The Hobbit The Hobbit discussion

The Great Quests

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Samuel Hello all,
Like The Hobbit, I am in need of something I've never read before; fantasy, children's, young adult or otherwise, I want a book or a series of books in its simplicity about a great quest or journey. These is what I'm craving right now.

Can anyone help me? Suggestions needed.

message 2: by Feliks (last edited Mar 17, 2013 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Feliks Many pretenders, few originals populate the fantasy genre.

After Tolkien, the only thing which shall satisfy your immediate need and craving are the 'Gormenghast' novels of Mervyn Peake. They are one of the few novels which can be plunged into, headlong. Few authors match Tolkien's or Peake's capacity for inventive detail.

Mervyn's tale is quest-based; but a quest which transpires all in one unique and self-contained setting. This displays an entirely different manner of quest; but no less rich than hobbits traipsing about a shire.

Titus Groan (Gormenghast, #1) by Mervyn Peake
Gormenghast (Gormenghast, #2) by Mervyn Peake
Titus Alone (Gormenghast, #3) by Mervyn Peake

They must be read in order; you can ensure this by choosing the 3-in-1 volume here:
The Gormenghast Novels (Gormenghast, #1-3) by Mervyn Peake

Aristodemos Ioannou Percy Jackson maybe? A nice YA story...

Haidi You need to get into Robin Hobb. She has done 4 different series under that name, (and others under the name of Megan Lindholm) But her Liveship Traders, Farseer and Tawny Man Trilogies are brilliant. Definitely look them up.

I have also really enjoyed really enjoyed books by Raymond E Feist, great for blokes!

Cecelia Dart-Thornton also has some brilliant Fantasy world trilogies. the worlds she creates are just something else.

Happy reading.

Michael The The Dwarves series by Markus Heitz are good too, not too complex and yet a fine read.
Orginally in German, but translated to English.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Don Quixote is an enormous book, but it is a adventure tale from the 1500's about a mentally insane knight. It is quite hilarious, at time you may be in tears of laughter but the book is very quest like.

Lord of the Rings definitely, Harry Potter. Both are YA series

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Sir Orfeo These three are poems but are about quests and are translated by Tolkien.

Sorry if I am not of much help I red classics rather than modern teen books.
But I have read all the ones I mentioned and they are all Good.

message 7: by Feliks (last edited Mar 26, 2013 09:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Feliks Tirant lo Blanc! (The White Tyrant!)

Tirant Lo Blanc by Joanot Martorell

Orlando Furioso! (not for the casual reader of chivalry)
Orlando Furioso by Ludovico Ariosto

Jerusalem Delivered
Torquato Tasso -- ditto!

message 8: by Elentarri (last edited Jul 08, 2013 09:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elentarri Faerie Tale by Raymond E Feist? It's a stand-alone. :)

Riddle Master Trilogy (sold as a single volume) by Patricia McKillip.

Ruth Eragon (Inheritance, #1) by Christopher Paolini maybe?

Becky I would suggest the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Disclaimer: Don't start this series unless you are willing to make a huge time commitment.

Elentarri Feliks wrote: "Many pretenders, few originals populate the fantasy genre.

After Tolkien, the only thing which shall satisfy your immediate need and craving are the 'Gormenghast' novels of Mervyn Peake. They are ..."

I found the Gormenghast set to be extremely slow and after a few chapters very boring.