Classic Historical Fiction discussion

Classic HF Authors > Dorothy Dunnett

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 132 comments Folliesgirl14 wrote: "From all the reviews I've read, people either love or hate her books. I understand that they are rather complicated and one must really pay attention when reading them, but I don't really mind tha..."

I've only read the Lymond series, which I loved to bits. They are thinkers, but when I finally built up my courage I found it so similar to Dumas that I settled right in. I can only speak for the Lymond books.

message 2: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) I too love the Lymond books, especially the last three (Pawn in Frankincense, The Ringed Castle, and Checkmate). I tried reading the House of Niccolo series and her Macbeth novel and just couldn't get into them, although other people love them.

Good luck on your shopping spree!

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Huston (telynor) | 3 comments Start with the Lymond books. The Game of Kings is the first one. Personally, I love all of her work.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (hdkingsbury) I've never read her Lymond books (although I've read good things about them), but I did read her King Hereafter last year -- her take on the story of the real Macbeth. As has been mentioned about her writing, this book is filled with deep, rich detail.

message 5: by Jody (new)

Jody I have to nominate the first Nicolo (Rising)
book to read first. I loved the Nicolo series, but couldn't get into the Lymond series (yet?).

message 6: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Mar 23, 2013 08:17PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 45 comments I have not read Dorothy Dunnett, but am definitely interested.

ETA: My local library has The Game of Kings; I may get that next time I'm there.

message 7: by Peter (new)

Peter Smith | 1 comments I started with Niccolo Rising and a couple more in the Niccolo series, then ended up reading the two series in parallel. To judge from the Dunnett readers who post online, most persist in preferring the series that they read first. I fit the pattern, though I'm a big fan of both series.
I have begun advising any acquaintances who seem interested that they should begin with Niccolo Rising because it's more "accessible" than Game of Kings (the first Lymond book). Many people seem to start GOK and not get through it.
If you do start with the Niccolo series and decide you're going to read all the books in both, I would advise that you finish the Lymond series before reading Gemini, the last Niccolo book. We learn in Gemini which characters in the Lymond series are descendants of which characters in the Niccolo series, so it's good at that point to know the whole Lymond series so that you can understand what Gemini is trying to explain.
Just my two cents.

message 8: by Linda (new)

Linda (katknit) I, too, loved the Niccolo series and after three tries, gave up on Lymond.

message 9: by Cphe (new)

Cphe I've had the Lymond chronicles in my TBR pile, like forever.

Someone told me that they were quite convoluted so I've been putting off reading them until I can give them the attention they will undoubtedly deserve.

message 10: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 132 comments Cphe wrote: "I've had the Lymond chronicles in my TBR pile, like forever.

Someone told me that they were quite convoluted so I've been putting off reading them until I can give them the attention they will und..."

I put them off for the longest time for the same reason. You do need to have your thinking hat on, but not quite the mind benders I expected. The writing style at times was so similar to Dumas (who I love reading), that I was grabbed from the get-go.

message 11: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) I just received Gemini and am looking forward to tackling it, although I have about 8 other books to finish first. Sigh.

message 12: by Marie (new)

Marie Macpherson (goodreadscommarie_macpherson) | 5 comments For me Dorothy Dunnett is the gold standard of HF writing though an acquired taste I agree.
Readers here might be interested to know about the Dorothy Dunnett society which gives more info, arranges talks and conferences. See link
http://dunnettcentral.org/

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (hdkingsbury) Thanks for the link! I always enjoy learning more about author I like.