r/books discussion

Introductions > Hi, I'm Darren

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darren (new)

Darren Lee (slappa_da_bass) | 12 comments I'm 21, currently living in the UK and I am a student. I have only been an avid reader for the past 18 months and it's kind of on the back burner at the moment while I am finishing off my degree.

I enjoy a wide variety of books from different genres but I am currently ploughing through the ASOIF series and reading a few books in between.

I hope to be a part of some good discussions with this group and see different peoples view points on books.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (icecheeseplease) Hello and welcome! The Ice and Fire series is going to be one of the next series I start after I get through a few others. I hope the group does well and that you find or make good discussions as well- and let me know if you see any room for improvements.

message 3: by Darren (new)

Darren Lee (slappa_da_bass) | 12 comments It's a fantastic series and difficult to put down once started. I will try and contribute as much as possible.

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee ASOIAF is an amazing series. I started with watching the show so I didn't find books 1 and 2 that addicting, but when I got to book 3 I was hooked on the book. I've stopped reading the series for now while I concentrate on other books I've neglected and prepare for season 3 to release on Easter. How're you finding the series?

message 5: by Darren (new)

Darren Lee (slappa_da_bass) | 12 comments The series is brilliant I am struggling to hold myself back from finishing it off. I was in a similar situation, I watched series 1 then started reading the books and got hooked on them! I am spacing the series out at the moment so I am just finishing off a book by Salman Rushdie and then I'm going to start a feast for crows. Where are you in the series?

message 6: by Lee (new)

Lee I just finished A Storm of Swords this past week. I started ASOS and The Amber Spyglass at the same time so I'm focusing now on finishing The Amber Spyglass before I move onto A Feast For Crows

message 7: by Darren (new)

Darren Lee (slappa_da_bass) | 12 comments I've had the His Dark Materials series on my list for a while, are they good?

message 8: by Rose, Mod (new)

Rose (rtrinh) | 153 comments Mod
His Dark Materials is excellent. I read the series when I was younger and in middle school. It was a book meant for children but as an adult you see things in the series that you wouldn't have otherwise, I think. There's a lot of inspiration from older literature and of course, you always want to read something that is on a religious ban list. :)

message 9: by Darren (new)

Darren Lee (slappa_da_bass) | 12 comments If it is on a religious ban list then it surely must be an interesting read. Personally I enjoy reading books that can be seen as aimed at teenagers as there is a lot that can be missed when being younger. I recently reread all of the Harry Potter books and was surprised at how much I had missed when I read them a few years ago.