Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > Most Villainous Villain

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany So, who is your favorite villain in a horror novel? (Or, if naming the villain would be a huge spoiler, which horror novel has the best villain?)

message 2: by Rade (new)

Rade Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "Misery-Annie Wilkes. Terrifying villain."

Yes, she scared the hell out of me. She can be calm one minute and go totally berserk the next.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate | 3520 comments Pennywise the clown

message 4: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Cthulhu

message 5: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Randall Flagg

message 6: by Jon Recluse (new)

Jon Recluse | 12043 comments Mod
Daniel Flowers Bunkowski, a.k.a: Chaingang

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

There are a lot villains I've enjoyed - always love a 'good' bad guy - but the one that I think has scared me the most....?

Cujo. Don't smile. It's true. I loved dogs before I saw that movie and read the book. After - terrified of them. I was a kid at the time. But I remember having to walk pass a St. Bernard - yeah you can imagine my fear. I love dogs again - now that I'm older. But when I see a big dog barking I still have that thought in the back of my mind - Cujo!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I've heard that Benchley felt bad about villainizing sharks in Jaws... Wonder if King ever felt any similar guilt for Cujo?

message 9: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Traci L. wrote: "I've heard that Benchley felt bad about villainizing sharks in Jaws... Wonder if King ever felt any similar guilt for Cujo?"

I read a nonfiction book by Benchley about sharks. He seemed to be absolutely in love with them, and he definitely expressed remorse about Jaws. It was really interesting to read.

message 10: by Char (new)

Char  | 13721 comments Mod
Yeah, I have to go with Randall Flagg as well.

message 11: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments In Laymon book Endless night Simon quirt and his group. They always stuck in my mind. Groups of killers always freak me out more then one serial killer.

message 12: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel Brehmer | 33 comments Randall Flagg is probably my number one as well.

Mamoulian from Clive Barker's The Damnation Game has always stuck out to me as well, and of course Count Dracula is right up there as well.

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) Alex DeLarge (A Clockwork Orange)
Big Brother (1984)

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Randall Flagg owns it. I also like Rhea the Coos and The Tick Tock Man from The Dark Tower series. Meaning I hate them.

Additionally, I'm reading Desperation right now, and I gotta tell you, that cop is one mean beast.

I suppose I could choose non-King villains, but hopefully this adds to the discussion.

message 15: by Nathaniel (new)

Nathaniel Brehmer | 33 comments Rosa and Jacob from Clive Barker's Sacrament, The Jaff from The Great and Secret Show and Patrick Bateman from American Psycho have just sprung to mind as well. As well as Ruth in Jack Ketchum's The Girl Next Door.

message 16: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Yes, Nathaniel! Ruth from TGND. Grrrr...I'm getting mad just thinking about her!

message 17: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Jonathan wrote: "I suppose I could choose non-King villains, but hopefully this adds to the discussion."

It has to be said for King, but he really does have some of the best villains. I suppose that's why they are thought of again & again.

That being said, Randall Flagg definitely has it (reading The Stand right now, in fact).

message 18: by Paul (new)

Paul Flewitt | 51 comments The Jaff and Tommy Ray from The Great and Secret Show, Randall Flagg from The Stand and The Talisman, The General from The Long Walk, Maestro Sartori from Imajica

message 19: by Char (new)

LinBee wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "I suppose I could choose non-King villains, but hopefully this adds to the discussion."

It has to be said for King, but he really does have some of the best villains. I suppose t..."

What about Pennywise?

message 20: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 835 comments Crap! How could I forget freaking Pennywise?!?!

message 21: by Char (new)

To this day, I avoid sewer grates.

message 22: by Holly (last edited Jun 22, 2013 04:42AM) (new)

Holly (goldikova) My favorite villain is Aloysius Rosebottom from T. E. D. Klein's "The Ceremonies".

I also have a definite fondness for Minnie & Roman Castevet even though I don't find them to be particularly frightening.

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris (bibliophile85) Holly wrote:

I also have a definite fondness for Minnie & Roman Castevet even though I don't find them to be particularly fr..."

Nice one! They are absolutely frightening because they remind us that anyone could turn out to be something more sinister than they appear....that the real horrors of life are not committed by ghouls and goblins, but by people who look just like you and I....the ones that blend in unnoticed through society. Minnie and Roman are terrifying in this regard.

message 24: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Chris wrote: "Holly wrote:

I also have a definite fondness for Minnie & Roman Castevet even though I don't find them to be particularly fr..."

Nice one! They are absolutely frightening because they remind u..."

They certainly give us cause to look a little more closely at our neighbors.....I wonder if that was a sub-conscious factor in buying a house on a corner lot?

message 25: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments My favorite moment in the film is when Minnie tries to rub out the mark made by the knife that Rosemary dropped into the floor - it's so hilarious that in the midst of the triumph of the antichrist, she's worried how her floors look. You can get a little more of Ruth Gordon in the role in LOOK WHAT'S HAPPENED TO ROSEMARY'S BABY which I reviewed on Goodreads here:

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

message 26: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments In my review of The Ceremonies I described Aloysius Rosebottom as "if Truman Capote was a worshiper of Yog Sothoth"

message 27: by Holly (new)

Holly (goldikova) Shawn wrote: "In my review of The Ceremonies I described Aloysius Rosebottom as "if Truman Capote was a worshiper of Yog Sothoth""

Love it!

message 28: by LinBee (new)

LinBee Charlene wrote: What about Pennywise?"

Yes, Pennywise definitely is up there on that list too!

message 29: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments Melanie in Carrion Comfort. Vile, vile creature.

message 30: by Greg (new)

Greg | 14 comments I was just about to say Melanie Fuller from Dan Simmons' CARRION COMFORT...

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Melanie is the ultimate cold-hearted bitch villain.

message 32: by David (new)

David (captainmarvel) | 39 comments Hannibal

message 33: by Ron (new)

Ron | 373 comments Schedoni for pure vileness.

The Angry Lawn Gnome (mostlyharmlessreviews) Traci L. wrote: "I've heard that Benchley felt bad about villainizing sharks in Jaws... Wonder if King ever felt any similar guilt for Cujo?"

IIRC, King is a dog owner, so I'd hope so. Though I think they're little dogs.

And doesn't he say something in On Writing about having been so under the influence of drugs and booze back in the day that he has no memory at all of actually writing Cujo?

Oh, and for me it would have to be Mort from King's The Drawing of the Three.

message 35: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments Hannibal or Randall Flagg

message 36: by J. (new)

J. Fenn (jlincolnfenn) | 21 comments The Overlook Hotel in The Shining. Making a place a villain - brilliant.

message 37: by Davíð (new)

Davíð Sigurður | 12 comments I'm quite fond of Lord Loss from the Demonata series

message 38: by Lars Olav (new)

Lars Olav Tungesvik (lars_olav) Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar in Gaiman's Neverwhere. Two horrible and evil characters. His best evil characters he has written i think.

message 39: by James (new)

James | 168 comments Melissa, from the book I'm reading right now -- Brian Hodge's MAD DOGS.

What a bitch!!! (if you ladies will please excuse the term . . . but I know if you've read it you would agree)

Another one, but I'll have to be discreet due to the fact that identifying the villain would be a huge spoiler: the bad guy in Gillian Flynn's wonderful GONE GIRL.

Devious. So frigging DEVIOUS beyond words . . . .