Rothfussians discussion

The Archives > Kvothe/Denna parallels

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill I'll assume that people are familiar with the idea that Kvothe and Denna are basically mirror images of each other. Both are wanderers. Both are searching for answers. Both assume the other couldn't possibly be interested in the other romantically because the other already has so many romantic entanglements. Neither can seem to find the other when they are looking for each other, etc.

Ok. Now, I recall there is a part where Kvothe says the seven words to Denna (I believe they were something to the effect of) "I was just wondering what you were doing here." (A seven word variant of that question.)

In any case, doesn't Denna mention something about almost drowning as a child and that she's lucky to be alive? And then she's got lung troubles still? (As seen when Kvothe saves her by calling the name of the wind to revive her.)

In any case, adding further support to the two of them being basically twins, one of the first things Kvothe does when learning sympathy is to pretend to call the name of the wind to impress Abenthy. He binds the air in his lungs to the world using sympathey, and in effect, almost kills himself. Strikinly similar I would say, to almost drowning.

message 2: by Manda (last edited Mar 17, 2013 09:48AM) (new)

Manda | 115 comments Denna had pneumonia as a baby. On one occassion she stopped breathing, died, and had to be resuscitated. So yes, it's one more parallel.

You were very close with the seven words. He says, "I was wondering what you're doing here."

Servius  Heiner  | 178 comments Interesting.

message 4: by Gumdaar (new)

Gumdaar | 4 comments Another thing about Denna/Kvothe parallels, I think Denna has a 'knack' for Naming, as when she and Kvothe discuss when they first met, "I remember your name, Denna." "Why did you take a new one?" and she replies "Denna, I'd almost forgotten her. She was a silly girl." She is always using a different name and only is Denna to Kvothe.

Also, before Kvothe comes up with the name "Mr. Ash" Denna asks "Don't they teach you about names at the University?" as if she already knows all about naming of things...