Chicks On Lit discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > June's Nominations.

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
First 12 nominations or up until Saturday, whichever comes first.
Make sure it isn't a book we have already read.
Be prepared to lead the discussion (its not that hard or that scary - you can do it!)
Any genre, any period, anything that's available in print

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I'm nominating Gone With The Wind I know almost everyone has read it including myself but I find something new each time I do and it's been some time.

message 3: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Okay, I'm going to nominate a book for the first time, though I would love it if we did Gone With the Wind, since I am currently reading it.

I nominate The Reader, by Bernhard Schlink. This is the book that they made a movie out of staring Kate Winslet. I found it very moving and thought provoking.

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments These Granite Islands by Sarah Stonich

message 5: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments I nominate Summer Sisters by Judy Blume... I figure, it'll be summer so why not get caught up with a summertime book!

message 6: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments The Virgin of Small Plains A Novel of Suspense Lots of interwoven plots and interesting characters.

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Can I also nominate What is the What by Eggers

It is an amazing book about the Lost Boys from Sedan, walking through to Ethiopia. I can't recommend it enough.

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 106 comments I am going to nominate Lowboy by John Wray. It is a book about a 16-year-old mentally ill boy who has escaped his metal institution and is in the New York subway. Convinced he can save the world and off his medication, his mother and a police detective are looking for him before he has a complete psychotic break.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) The Ladies' Lending Library

The Scent Trail

Sorry for 2 nominations there, but I honestly couldn't pick one between them!

message 13: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I'll make you double nominaters a deal. IF there are not 12 nominations by Saturday I will add the double nominations. However, if there are 12 nominations from 12 different people Ill consider the first book you listed as your nomination.

message 14: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments You know I was thinking, we have such wonderful nominations each month, is there a way to generate a list of books that have been nominated previously? There are quite a few that got away..........

message 15: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Well technically they are all kept in the "Past future ..." folder. If you go through and look up each month's nomination folder you can find the books nominated. I hadn't thought to make one master list of all of them. It's totally possible it would just take some time to do it.

message 17: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 10 comments Do we vote for June's book on this thread or wait until the final nomination list is posted?

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I nominate Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

message 19: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Saturday I will post the final nominations and create a poll that will be at the bottom of our home page that you will be able to vote on.

message 20: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (wanda514) Meg wrote: "Can I also nominate What is the What by Eggers

It is an amazing book about the Lost Boys from Sedan, walking through to Ethiopia. I can't recommend it enough."

I would love to read this one!

message 21: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 305 comments I nominate The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver. I've had it on my bookshelf for a while and it looks like one that would be great to discuss...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.