DIVERGENT FAN CLUB discussion

Divergent (Divergent, #1)
This topic is about Divergent
The Movie > Cast for divergent, the movie!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Snowballina, Head Moderator (last edited Jul 01, 2013 09:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Snowballina | 104 comments Shailene Woodley has been cast as Tris. Zoe Kravitz is playing Christina. Ansel Elgormaggier Q will play Tori. Ansel Egort is playing Caleb and Theo James is cast as Four and Maggie Q will play Tori. What do you think of the selected cast? Is it the right choice? !

Sanjana (sanjana879) | 3 comments I actually really wanted Ginny Gardner to be Tris.

Tessa (ctessag) I do not see Shailene Woodley as Tris at all. They definitely need to dye her hair blonde. And I also think Theo is way too old to plat Four. But we'll see how it works out ;)

Madissen Campbell | 8 comments I agree! I'm scared shalene might mess it up. But we'll see.

Nora Bay (norabay) | 1 comments Theo is a bit old but I think he will sell it, he has the right look to play Tobias. I think he'll surprise us all. Shailene Woodley on the other hand I am not so sure of. And I think Zoe Kravitz is perfect for Christina. So excited for this movie!

Salome | 15 comments I've never seen Shailene Woodley in anything so I can't vouche for her acting skills. However, I thought her looks were pretty spot on. Sure she's pretty...it's HOLLYWOOD! But I pictured Tris to be kinda plain looking, and I think they've done a good job with that. Yes, her hair isn't blonde. But I also didn't picture a fair-haired Hollywood blonde either, I pictured a dirty dishwater blonde which her hair is not much darker than that in the movie.

I must say, I would hate to be an actor cast in a movie adaptation of a popular book. It seems that all they get is hate. We are not casting experts and we are not actors. Let's let the casting directors pick the actors, and let's let the actors do their best to bring our beloved characters to life. Until we actually see the film, we shouldn't judge.

Natalie | 119 comments I'm going to hold back all my judgement on Shailene until I see her in the movie, because right now I'm not a fan of her acting but you know maybe she'll do amazing and please don't complain about the hair! Sure it bugs me too that she might not be really,really blonde or have blue eyes, but I think it's so much more important that the acting is spot on than if her hair is the right shade of blonde. :)
Oh and am I the only one freaking excited for Kate Winslet as Janine?

Salome | 15 comments Natalie wrote: "I'm going to hold back all my judgement on Shailene until I see her in the movie, because right now I'm not a fan of her acting but you know maybe she'll do amazing and please don't complain about ..."

Super excited about Kate Winslet!!!

Natalie | 119 comments Salome wrote: "Natalie wrote: "I'm going to hold back all my judgement on Shailene until I see her in the movie, because right now I'm not a fan of her acting but you know maybe she'll do amazing and please don't..."

yay :D this was actually the only casting announcement I was super excited about because I personally think it's a perfect choice (I can't wait for them to show some pictures of her in costume)

Lauren I don't think she's the perfect fit, but I think she's the next best choice.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't know about Shailene, she doesn't look like the Tris I imagined, not a bit. I love that Zoe plays Christina she's perfect for it!

Lauren She looks kinda what I pictured for Christina.

Rachel (RachelOsborne) | 72 comments I love Shailene Woodley as Tris I think she's perfect for her

Mikaylah Porter | 4 comments I think Shailene has the right right face for Tris but they should die her hair blonde. I think Theo James looks too old for Tobias. I also always pictured Tobias's face shorter. But oh well! We'll see how it will turn out! I think Shailene will be a good Tris, hopefully.

Samantha (xxangelsridexx) | 3 comments I don't think Shailene would be a good Tris at all! I pictured Tris really, really blond and small but kind of a badass since the beginning and that's not how Shailene is, but well, guess we'll have to watch the movie. For Theo James as Four, I have no doubts, yeah, maybe he's a little bit older-looking that what you could picture as Four, but for the movie I think he's great (: (Zero words for the rest! Except that Ansel and Shailene will be doing TFiOS and they're Caleb and Tris and it's kind of awkward).

message 16: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 56 comments I think that Tom Hiddleston the actor who played Loki in Thor and Avengers should have a big role in this movie. I think maybe he should play Tobias.

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan Hamm (meganhamm) | 1 comments I went to school with Miles Teller. We were good friends, in Drama club together. I think he is an amazing actor, but I think I am going to have a very hard time seeing him portray a bad guy. And Peter is the ULTIMATE bad guy. I am very interested in seeing how he is going to bring Peter to life. And I Think that Miss Woodley will be a good Tris. She is a strong actress, and she can bring a good dynamic to the movie.

message 18: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 56 comments Megan wrote: "I went to school with Miles Teller. We were good friends, in Drama club together. I think he is an amazing actor, but I think I am going to have a very hard time seeing him portray a bad guy. And P..."

