Mystery Lovers! discussion

Tips & Resources > What do you use to find new books?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan (booklover777) | 38 comments I'm interested to see what others use to find new mysteries to read. I subscribe to the SKYM (Stop You're Killing Me!) newsletter - sign up at their website: www.stopyourekillingme.com/
I also subscribe to the New York Times Book Update (http://nytimes.com/); and to Shelf Awareness, which is a book trade newsletter, available here: www.shelf-awareness.com/. I then go to my local library website to put the newest things on hold. I often am in the top 10 or 20 for the newest books this way.
I will even troll a bookstore and copy down titles that interest me and try to get them at the library - the joys of low disposable income! Anyway, what do you all use?

message 2: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 26 comments I belong to several online reading groups and they are the main source for finding new to me authors. I go to the library regularly but I also go to regular and used book stores.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth Right now, my primary source of mystery books for my ever-growing TBR pile is releases by fellow Colorado mystery authors I've gotten to know, and releases by other mystery authors published by my publisher, Five Star Publishing. I also chat with the proprietor of my local independent mystery bookstore to get his recommendations.

For those of you who do not have the inside track like I do, I recommend joining the DorothyL email loop, named after Dorothy L Sayers. You can sign up at http://www.dorothyl.com/ . Lots of mystery authors, readers, librarians, reviewers, etc. belong to the list and post their recommendations.

Also, look for the winners of the various awards in the mystery field (usually posted to the loop, too), like the Edgars, Agathas, Leftys, etc.

message 4: by *Nan* (new)

*Nan* (Nan4471) I check on Barnes and Noble website to see what books are going to be releases soon or go on to the websites of my favorite authors to see if they have anybooks that are going to be released in the next 6 months.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela I check on Amazon (recommendations) and the NYT Review of Books. I also get updates from Dennis Lehane's website. About once every 6 months, I troll Amazon to see if my favorite authors (Paretsky, Laurie King, Lehane, Pelicanos, Connelly, among others) have books available for preorder. I also get updates from Amazon on Mysteries (and also thrillers).

message 6: by Lawriter (new)

Lawriter | 13 comments Mostly web sites like this one. That's how i heard about Stephen J. Cannell's new mystery Three Shirt Deal: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2XYUhYONnzc

message 7: by David (new)

David (mugsynoir) | 14 comments I belong to several online groups on Yahoo.com.

4MA (4 Mystery Addicts) is the larger with over 1000 members. At the end of each month, many members list their reads for that month. It is an international group, so we hear about new authors from Australia, Scandinavia and the UK, before they're released in the US.

Murder and Mayhem, in addition to discussing mysteries and thrillers also discuss horror works.

Below are links to the sites.
Dave

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4_Myste...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/murdera...

message 8: by Bentley (new)

message 9: by Lillian (new)

Lillian | 26 comments I also get Sop Your Killing Me mystery letter and I also get Blood stained bookshelf . The Latter sends out a monthly list of what is coming out in the next six months. I also go to the library - that's where I usually try out new to me authors before I buy their books. I also like to browse in bookstores. I also beong to several online mystery lists where I find out about new authors and new books.

Lillian

message 10: by Rob (new)

Rob McMonigal I get mine from reading the New York Times Book Review, recommendations from Goodreads friends, and sometimes just a random searching of my local library shelves.

message 11: by Denise (new)

Denise (niser) | 26 comments I check bn.com Mystery page for the Agatha award winners and authors from England-

message 12: by Babette (last edited Aug 09, 2008 01:40PM) (new)

Babette | 6 comments The Fantastic Fiction website http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
lists books of all types, but you can do an easy search on Mystery or Thriller by letter of the alphabet to narrow the list.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (AndreaG) | 15 comments For mysteries, I get my new book/author recommendations from a couple friends who also read msysteries, Stop You're Killing Me, and the print catalog put out by Rue Morgue Press.

If you haven't come across Rue Morgue, they publish/re-issue books that are out of print with the bigger publishere. Frequently cosies, some British, some American. A few that were published in England but not in the State. Their print catalog includes some of their titles, but also a select list from other publishers. I found one of my recent favorite authors, Colin Cotterill through their catalog.

message 14: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 97 comments I'll sometimes read a book mentioned in a book I'm reading. And I'm on a number of email alerts on authors sites. Most of the books I read are by my favorite authors. I wait and wait and wait until a new one comes out. I just finished reading The Reaper by John Connolly and Swan Peak by James Lee Burke and I'm sad to realize it'll probably be another year before another one of their books come out.

If one of my favorite authors do not have their own website, I'll get on an email mailing list for the publisher. That's been pretty sucessful, too.

message 15: by Spuddie (new)

Spuddie | 37 comments I subscribe to many of my favorite authors' newsletters and (for those who have them) Amazon Daily blogs, which gives pretty early info on new releases. Also use SYKM newsletter, Fantastic Fiction site, my library's "forthcoming fiction" link (what they have just placed orders for) and occasionally Amazon recommendations will cough up a book or two available for pre-order that I didn't know about.

Cheryl

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenforbus) | 57 comments I also subscribe to DorothyL, where I've gotten quite a few good recommendations. In addition, I have a number of blogs I check regularly; actually I keep them on my Bloglines, which tells me when they've been updated. Between the blogs and hearing what other goodreads readers have to say about books, I have a TBR pile that is out of control!!