Debate Teams and Ratings discussion

World/Teen/Real Life Problems > How to Prevent SUICIDE from HAPPENING

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Booknerdswift♥, Neutral Debater (new)

♥Booknerdswift♥ | 634 comments Mod
Ideas:

1. STOP BULLYING!!!!

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 16, 2013 02:24PM) (new)

2. Know the signs to suicide.
E.g. Sudden changes in the person, pushing friends/family away, etc.

message 3: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (skippingstones4) 3. Be willing to listen and help.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

4. Don't turn your back on someone who's going through a bad patch.

message 5: by notyourfriend (new)

notyourfriend (amemori) | 16 comments 5. tell them encouraging things.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

6. Try and get them to seek help needed.

message 7: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabshi) 7. Don't interrogate them by two police and a guidance counselor for over three hours at school and then call their mother so she will come and get all emotional and upset and she and their father will give you long talks and treat you weirdly for months on end.

Michelle Sedai of the Brown Ajah (michellekobus) 8. Don't tell them to "just get over it." It doesn't help, and can actually make things worse.

message 9: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (skippingstones4) 9. Stand up for people who are getting bullied, be the person to make a difference.

message 10: by ♥Booknerdswift♥, Neutral Debater (new)

10. Be like Rachel Joy Scott, who tried to stop bullying. Help others, who feel left out, unloved. Be like her. She tried to make a difference, which started a chain reaction.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

11. Don't ignore the signs.

message 12: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabshi) 13. Don't change the topic when they bring it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 13: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabshi) 15. Encourage them to smile. Even if you are unhappy, smiling boosts your brain and makes you think you are at least somewhat happy.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

16. Give them chocolate.

message 15: by Sierra (new)

Sierra (skippingstones4) 17. Help them find a hobby to take their mind off of things.

message 16: by Redange (new)

Redange Thompson | 3 comments These recommendations might all be true but you have to remember that not all potential suicide persons show any of those signs some are very. Good at hiding it

message 17: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabshi) I was. That's for sure.

message 18: by Redange (new)

Redange Thompson | 3 comments I suggest you tell yourself that dispite the problem nothing is more important than life itself its a blessing

message 19: by ♥Booknerdswift♥, Neutral Debater (new)

Try to talk to someone.

message 20: by ♥Booknerdswift♥, Neutral Debater (new)

21. Hang out with them and do stuff you didn't do before. Do that, and that could change their mind.

message 21: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (papergalaxies) If suspecting a victim of possible suicide simply sit down and talk to them. Reassure them that you are there for them. Listen to their reasoning. Relate their problems to yours or other friends problems. Help them realize they aren't the only one with these struggles. With this they should be reassured that they are not messed up in anyway. In dire circumstances call 1-800-SUICIDE.

message 22: by ♥Booknerdswift♥, Neutral Debater (new)

Don't ignore people who are depressed or acting differently

message 23: by Gabrielle (new)

Gabrielle (gabshi) Tell people you care about them. That you're there for them. Give them hugs, even if they don't want them.

message 24: by Elise (new)

Elise (elisemae) | 6 comments Be there for the person and tell them they are not alone. My friend had this issue and I kept telling her that I'm here listening. I helped her through thinking of suicide. If they push away and/or get worse call suicide prevention. They will eventually realize you're there to help.