Have you ever seen Thor, Avengers, The Deep Blue Sea, or War Horse. Tom Hiddleston played in all of those movies. I think that Tom Hiddleston would portray Tobias the best because In Thor and Avengers he played the notorious villian Loki and in War Horse he played a good guy in the war. He played Captain Nicholls. So I think he would be the perfect person for Tobias considering how Tobias seems like he might be a bad guy at first and then he turns out to be in love with Tris. In the movie Deep Blue Sea he played Freddie Page and he was a romantic in that movie and so I think he would bring that part of Tobias to life in a never before seen way as well. Not to mention I am freaking in love with Tom Hiddleston as well. He is so freaking hot. I LOVE TOM HIDDLESTON AND I SHALL SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS. Im also crazy just to let you no.

Gracie (gracie25) | 8 comments I heard that Shailene is gonna play Hazel Grace in The Fault in Our Stars, and Ansel Elgort is gonna play Augustus Waters in The Fault in Our Stars

Victoria (tori213) | 6 comments In Divergent, Shailene and Ansel play brother and sister, while in The Fault in Our Stars, they play boyfriend and girlfriend! Anybody else find it weird?

Victoria (tori213) | 6 comments In Divergent, Shailene and Ansel play brother and sister, while in The Fault in Our Stars, they play boyfriend and girlfriend! Anybody else find it weird?

Natalie | 119 comments I don't think it's weird because it's 2 different stories/movies and that's what an actor does: play different roles and I mean if we are nitpicking: Miles and Shailene play a couple in The Spectacular Now and are enemies in Divergent. That being said I think it was just kinda lazy casting and maybe also the thought that they can cash in on Shailene and Ansel's names because if Divergent is going to be the hit everyone hypes it up to be it can be profitable to have those 2 in the movie :/

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments It isn't that awkward. Also fault in our stars isn't a series it's a Stand Alone so it's not like they'll be switching on and off brother sister to lover. Unless if they gain any critical acclaim for TFIOS, I think at least in Shai's case, she'll be most remembered for being tris in divergent.

Stephanie (bubbleslol63) | 4 comments Omg Kate Winslet and the photo they released from the movie... Definitely fits Jeanine.
Caleb was pretty cute too ;) hehe
And Maggie Q for Tori was def the way I imagined her.

As for the rest... Eh not exactly how I pictured them but as long as they act well and get their parts right, I'll be so down ill be underground like the Dauntless sector... Woo... Ha-ha. -dry humor-

Yay super excited for the movie overall :D

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments Kate Winslet is the PERFECT Jeanine, I just wish she wore some glasses :( This is a total fail but I didn't even know Tori was Asian until I reread the books, do yeah Maggie Qs great! I'm just really happy with all the cast :)

message 26: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Jackson | 181 comments I can't wait to see the movie! The pictures from the movie seems to fit the characters well, but I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments I agree Amy! The stills for the characters look very similar to how I imagined them. Especially Four!!

message 28: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Jackson | 181 comments Oh, Four is just amazing in everything. I want to reread the series now that the cast is out to see if they do fit in my mind.

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments I did that on my last read and am finally able to see Shailene as Tris! I'm going to reread the books before Allegiant comes out! I'm planning all these ways to get decked out Divergent style in honor of Allegiant's release! My friend and I are going to get Henna raven tattoos like tris'!!

message 30: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Jackson | 181 comments Oh cool, I want to do that with my friend, too, I wonder if we will. Oh cool, I love henna!

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments I've never had a Henna before so it will be a cool experience. I really hope that Barnes and Nobles or other book stores will have an Allegiant release event. I know Borders, oh Borders I miss you!!!, did one for Deathly Hallows. I went and it was really fun. They gave away posters and such. Aghhhh wish Veronica could come to my state!!!!

message 32: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex (alexefreeze) | 2 comments I was surprised to find out Shailene is going to be Tris and i hope she does good in the movie because i wasn't a big fan of her in Secret Life of an American Teenager. She was kind of annoying and snobby but maybe she's just good at acting and fooled me.? I am ok with the guy whos gonna be four but he's not how i imagined Tobias to look, OH WELL! :D

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments The problem with Secret Life was the script. It didn't really give Shai much to work with. Also she had to play a jerky character. In an interview she confessed by the end she was not a fan of where the show went. I think maybe if you give the Descendents or her new film the Spectacular Now a try, that may be a better showcase of her talents

message 34: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 56 comments Tom Hiddleston is the way to go for either the character of Eric or Tobias and preferrably its Tobias. My vote is for Tom Hiddleston cause hes so freaking hot anyone else think that Tom Hiddleston is just the hottest thing that ever or ever will walk the face of this earth

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments Theo actually looks very similar to the Four I imagined. Tom is spot on for Eric, he's great with playing villains, he made Thor just amazing! Too bad he didn't try out or anything
:(

message 36: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 56 comments Stormy wrote: "Theo actually looks very similar to the Four I imagined. Tom is spot on for Eric, he's great with playing villains, he made Thor just amazing! Too bad he didn't try out or anything
:("

I no right. It makes me so sad. But yeah given his portrayal of the villain loki I think Eric is the perfect character for him to play especially since Eric is so menacing and mean and he was good at playing loki. the only problem I have picturing him as eric is the fact that eric has a buch of body piercings and Tom Hiddleston has none that I know of. I guess that could all be done with makeup effects though right. R u a huge fan of Tom Hiddleston like me. He has got to be my soulmate.

