,My genre is Adventure and mystery, but I know women in general like romance novels. So I was wondering whether guys like reading Romance novels as well."

I usually do if the writing isn't bad and the story is interesting. Unfortunately, bad writing seems like a prerequisite for romance novels these days.

message 14: by Jon (new)

Jon (jon17) | 82 comments ♒ AbbyCadaby ♒ wrote: "Romance is actually one of my favourites.. mix that with horror and a bit of action and Im set for life."

Abby, do you know guys who read romance? That's what the original poster was curious about.

message 15: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown Megan wrote: "Most guys I know don't care for romance novels, but who can blame them? It's not so much that they don't like romance, but most romance novels are written by women, for women. The male characters a..."

Hear, hear.

message 16: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 186 comments Stephen wrote: "Shobana wrote: "I'm a girl,My genre is Adventure and mystery, but I know women in general like romance novels. So I was wondering whether guys like reading Romance novels as well."

I'm a fifty plu..."

Agree, good storyline is the key. There is no particularly bad genre there are just bad writers and bad stories and any most boring or difficult subject can be made interesting with a little touch of a writing talent, well maybe more than a little but you know what I mean

message 17: by Yassemin (last edited Mar 18, 2013 04:32AM) (new)

Yassemin (yas666) | 56 comments I'm not male but I don't like it too much really. Occasionally something with a bit of romance I can do, but not pure romance. I need more of a storyline personally than A meets B and this is what happens. If it's part of another story / genre than great,romance always helps!

message 18: by Jihaad (new)

Jihaad Albayaty | 2 comments I don't particularly read romance novels but if I was in a situation where I had nothing else to read or a romance novel came my way then as long as the storyline is good like Stephen and Vardan pointed out then all is good with me
It's not like you can avoid the romance it's part of most story lines there's bound to be some of it, as long it's not oozing romance then its ok

message 19: by Vardan (new)

Vardan Partamyan (vardanpartamyan) | 186 comments For example I remember reading a Stevenson book when I was a kid and it was an adventure novel on Scottish royalty and it had a female character named Catrione and the romance between the protagonist and her was just so moving...the book was still first and foremost an adventure novel though. Also I think for the romance to work it should have many auxiliary aspects. For e.g., and this is from movie genre not fiction, 500 days of summer was a romantic movie but it had such great humor to go along with it that it worked me.

message 20: by R.M.F. (new)

R.M.F. Brown Good writing is good writing, regardless of genre and I'll read it, but all to often, romance novels descend into cliche.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 32 comments It depends on my mood :) I try to rotate the genre of books I read so topics stay fresh and fun for me.

message 22: by Shobana (new)

Shobana Elango | 27 comments Vardan wrote: "Stephen wrote: "Shobana wrote: "I'm a girl,My genre is Adventure and mystery, but I know women in general like romance novels. So I was wondering whether guys like reading Romance novels as well."
..."

You're right Jon..

message 23: by Shobana (new)

Shobana Elango | 27 comments Stephen wrote: "Shobana wrote: "I'm a girl,My genre is Adventure and mystery, but I know women in general like romance novels. So I was wondering whether guys like reading Romance novels as well."

I'm a fifty plu..."

That's nice Sir. Thank you.

message 24: by Shobana (new)

Shobana Elango | 27 comments Thank you for all your reply guys!! It was very informative :)

message 25: by DENISA (new)

DENISA HOWE | 115 comments <---- not a guy.... but I enjoy them sometimes esp if they have a story line to them like Jane Austin's writing... I hate the short romances... girl boy, problem they get each other I want something more then that..

message 26: by Tettey (new)

Tettey | 107 comments A book about romance would be the last one I willingly pick up. Writing about romance feels to me like writing about eating food or drinking beer or having sex. Sure its enjoyable but there's only so much that can happen. Meet, fall in love, have problems, break up(maybe), get back together, get married, the end.

message 27: by Darrian (last edited Mar 18, 2013 10:38AM) (new)

