The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Hello from Portsmouth UK

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Godden Hi all,

I've been a member of this site for a few months now, posting and rating books I have read.
I thought it was time I became a bit more interactive and social.

So, a little about me, I'm 37 and live with my wife, two children and labrador pup. I've been an avid reader all my life devouring books by the dozen each month. I commute to work in London daily using my kindle to pass the time and whisk me away to adventures new.

I work in an often stressful environment and use books as a form of escapism, there is nothing better than engrossing yourself in a good book to take you away from all the stresses and strains of daily life.

So what do I read? In short, anything!
I am pretty much led by my mood as to which book I decide to read next.
Recent books have read range from The Game of Thrones series to Les Miserable (bit heavy for me!)
My favourite authors include Stephen King, C J Sansom, Lee Child, Terry Goodkind and Martina Cole
Topically I tend to go for murder mystery and suspense thrillers but will give anything a try.
I love anything that makes me laugh, the funnier the better.

I am always saying to my wife "i will write a book one day" I intend to be very interactive and gauge people's views and comments to push me towards writing more, and ever nearer that "I've finally written a book" moment!

I often contemplate books I've just read but my circle of friends a not particularly avid readers. I like the idea of discussing characters, plots and future reads. You should expect a comment from me coming to a post near you soon !

Im writing this at 0530 in the UK on a Sunday, I should be sleeping!

I look forward to chatting to you all soon.

Now...where's my Kindle........

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariagibbs) | 7 comments Hello I am also in the UK just down the road from you in Gosport.
I am 45, married with 2 kids and an avid 'Goodreads' & kindle user for about 2 years now.
I too read pretty much anything, as a look at my bookshelves (actual and virtual) will testify to, although I am not much into fantasy. Also heavily into fan fiction (yes I will admit it) although I do not think I could ever write anything (although I know many people who do). Hope you managed to get back to sleep !

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Godden Hello 'neighbour' ! Thanks for the reply.
I didn't get back to sleep , so continued reading Stephen Kings 11.22.63 , very hard to put down!
I have read a few biographies, mainly sports personalities but I do have Keith Richards book on my kindle which I am yet to read.
I am loving the good reads site, especially looking at how others review and rate books I have already read.
I'm not the sort of person to go to a local book club , so really like the fact I can do all this online.
I look forward to chatting to you in the future, let me know of any good reads you would recommend, thanks.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark Godden Forgot to mention, I have not really delved Into fan fiction as yet. May give it a try soon

message 5: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (marnie19) Welcome Mark- you had me at Labrador! I am a Tottenham Hotspur fan who lives outside of Seattle, Wa. I'm glad you joined our group and look forward to chatting with you about books.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark Godden Hi Marnie, I am a Portsmouth FC(where I live) and Arsenal Fan (family history) I'm also a big NFL fan and follow New York Giants.

I see you like historical fiction, I've recently really got into reading these types of books.
Mainly Tudor History in England through CJ Samsoms' Shardlake Series but have recently downloaded Hilary Mantels Wolf Hall to my kindle to read.

My lab is called Pippa and she is 9 months old she is amazing! She follows me everywhere.

Great to talk to you, i look forward to future chats

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily Sanders | 13 comments I used to commute from Bracknell to Waterloo everyday and reading preserved my sanity! There is only so much information one can glean from the Metro....

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark Godden Haha, the Metro is like a comic, takes 5 minutes to flick through. Funny commuting now as it is a sea of iPads, Kindles and other e readers.
The poor old book is dying a death. I do miss that new book smell though.
Can you get a scratch and sniff kindle?

message 9: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10035 comments Mod
Welcome Mark.. looks like you have a warm one already :)

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark Godden I'm settling in nicely , thanks Lori