Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Kindle Samples

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (cjjjjj) | 2 comments I noticed this entry for the kindle sample of the Hangman's Daughter
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/96...
Am I correct in assuming that this should be combined with the Kindle edition?

message 2: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl No, it should be kept separate because it is not the complete work.

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl In fact there's a librarian note (visible only in combine view) alerting people not to combine.

message 4: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (cjjjjj) | 2 comments I haven't seen any other kindle books with this distinction and all of them have samples available for free. I saw the note I just wasn't sure what the policy on Kindle samples was.

message 5: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Just to clarify: Kindle samples on their own do not qualify as books, and should be merged into their full works, with a single exception. If the sample has a identifying number of its own then an edition may be added, and the sample should not be combined with the full work.

message 6: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 152 comments lafon حمزة wrote: "Just to clarify: Kindle samples on their own do not qualify as books, and should be merged into their full works, with a single exception. If the sample has a identifying number of its own then an edition may be added, and the sample should not be combined with the full work."

Just want to make sure I have this correct, because I get/read a lot of the individual samples:
If a sample/excerpt/story is released separately (not through the "read a sample" Nook/Kindle button) and has its own identifying number, ASIN/ISBN/etc., then it should be a separate entry on Goodreads and should not be merged into the full-length work?

That's been my assumption, but since so many of them have been combined with the full works, I just wanted to double-check before I go separating all the ones on my shelves.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42507 comments Mod
Correct.

message 8: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 152 comments rivka wrote: "Correct."

Thanks, rivka!