Darrian (darebear96) I am actually currently reading a romance novel. I mean it would be considered fantasy but it has heavy romance in it. Personally I enjoy a love story on occassion but I definitely would rather have it told from the guy's perspective to make it easier to relate to and there would most definitely have to be some type of action going on and the romance would have to be more of a secondary story line. I feel like everyone needs to read a story of love and hope once every 3 months or so to keep the dream alive.

message 28: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Goudge (authoreileengoudge) Nikki wrote: "Definitely yes! Give me one with an impossible/i'm-possible story and i'll literally die into reading it! :D"

Have you read "Me Before You" by JoJo Moyes? It's the ultimate impossible/possible romance. Read it with a box of Kleenex on hand!

message 29: by Santino (new)

Santino Prinzi (tinoprinzi) I haven't read many at all. I prefer romance as one of many themes within a book, but not a romantic novel. Saying that, I read pride and prejudice and hated it!

message 30: by Thoughtmix (new)

Thoughtmix | 6 comments I'm a girl and I don't prefer purely romance novels. I often like novels that have other elements in addition to romance though. The strictly romantic novels are usually just trashy and have no depth.

message 31: by Alex (new)

Alex Oh, you should definitely try them! They basically ARE my childhoof and I don't think I'll ever be too old to re-read them!

message 32: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Perry | 229 comments Darrian wrote: "I am actually currently reading a romance novel. I mean it would be considered fantasy but it has heavy romance in it. Personally I enjoy a love story on occassion but I definitely would rather hav..."

Try Sherrilyn Kenyon her books have fighting, food, lots of action, and romance. She has said when she feels things are going too slow she gets someone in a fight. Plus her characters are very realistic. Not everyone in her world is a model. Makes it more relatable.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't stand romantic movies but with books it's a total different thing. I extremely enjoy romance novels as long as that is not all it is about but also has action (fighting kind) and a touch of something paranormal.

message 34: by Brian (new)

Brian Benson (bknight47) | 2 comments I'm a mystery-thriller author and just read my first romance novel. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed it. It was well written, and held my interest. I wouldn't have believed it would happen, but it did. I'm going to read more...:)

message 35: by Anuroop (new)

Anuroop Reddy (goodreadscomabendram) | 3 comments I am 24 year old guy and I like reading romance novels.. Nicholas sparks, Susan Elizabeth Phillips books are interesting.

message 36: by Jenifer (new)

Jenifer (jenifergicano) | 7 comments I read romance novels. But it depends on the story line. And the writing. And the plot. I don't like romance novels that's purely romance. It has to be something like Me Before You by Jojo Moyes or Colleen Hoover's Maybe Someday or some of Nicholas Sparks'.

message 37: by Diana (new)

Diana Gotsch | 55 comments There was an older man who came into the library and checked them out. He always had some story. His wife was sick so he was getting her some books or she was too busy to return the ones due so he came. Then one day he asked the Librarian for help finding a new author for is wife and in the discussion about what his wife liked the Librarian realized he know all the plots and characters and had opinions about the books he had checked out.

message 38: by Brian (new)

Brian Benson (bknight47) | 2 comments Some guys just won't admit it...lol

message 39: by Jim (last edited May 12, 2014 02:01PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic I purchased a novel titled Flight Lessons by Patricia Gaffney from a very limited selection in the gift shop of a hotel in which I was staying for a couple of days during one of my spontaneous road trips.

The title was the only one in the book rack that I found even remotely interesting. It turned out to be the literary equivilant of a "chick flick"; so I guess the genre would be considered Romance. It is the first and only one I have ever read.

That being said; I liked it. It was well-written and there were several different stories within the main storyline - a long-term family feud, a failing family restaurant, severe emotional and physical damage to be overcome and a love lost and new love found in the most unusual circumstances.

Had there been a larger selection from which to choose that evening, I would have probably chosen something else. In a way, I'm glad there wasn't.

message 40: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 64 comments A well done romance I love, because I'm kind of sentimental. But I don't like them if they don't have anything special about them, just some cheesy fluff stuff.