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments I'm a huge Tom Hiddleston fan!! Right up there next to Benedict Cumberbatch (ahhh love him)!! All the stills I've seen of Eric so far he hasn't had any piercings. He's just very heavily tattooed. The problem is that Tom's notable role IS Loki and I think throughout all of Divergent I would be expecting him to put on his reindeer antler thingy lol!

message 38: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 56 comments Stormy wrote: "I'm a huge Tom Hiddleston fan!! Right up there next to Benedict Cumberbatch (ahhh love him)!! All the stills I've seen of Eric so far he hasn't had any piercings. He's just very heavily tattooed. T..."

I think that helmet is kinda sexy don't you? Id be expecting that as well. Id be waiting for him to electricute somebody with a sceptor as well. He would probable tell the kids that in order to be king they have to pass initiation first. lol

message 39: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 56 comments Loretta wrote: "Stormy wrote: "I'm a huge Tom Hiddleston fan!! Right up there next to Benedict Cumberbatch (ahhh love him)!! All the stills I've seen of Eric so far he hasn't had any piercings. He's just very heav..."

oh and btw I don't think Benedict cumberbacht even comes close to the way I feel for Tom Hiddleston. Im just saying that thats the way I feel.

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments The antlers are pretty cool :) It's just that usually an a actor just becomes generally associated with a role. For example everytime I see Jen Lawrence I think she's gonna pull out a bow and arrow and go shoot a squirrel. I'm kinda a Star Trek nerd (Trekkie :) ) so I got obsessed with Benedict Cumberbatch when he played the main villain. Though everyone has their own taste :)

Kaylah Eiramenna Carrell (wearebutdustandshadow) | 32 comments my best friend Shannons older brother is in the movie! his last name is Norris he's a mixed martial artist so he is one of the background fighters on Dauntless!!!!!(((:

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments That's so cool! Did he get to interact with some of the main cast?

Kaylah Eiramenna Carrell (wearebutdustandshadow) | 32 comments I think so((: she has a picture of him and some of the Dauntless cast on her page..i can add it to my goodreads profile if you wanna see?(:

Abigail | 290 comments They should totally switch the actors for Peter and Al

message 45: by readeraz, Co-Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

readeraz (zoethereader) | 405 comments Cast:
Tris- I absolutely love Shailene as Tris, I think she will portray Tris's character perfectly! I think her appearance is almost perfect for Tris, sure Tris is supposed to be very fierce looking with angular cheekbones. And with blonde hair. But honestly throughout the whole series I imagined her to be pretty, and with auburn colored hair!

Tobias- I also love Theo as Tobias, he is very buff and very attractive. He also has a sense of mystery, and darkness that I imagined Four with throughout the series. Not to mention he has an amazing smile!

Jeanine- I think Kate is absolutely perfect for Jeanine. She not only looks exactly like I pictured Jeanine, but she is a great actress! Freaking perfect!

Al/Peter- I have to agree with Abigail on this. I think these actors should be switched. Peter is supposed to be partially attractive and have a sense of meanness to him. The actor (ansel) I think will not do that part justice. As for Al I imagined Al very sweet looking, pudgy and tall. Not attractive like his actor is. (Idk the actors name)

Christina- I LOVE Christina! I think she will be perfect as Christina, not only appearance but her personality!
Eric- I think the actor playing Eric is perfect. He looks scary, and really just, mean. I think he will also be amazing!

Over all I really like the cast! Sure they're are certain things that aren't perfect, but there really is no perfect cast to every single person. Because we all have our own opinions! I am very excited to see this cast perform in the movie! I am so excited!

Abigail | 290 comments I totally agree with Zoe!

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments Very well said Zoe! But I have to disagree on the Peter issue. I think Miles is a good choice for Peter, he kinda has that personality that I imagined Peter had.

message 48: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon (jonnyspaztic) | 13 comments Shailene Woodley is kind of tall for Tris. In the book it describes her as being much shorter than Tobias.

Stormy :) (Stormy0218) | 1043 comments At least the rest of the cast is considerably taller than her.

message 50: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Jackson | 181 comments :P Good point, Stormy! I think that's one of the reasons why I'm fine with the cast. Cannot wait for the movie!

« previous 1