The Sword and Laser discussion

"The City & The City", Theater Production

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Stella (thepaulstella) I just got back from seeing China Mieville's "The City & The city" performed on stage in Chicago. Mieville was there for a signing and stayed after for discussion and Q&A. I asked if he had a musical playlist for "The City..." in which he replied: Eastern Euro soloist violin, eastern euro pop, and soundtracks from The Brothers Quay/Jan Svankmajer films.

I haven't finished the book, but the play seemed very well done and Mieville seemed very pleased with the production.

Here are my souvenirs: http://imgur.com/rnExWFQ.jpg

message 2: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments Cool! Were there many people there who weren't familiar with the book?

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Stella (thepaulstella) It seemed like at least 85-90% of the crowd were familiar with the book and/or China's other work.

message 4: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments I was interested in knowing how this went. Any other interesting Q&A answers?

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Stella (thepaulstella) China answered a question in regards to metaphor and allegory saying he isn't a fan of working those sort of things into his writing. He seems more interested in creating scenarios that interest him and having the readers get out whatever they want from it. He says his socio-political, non-ficiton writing doesn't consciously influence his fiction writing.